Creating individual GUIDs for FS9 objects?

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Arno,

I just came across the question how FS9 and LibraryCreator handles GUIDs. It's quite some time that I worked with FS9 last time, so I wasn't aware that the GUID isn't created before building the Library at all.

Am I correct that I can choose my own GUID and assign it in Librarycreator and that GUID will be assigned to the MDL?

That saves me a lot of work, because everytime I exported a new version of my model from GMax and replaced the old model in library creator I had the problem of pressing the wrong button and getting a new GUID. :eek:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi Thorsten,

When you add a new MDL, Library Creator will by default assign a new (random) GUID to it. If you change an object in GMax there is no need to add it again. Just overwrite the MDL and recompile the library BGL. In that case you don't have to change the XML, just recompile the BGL.

But if you want you can also edit the GUID of an object afterwards (I think, just start to wonder if that version 1 feature made it into version 2 :D).

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Thanks, that is what I found out by now. Good thing you can easily edit the XML to change the GUID. I cannot see an option in LibCreator2 to do this.

Once again I'm simply glad for your tools. It's some time since I told you last, but I use the library creator literaly every day - and lately also the "old" FS9 tools. :)