• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX creating a scenery object library bgl?

Apologies to all for asking what must be a very basic question, but I have tried various search term inquiries and have failed to find an answer.

If I have a number of scenery objects bgl's and I want to group them together , how do I create the necessary object folder?

I looked at the Library Object Creator XML tool but it looks like it works from xml models to bgl. How to a group a number of separate bgl's into a cohesive "library name" bgl folder?

:confused:

Thanks,
Obie

Country
spain
De nada :D anyway check if could be a alternative way to export those objects massively, maybe it be very boring exporting all those objects. one by one. MCX is a very usefull tool.
Edit: take a look in "Wizards" batch convert. I think you can take a bgl there and convert to mdl.

Last edited:
Edit: take a look in "Wizards" batch convert. I think you can take a bgl there and convert to mdl.

That is what I tried to do but I think I did not understand the Wiki correctly. I couldn't get it to work. I tried to follow the directions but I didn't end up with a batch convert from BGL to MDL. The MDL output folder was empty. I also tried a single item import and then export individually but that didn't work either. It is clear I am missing a step or don't understand the process.

I have many scenery objects that are single items without being compiled into a "Scenery Library" for my Library Object Manager. It clutters up the LOM and makes it hard to find what I'm looking for. It's as if you had a library of books but they were not shelved by the Dewey Decimal system but simply alphabetized by first letter of the name.
:eek:

If you or Arno or anyone out there can help, it will be much appreciated.

Highest Regards,
Obie

Attachments

• ModelX screencap1.JPG
    ModelX screencap1.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 733
Last edited:
Country
spain
I import a .bgl and add an operator as "center object" and get a few of Mdl files. seem that work but don't know if applying a "center object"could affect in some way, are these objects placed in some scenery ?. could afect his placement.
Someone have to have a better idea about this.

Last edited:
These objects are used in some sceneries but I have created a folder to collect them all. It is this folder I am referencing for batch convert into MdlX_C.

I can see the objects as they flash by in MdlX_C but when it is done there is nothing in the destination Model folder. I hope I am explaining this clearly.

Country
spain
I didn't try I guess you have the SDK installed if that is the case check the path in MCX. I suspect must be something like that when you said that exporting mdl individually didn't work either.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Obie:

This thread has a mix of terms, concepts and names being used which relate to different FS utilities, which IMHO might lead to confusion for yourself and other readers. :eek:

Perhaps a few questions and comments might make things clearer so a workflow more specific to your task(s) might be established. ;)

Are the scenery object library BGLs you are trying to combine into a single larger library BGL ...from other authors ? :confused:

If so, you should not plan to distribute the resulting combined BGL to any other person for use on their FS computer ...without first getting written permission of the authors of those original libraries.

If the resulting combined scenery object library BGL will be used only on your own FS computer, first be aware that having many "separate" scenery object library BGLs installed and 'active' in the FS scenery library does not in itself affect performance at run time during a flight.

However, having many "separate" scenery object library BGLs installed and 'active' in the FS scenery library will likely result in only a slightly slower initial start up of FS itself while it "inventories" those BGLs, their internal MDLs, and all mapped textures; after that performance is not likely to be affected at run time during a flight.

Likewise, having many "separate" scenery object library "placement" BGLs installed and 'active' in the FS scenery library will not be likely to affect performance at run time during a flight, but would likely result in a slightly slower initial start up of FS itself, as IIUC, placement instruction BGLs mapped to scenery objects are "inventoried" independently along with those mapped scenery objects via the containing scenery object library BGLs and their internal MDLs, as well as all mapped textures.

So, we might ask if it is even necessary or desirable to combine scenery object libraries or placement BGLs into a single larger library BGL. :scratchch

If some of the objects are FS9 format MDLs and you wish to convert them to FSX format MDLs, that would involve a workflow utilizing ModelConverterX (aka "MCX" by Arno Gerritsen ...and not to be confused with "MDLC" by Ivan Hsu and/or the windows GUI mod of same "Mk_Mdl_Ver_2.0+" by Morten Krogstad).

FYI: MCX does have the ability to import and batch convert (with placement info if desired) legacy MDL format scenery object library BGLs and older SCASM (non-MDL code format) scenery object BGLs.

Depending on what format the imported scenery object files are in, additional steps may be required to prepare SCASM source code for processing by MCX so they can be imported and then converted etc..

It would be helpful to more thoroughly identify what your goal is, so a workflow can be established. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Obie:

This thread has a mix of terms, concepts and names being used which relate to different FS utilities, which IMHO might lead to confusion for yourself and other readers. :eek:

Perhaps a few questions and comments might make things clearer so a workflow more specific to your task(s) might be established. ;)

Thanks Gary I appreciate the response

Are the scenery object library BGLs you are trying to combine into a single larger library BGL ...from other authors ? :confused:

Yes, this is basically a housekeeping exercise to consolidate a number of scenery objects into one cohesive BGL library. I have so many "libraries" in the LOM it is unwieldy trying to find a specific object. This question pertains to creating a library solely for use in the LOM.

For instance I might combine a number of objects into a library called "WWII Military Objects.BGL". I am stymied by the inefficiency of the organization of the LOM. It is mostly due to the haphazard organization of the various object libraries imported, not the design of ADE itself. Often it requires looking thru many thumbnails to find a particular object you are seeking.

As I understand it, FSX will look for the object when it is called for in an airport scenery by the GUID, not the library. In my FSX world all these freeware third party libraries reside in an Addon Scenery folder called "Static Objects Library" and it contains most of my addon object libraries.These are separate scenery object BGL's from often different designers.

If so, you should not plan to distribute the resulting combined BGL to any other person for use on their FS computer ...without first getting written permission of the authors of those original libraries.

Yes Gary in NO way do I plan to distribute these BGL libraries. They are for internal use only.

If the resulting combined scenery object library BGL will be used only on your own FS computer, first be aware that having many "separate" scenery object library BGLs installed and 'active' in the FS scenery library does not in itself affect performance at run time during a flight.

I don't think this is an issue, my old XP computer loads slowly anyway but all addon sceneries are on an SSD.

However, having many "separate" scenery object library BGLs installed and 'active' in the FS scenery library will likely result in only a slightly slower initial start up of FS itself while it "inventories" those BGLs, their internal MDLs, and all mapped textures; after that performance is not likely to be affected at run time during a flight.

Likewise, having many "separate" scenery object library "placement" BGLs installed and 'active' in the FS scenery library will not be likely to affect performance at run time during a flight, but would likely result in a slightly slower initial start up of FS itself, as IIUC, placement instruction BGLs mapped to scenery objects are "inventoried" independently along with those mapped scenery objects, scenery object library BGLs and their internal MDLs, and all mapped textures.

So, we might ask if it is even necessary or desirable to combine scenery object libraries or placement BGLs into a single larger library BGL. :scratchch

Yes the only reason for the complilation is to organize the LOM more efficiently

If some of the objects are FS9 format MDLs and you wish to convert them to FSX format MDLs, that would involve a workflow utilizing ModelConverterX (aka "MCX" by Arno Gerritsen ...and not to be confused with "MDLC" by Ivan Hsu and/or the windows GUI mod of same "Mk_Mdl_Ver_2.0+" by Morten Krogstad).

FYI: MCX does have the ability to import and batch convert (with placement info if desired) legacy MDL format scenery object library BGLs and older SCASM (non-MDL code format) scenery object BGLs.

Depending on what format the imported scenery object files are in, additional steps may be required to prepare SCASM source code for processing by MCX so they can be imported and then converted etc..
All files are in BGL format

It would be helpful to more thoroughly identify what your goal is, so a workflow can be established. :)I hope I have explained my goal clearly. It is to compile a number of descriptive, logical libraries for quick access in the LOM during airport design w/ ADE.

GaryGB

Again Many thanks for your thoughtful response.

Obie

Country
us-illinois
Hi Obie:

I reviewed your prior posts on this subject matter, and I now better understand what you are trying to accomplish. :idea:

This is indeed a concern that many scenery builders share with regards to having a more efficient way to assign custom categories in a GUI for organizing and viewing FS scenery library objects when deciding what to place in a scenery project. :pushpin:

In the case of freeware scenery packages to be shared with the FS Community, it is also desirable to be able to output an accompanying list of all objects and original scenery object libraries (referencing the public distribution file name used by the original Author) ...from which the objects are derived, so end users can download the needed files and display the complete scenery as intended.

There continues to be a need for enhancement of such a feature set in existing FS scenery design and object placement utilities. :eek:

No doubt the ADE team is at this time working on several fronts to enhance feature sets in ADE which have also long been in need of a comprehensive review and implementation of new tools and a GUI to manage and place (ex: Ground Polys) and other scenery content which is more often utilized in airport design and editing.

There are also a number of other known scenery content issues more often pertinent to airport design and editing and flying itself, which await comprehensive review and implementation of new tools and a GUI by a team such as Scruffyduck et al.

Such scenery content issues might otherwise not be addressed to bring FSX into a more updated status if the ADE team's priorities are diverted to other less "airport-specific" aspects of scenery building, so I suppose our enduring patience may be conducive to an eventual overall enhancement of the FS flying experience, and of the resources available for scenery development via ADE.

Many thanks to Scruffyduck for his excellent efforts to date with the original stand-alone LOM, and hopefully as well for eventual future updates to the LOM feature set in ADE. ;)

And thanks to you as well, Obie, for so kindly advocating the ongoing need to improve the tools that FS developers may use to manage and place scenery library objects. :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi Gary and lurkers,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. First of all I too want to express my gratitude to devs like Jon and Arno who generously share their immense brainpower and scarce time with us FlightSimmers.

I apologize for not originally expressing my thoughts more clearly and succinctly but your last post indicates you have grasped my specific request and also understood the greater issue of Scenery Object Library organiz(s)ation access and utiliz(s)ation.

Disregarding the other important issue of importing and linking of Thumbnails to GUID's, it would seem to me that basically the LOM is a database.

The find text box is most useful but other than looking at 6000+ thumbnails there's not much way to search for specific objects.

My screencap 1 shows a typical LOM library. I'm not picking on Todd Lucas, as I appreciate all his contributions, but his library came up first.

Let's say I am looking for a vintage airstair. This library contains a variety of objects running the gamut from a couple of nice buildings to a cruise ship, fences and even a tent. They all are "named" add Todd Lucas Objects BGL.XXX.

If we a could perhaps add just two more descriptor fields to the database, and add a descriptor search box, it would help hone in our search. Say in the instance of screencap 2, add Todd Lucas Objects BGL.005, we had two more descriptors, BLUE and AIRSTAIR, it would cull out the fences, barbeque grills, buildings, etc from the search.

Regarding my initial inquiry of creating a grouping of like Scenery Objects into a custom affinity library, perhaps someone with skills far in excess of mine, could create a feature in the LOM such as SEND to LIBRARY that would allow us to group often used objects into a custom library for easy access.

Not complaining at all, but hopefully this will be food for thought for people much smarter than I.

Respectfully,
Obie311

Attachments

• LOM_1.jpg
    LOM_1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 586
  • LOM_2.jpg
    LOM_2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 622