• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Cruise pitch

Country
southafrica
Firstly, I do not know much, if anything, about flight dynamics so please be patient with me!
I need to increase the cruise pitch (very slightly)of the CS 757III WITHOUT affecting its clb and des performance. The power (N1) percentages are all correct at crz and I don't want to upset them. I once read somewhere that making a change in table 404 can increase the pitch attitude without messing up other aspects. What, and how, do I make this change in table 404? Or is there another way. Please answer in English and not in Science ;).
regards
Trevor

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Table 404 shows the lift coefficient against angle of attack. In level flight the airplane's nose is pointed above the horizon by an angle called angle of attack. The wing then produces the same amount of lift as the airplane's weight. The lift comes from the wing area and the lift coefficient for that angle of attack.
If you want to have the cruise pitch higher for the same flight conditions you would have to reduce the lift coefficient at those conditions. The easiest way to do that is to create another Table 404 with the lift coefficients say 90% of your original one.
Flight test your original set up at a particular speed, altitude, and weight and note what the pitch angle is. Change the 404 to your modified one and repeat the test.
If the pitch is too great try setting 404 to 95% of its original values.
This procedure will work with FSX and P3D. MSFS does not have a 404 exactly, but it does have an equivalent.
Hope that was clear
Roy

Country
southafrica
Thanks for the response Roy. Could you please explain how I create another table 404. Thanks
Trevor

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Trevor,
Since you mentioned 404 I assumed you were not talking about MSFS which does not have numbered tables. FSXA and P3D have numbered tables. Actually the numbering system was not official but when the tables were finally published by Microsoft there was hardly any difference. 404 was officially called CL vs Alpha and the contents of an air file can be found in the P3D SDK.
MSFS has lift_coef_aoa_table, part of the flight_model.cfg and it is essentially the same as the previous versions except it is a text table.
So if you are using MSFS, find lift_coef_aoa_table. Each entry is like 0.139630:0.950000, where the first number is the aoa in radians (about 8 degrees) and the second is the lift coefficient (0.95). The range of aoa is from minus 180 to plus 180 degrees but the bit you are interested is that from about zero degrees to around 15 degrees. Just edit that range by reducing the CL (second) value by say 0.95.

If you are using FSX or P3d the principle is the same but you will need something like AirWizED to modify the .air file.
Roy