• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Create New Material and Reassign Parts?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I don't know how the math works for a proper conversion, so I'm not sure about that. I did manage to make the part partially transparent by carefully editing the Final Alpha Multiply number.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It's probably better if I set the final alpha attribute, instead of modify the texture. Let me look at that.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I have a question about transparency. I have been using the Set Default Transparent template to set my blurred prop material settings after conversion to FSX. I have been getting some complaints that the blurred props are completely transparent with some liveries painted by others. I have discovered that these painters used a darker alpha channel for their blurred prop texture than the livery I was using within MCX. I also notice that when I use the Set Default Transparent template, the Alpha Test Level changes, based on that alpha channel in the texture. For my blurred prop texture it's set at 100, while for their livery it's set at 66. When I set it to 66, their blurred props are now visible, AND my blurred props look the same as when set at 100.

So I did another test and set the Alpha Test Level to 1. Their blurred props look the same, my blurred props look the same, and now there is no danger of them becoming transparent no matter how dark they set the alpha channel (unless they set it to 0, to purposely make them transparent).

So my question is why does the Set Default Transparent template set the Alpha Test Level to just below the brightest pixel in the texture's alpha channel and not at 1? Especially for objects like aircraft with many different potential textures being used for that material, it would eliminate this problem. Is there *something else* that setting it to the alpha channel value (as MCX does now) does that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Good question. Instinctively it feels like setting it to one always is not a good habit, as you use a much bigger range than needed. But I'm not sure what side effects it can cause. Maybe something to ask in the modeling forum?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I got no answers here or on the Modeling forum. I have tested this in several aircraft parts and scenery objects and found that setting it to 1 gives either no change or better results. Thus I have created my own Transparent template that sets this at 1. If I ever find a problem I will let you know.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
OK, let me know if 1 would be a better value to use in MCX.