Creating a texture map - from a model ?

Hi Folks,

While I've used Arno's incredible MCX tool for years - I'm sure I'm not aware of all it's features...

Question: Is there a way to generate a texture map from a given model ???

This is in regards to aircraft repaints - - - as many are aware - the quality of repaint kits vary substantially from author to author... I've had several where they don't even mark the outline of the shapes and use the same color on the background - so you have to guess where the edges of mapped pixels - meet those that are unmapped... It makes it difficult when doing complex artwork on an aircrafts fuselage and such... It would make a painters life so much better if I could just grab the mapped pixels and mark them on a blank texture - which I could then overlay for a painting guide...

If MCX doesn't do this - anyone know of any tool that might accomplish this task ???

As always - appreciate any help given...

Regards,
Scott

You can use Blender:
1. Export the model part From MCX as Wavefront .OBJ file.
2. Make a .BMP copy of the texture sheet, put it in the same folder as the OBJ file.
3. Import the .OBJ file in Blender (make sure to select Import OBJ > Y Forward).
4. With the object selected, go to Edit mode.
5. Switch to UV Editing screen layout
6. On the UV pane bottom menu bar select UVs > Export UV layout, save as PNG file.

The exported .PNG file shows the wire frame texture mapping pictured on a transparent background, ideal to import as layer in a paint kit file.

Last edited:
Hi Henk,

Thanks so much - I've been meaning to get started with Blender - maybe now's the time ???

I'll see what I can do - sounds perfect from your description...

Regards,
Scott

I started to use Blender a month ago, for me it works so much better than Sketchup. There are some very good video tutorials in the FSDeveloper Blender sub forum.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Making such a paint kit is somewhere on the MCX wishlist, but currently not implemented.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
There's a step missing above: if the model uses two or more textures you'll have to select objects by material to generate mappings for each texture sheet.

You can do the same with .3ds exported to 3ds Max, or to Gmax with a select by material script and LithUnwrap to draw the mappings.

Hi Folks.

Appreciate all the additional info - I'd love to see it at some point in MCX - really appreciate all you do for us - Arno...

While initially - I was just thinking a silhouette - if we could see the wireframe imprinted - it would be far better - as you could see how the texture was stretched...

I'll have to give this process a shot but I've never used Blender...

Thanks all !

Regards.
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott, UVMapper will do exactly what you want.

https://www.uvmapper.com/

This is a payware program yet the demo mode does what you need.

Export the model from MCX as an .obj file, then open that file in UVMapper.

Select > Select by > Texture > Diffuse

Select > Display > Hide Unselected

File > Save Template > declare image size

Now you will have usable mesh layer in the form of a white background with a black mesh.

Using Photoshop, another handy tool is Remove White which is a plugin that does exactly what it says it will do. Applied to this new layer it will remove the white background leaving the mesh, so you can see thru it, if you wish.

There are several plugins that do the same thing, Google can help find them.

Here is the default Baron...
1.JPG

cheers,
Lane

hairyspin

Resource contributor
If you want to see stretching, swap a texture file for a finely chequered one in MCX. You'll soon see what is stretched on the model, but be warned the results can be brutal.

BTW, Select by color will pick out whichever colour you wish from a Photoshop layer ready to delete.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Hah - Tom - I've looked at the checkered patterns before - LOL - and I have notices some are pretty bad...
;)

Thanks Lane - I might try that instead - while I do model - and I've played around in Blender a number of times - the interface seems to have a higher learning curve than other modeling packages I've used... I need to devote some time and seriously dig into those tutorials that Henk mentioned... Sounds pretty easy via your method...

Plenty of useful information here - thanks so much...

Regards,
Scott