• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX CrashBoxes?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello All,

I've just enabled Crash Detection at the airport I'm currently developing, however, were ever I fly in the area of my scenery (Inside boundary fence) the aircraft keeps crashing, how can I add crashbixes or alter the models so that hitting these models doesn't cause a crash?

The simple answer ofcourse is to turn off Crash Detetion, though some users prefer not to, :mad:

Kind regards.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

When exporting your MDL objects you can determine if they have crash detection of not. So if you for example have big fence object, you might have to export it without crash detection. Else if can have one big crash box.

Country
unitedkingdom
Right ok - MakeMDL doesn't seem to give me the option (Goes straight on with the export) So how do I go about Stopping MakeMDL to edit this change?

This is FSX.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Is it FS2004 or FSX? For FSX you would be working with XtoMDL, not with MakeMDL. In that case you would need to use the attachtool script to define the no crash zones.

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks for that Arno, the No Crash now works - the only issue I'm having is with my Light boxes, these also have Effects attached so once the No Crash is assigned this also removes the Effects and visa versa?

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Right ok - MakeMDL doesn't seem to give me the option (Goes straight on with the export) So how do I go about Stopping MakeMDL to edit this change?

This is FSX.

Many thanks.

If you are exporting for FS2004 using MakeMDL.exe, then simply add the flag for "crash" to your MakeMDL.cfg file:

[Settings]
LastDir=

[Options]
Debug=1
ViewLog=1
KeepErrorLog=1
Keep=1
I8=1
I=0
FullMat=1
Deffallback=1
WeldPoints=1
Optimize=0
Flatten=0
NoAnimate=0
HasReflectMap=0
HasNightMap=1
HasLightMap=0
HasDamageMap=0
NegateZ=1
NoLeftToRight=0
SwapBH=0
Vis=0
Crash=0
XML=1

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I would always put Optimize=1 in the cfg file, else you get mdl files that are much less efficient. I am also not sure about debug=1, I believe that also inserts unneeded code.

Country
germany
Sorry but...how exactly do I have to do it with the "No Crash" option in FSX?
Just select the Object in GMAX and open the Attachpoint Tool in the FS Tools, set the marker at "no crash" and then...?
Or do I have do edit a config file like in FS9?