Create your own AI ship traffic

Hello friends,

already in 2015 I wrote an extensive tutorial on how to create your own AI ship traffic (with Henrik Nielsens and my ship models) for FSX and P3D.
Since I hadn't found the time to translate the tutorial yet, it was only available in German and I was asked again and again if it would also be available in English.

Now I have revised the brochure and translated it into English. Both versions can now be downloaded from the SimDocks-website without registration.

By the way, if you want to share your ship routes with the community, you will find a special area in the SimDocks forum, where forum members make their routes available for free download (in the German and English forum area).

Last edited:
Hello friends,

already in 2015 I wrote an extensive tutorial on how to create your own AI ship traffic (with Henrik Nielsens and my ship models) for FSX and P3D.
Since I hadn't found the time to translate the tutorial yet, it was only available in German and I was asked again and again if it would also be available in English.

Now I have revised the brochure and translated it into English. Both versions can now be downloaded from the SimDocks-website without registration.

By the way, if you want to share your ship routes with the community, you will find a special area in the SimDocks forum, where forum members make their routes available for free download (in the German and English forum area).

Excellent initiative - could you share the link also in the Avsim thread :D And ps - the new pack will come with a lot of smaller sail ships which could be used in diverse lake projects...

Just added another bunch today...

Hello Henrik,
I have also put it in the AVSIM thread and also reported it to AVSIM.

I am already looking forward to your new package.

Cheers Manfred

Hello and thanks so much Fischkopp for this guide.
I am following it and it has helped me a lot.
But I have a question that I can't find anywhere. When you put an 8week period and 0 as the first day of the route, it will start on a Monday. but what monday? When do you start counting on day 1 of the 8 weeks? Could the "countdown" start on January 1?
My boat is stopped and disappears or has just left, but I don't know when...

Thanks so much and greetings

Hello, Toperillas,

there's no telling what Monday that ship will leave. I assume that the next Monday will be taken as the starting date, but that is not certain. It also depends on the system clock. Since the system only works with weeks, no exact start date can be determined.

If the route has a period of 8 weeks, the ship needs 4 weeks for the one-way route. This would therefore mean that it departs on a Monday and arrives at its destination 4 weeks later on Sunday. When it will leave again depends on your settings. If you let it start again on Sunday, it would arrive on Saturday 4 weeks later. If you prolong the time in the destination port and let it leave on Monday, it will arrive at the starting port on Sunday 4 weeks later.
So it always depends on the settings of the starting times. These are shown in the timetable (unfortunately only with the number of days at sea).
Since you cannot enter an exact start date, you have no other choice than to try the four possible montages with the corresponding start time (ATTENTION UTC not local time).

If your ship disappears at the start or destination point, this is usually due to the fact that the first or last segment of the route is too short. There should be at least 3 ship lengths between the ship's stop (first node of the route) and the second node of the route. The same applies to the penultimate and last node.

By the way, did you try to register on SimDocks today?
If so, my confirmation emails have been returned as undeliverable from all email addresses wich were entered.

Hi. Thank you very much for the quick answer. I may have put the points very close together and ill continue looking for the star day in the 4 first Wells. ... I'll try it again. Thank you very much for these points that clarify how it works.
I've been with the ships for two days and it's got me hooked. help like that is really appreciate.
The record in Simdocks, I'll try again later.