• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Creating an approach for Isafjordur Airport (BIIS)

Country
norway
Hello dear flightsimmers!

I'm new to Airport Design Editor and have only used it to add parking ramps, create taxiways and easy editing. I have Iceland X by Aerosoft installed, but at some airports the approach for AI traffic goes through mountains and some times disappear. A good example is the Isafjordur Airport (BIIS) which is known for having a difficult approach due to it's position between the mountains.

I want to schedule AI traffic to this aiport, but because of the approach it's not possible. That's why I wish to create my own ILS approach which is more realistic. But with my little knowledge about ILS approaches and creating waypoints and charts and so on, I seek help from people who hopefully have a little more experience than me in creating custom approaches.

If somebody could help me explaining what's necessary when creating an approach and how do you do it?

I've attached a picture of the Airport and how I wish the approach should be! :)

Attachments

• Isafjordur Area New ILS.png
    Isafjordur Area New ILS.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6,400

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
And let me stress, you can have AI aircraft in good weather only do this:

These are all in the MAIN SECTION of the ILS approach in ADE; AI aircraft do not fly legs.

1. Fly to the initial point specified in the main ILS section, from all points of the compass
2. Cross the initial point at the altitude specified in the main ILS section
3. Turn to and fly the heading specified in the main ILS section
3. Fly to the extended centerline of the approach runway
4. Turn to the runway heading
5. Land

They will descend steadily from the initial point to the runway.

Hope this helps,

Country
norway
Hello Tgibson!

Thanks for taking your time to explain. Unfortunately I didn't understand much of that. The airport has no approaches at the moment so I added a new approach and that's where my knowledge makes me hold short for the moment. I've been reading a lot of these threads here on the site and every explanation that I've stumbled over seems well explained, but I don't understand that much.. I picked up that I had to add a FAF terminal waypoint (correct me if I'm wrong!) but where should it be placed and how many of them should it be?

Confused over here :confused::(:banghead:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
There can be one FAF for each runway with an ILS. Where you place it is entirely up to you - I would place it so AI aircraft can arrive at this location at the specified altitude from all directions. It should also be placed so an AI aircraft can turn to the specified heading, miss all the mountains on its way to the extended centerline, and then turn to the runway heading. That's all determined by the terrain.

Country
norway
Okey, but where should the ILS localizer be placed? And if you look at the picture I've attached, is it okey if I place it paralell of the runway to the south?

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The localizer can be placed where you like it for the flyable aircraft; it has no effect whatever on AI aircraft approaches. Normally the long green arrow is placed at the *far end* of the runway, so you can get reception all along its length. If you want the ILS needle to be centered when you are aligned with the runway, place it exactly on the runway centerline. For LOC type approaches (not true ILS's), you can place it anywhere. If equipped with a glideslope, place the small green arrow at the touchdown point, alongside the runway.