FSX Crosswind Runways at LaGuardia

Hello all,
So I went through the Jim Ville tutorial on how to make crosswind runways and applied those techniques to the Glenn Johnson LaGuardia airport but it seems as if I can't get both runway in use at the same time. Any help would be appreciated!
Screenshot (1).png

Keep in mind that your traffic will only use a runway if it is closer to the approaching aircraft. If all aircraft are coming from the west (for example), they will all use the same runway.

True, but some traffic on the ground is further away from lets say runway 31 and it would make more logical sense to takeoff from runway 22. This would also help cut down on traffic lines for that one runway.

Unfortunately FSX doesn't care about logic, some airports with Xwind runways are not always going to work as well as we wish,
does the traffic parked on the west side use 4/22 for take off? have you tried changing the wind direction?
as Tom said the direction of arriving aircraft play a role of which runway gets selected
your fake runways are in the correct order although i always go from top (Lowest number) to bottom which usually has the longer runway at the top
you probably know of the simple test to check if the non parallel runways are operating and that is to bring up ATIS and see if it calls out all the runways in sequence
when i did my version of KLGA both runways worked perfectly using Jim's technique

So I know if runway 22 is in use then that means if the crosswind runway is in use it would be runway 31. When listening to the ATIS, I hear runways 22-30 but I don’t hear 31. Is that problem?

yes! looks like 31 is not there and yet its correct in the list,
here is what i see/hear at KLGA, i also have included my list of my runways that i am using,
you could try changing it to how my list is setup, although yours should work!

Attachments

LOL!!! much like KORD without the Xwind runways operating
OK you have runway 13/31 at the top of the list, this usually happens when you don't save immediately after configuring all the runways
I'm guessing you compiled after you moved the runways
just drag 13/31 to the bottom of the list and "Save" straight away, then check the list again
you also need to run Fault finder as there are plenty of issues there

good luck

Attachments

Last edited:
WooHoo! Crosswind runways are now running (hopefully they stay like that) but aircraft are all still departing from the same runway regardless of where their gate is. Any way to fix this or is this how it is?

WooHoo! Crosswind runways are now running (hopefully they stay like that) but aircraft are all still departing from the same runway regardless of where their gate is. Any way to fix this or is this how it is?
Finally, well done,
has the queue dropped any?
now you know how to do it next time, usually aircraft will use the runway nearest to them, but because you have now included fake runways the sim may not always look for the nearest one,
you could try changing the wind to come from the Southwest at 8kts or above to see what that gives you, as i said earlier none parallel runways don't always work as we like at some airports but they will work :)
if you need to try another method you always use Jim's "Advanced" technique which will turn one of the runways around to use the opposite end, which will also work at KLGA which i think use the same 11 fake runways

Sadly not. See the runways are crosswind but 9 out of 10 planes landing will use runway 22 instead of 31 while 10 out of 10 planes departing will use runway 22. Here's a pic of the queues again sadly Will the advanced technique help this problem?

Attachments

Probably not if one runway is getting the bulk of traffic, the big problem at KLGA is traffic having to cross 13/31 to get to 22 while traffic maybe landing on 31, here we use the diamond crossing technique for the paths across a runway, you get near misses with landing aircraft but get a better flow,
be the same with a wind change, traffic will have to cross 4/22 to get to 13, i find it odd that the bulk of the parked aircraft are nearer to 13/31, just check that 13/31 is open for takeoff/landing i don't remember having this problem
how about closing "Both" ends of 4/22 for "take off" only to force 31 to be used for take off, maybe worth a try if 31 is not used much for landing

I have just checked the file you uploaded
This is why you are having a problem!!! this is 13/31......both runways are closed for take/off and landing!!!
runway 4/22 is the same!!! Closed,
you cannot close runways that have ILS associated with them unless the airport has a runway that is open for use
what you are experiencing is FSX falling back on the default airport usage which is 4/22 i think
make sure both runways are open for takeoff and landing and hopefully the problem will be fixed

Attachments