• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Creation of Ground Polys with gMax and FS2k2 SDKs for FS2k4

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

I suspect this might have been asked many times before, but here goes:

I have next to no idea what I'm doing with SCASM (I can't make that clear enough! :( ) so if you know where to find explainations of what to tweak at least to get it to work, I'll study the "whys" later. :)

The end result I'm looking for is that I can create textures and place them with gMax (I like jigsaws! :D ) and get them to look reasonable in FS itself. I understand there are other methods for placing ground polys, but this seems the easiest, and I don't mind a bit of code-tweaking to get the desired effect.

Again, sorry if this has been asked lots of times before. I am searching the fora as I type, but there may be other resources you know of that can enlighten me further with this and SCASM (with respect to FS2k4) in general. :)

Best regards,
Robin.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Arno,

Thanks for the link! :)

From the FS2k2 MakeMDL options I selected to keep all files generated, yet I am only left with the original .gmax file, the new .mdl file etc!! I do not see any other files in the directory pertaining to the files I exported that have code within them that look anything like your Wiki notes! :(

* How do I get MakeMDL to do this?
* What is the extension of the files I am looking for to edit? I presume the first part is the same/similar to the name of the exported model?

I've trioed to do this with the FS2k4 Make<DL as well, and it seems I just can't get it to keep the files. The only time they stay (and then only sometimes) is if the compile fails for some reason. :scratchch

Best regards,
Robin.

Last edited:

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
Create a file called makemdl.cfg and put in the same folder as makemdl.exe

Then, put a line in that says

keepfiles=1

Country
australia
Is it then possible to convert the file to xml and then compile it using BGLComp? That way it might be compatible with the next version of FS.

Steve

Country
belgium
Hi,

I don't really see what you are trying to do :scratchch

But I can say that the FS2002 SDK can not produce MDL or XML files. It compiles directly to a BGL file. When you set the option "keepfiles=1", like Nick said, you will get 1 BGL file and 2 ASM files.

So in your export folder you will find 3 files:
[scenename].BGL (=> you can delete this file)
[scenename].ASM (=> edit this file)
[scenename]_0.ASM (=> edit this file)

After editing these files you can compile the .asm file with BGLC.exe and you will get a new BGL file.

Grtz

Country
belgium
Yes, you can put the new compiled BGL into your scenery folder of your project or into the Addon Scenery\scenery folder if you don't have a project map yet...

Grtz
Thomas

Country
belgium
Yes if you exported it through the FS2002 SDK, you have to use BGLC.exe.
(For FS2004 SDK it's BGLC_9.exe)

Grtz
Thomas

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Nick,

EDIT: Note the following is using the FS2k4 MakeMDL. I'm guessing it only works with the FS2k2 MakeMDL?

I added the line as you suggested to the MakeMDL.cfg file (there was already one in the folder with MakeMDL) under the [Settings] header, and it still doesn't retain the files! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Here is the complete file:

Code:
[Settings]
LastDir=C:\gmax\gamepacks\fs2004\plugins
SaveDir=C:\GMAX\PLUGINS
keepfiles=1

[Scenery]
LastLatLon=N41* 37.18 W87* 24.63

Best regards,
Robin.

Last edited:

Firestriker

Resource contributor
Country
us-oregon
You need to make a section in your makemdl.cfg file called Options:

[Options]
Keep=1

It works for either gamepack.

Lou

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi all.

BGLC_9 can be used for all versions of Flight Simulator. It works just as well for FS2002 as it does for FS2004. It's backwardly compatible.

Dick

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
VulcanB2 said:
From the FS2k2 MakeMDL options I selected to keep all files generated, yet I am only left with the original .gmax file, the new .mdl file etc!!

You need to get a BGL file and two ASM files. If you get a MDL file you are either using the new gamepack or exporting as an aircraft. With the Keep=1 line as given above you should be able to get those source files fine.