• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Custom ADE Airport & Ground Polys

Country
germany
Hi all,
I have created a new airport, well, actually expanded an existing airport to something big in ADEX. It is Santos Air Force Base.
I would like to do all Ground with custom textures including the aprons, taxiways and airport ground grass, but not the runways. After watching quite a number of tutorials of how to create ground polys I still have a lot of questiosn as I am new to this.
- how do I start and get the right dimensions of the ground polys?
- how do I get the background of ADEX of my airport as working basis?
- how shall I create the textures as I can not just take airial photos, as the airport is smaller in real life than I have created it
- Can I do that without the FS2002 Gmax?

I would be glad to have some help from more experienced people. Pls. comment and give me some hints.
thanks a lot in advance

aereo

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If just starting I would use ModelConverterX to create the proper ground polygons. Arno has created a video to show how this is done.

If you cannot use aerial photos, then you create your own textures in Photoshop, PSP, or GIMP.

Hope this helps,

Country
germany
thanks Tom,

what sizes can the textures be, any limitations execpt the power of 2 rule?

regards

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Not that I know of, other than maximum sizes in the sims: 1024 in FS9, 2048 in FSX.

Country
unitedstates
The max texture load in FSX that I have been able to demonstrate is 4096, but this can only be achieved with CFG edits. 1024 is default for fsx still, I believe. If you were going to use textures larger than 1024, I think you'd have to tell your end users that they need to edit their CFG to reflect this and allow larger textures.

Also keep in mind, with texture sheets, they don't need to be square, as long as the power of 2 rule is followed, i.e. 2048x512, 256x32, and so on

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
You may be right, I've never really gone into detail in testing FSX. But many aircraft include 2048 textures and I've never changed anything on my machine. BTW, you can also load larger textures into FS9, as long as they contain mipmaps. But only the 1024 mipmap will display...

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
SoloWing is correct; FSX will only support up to 1024 by default.

I say up to because it's the global texture resolution slider in the settings that controls it. "Very high" (the highest option in the UI) corresponds to a TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD value of 1024 in the CFG file. If the user sets it to High (512) or Medium (256), FSX will only load up to those resolutions.

If the user edits the CFG file to a different power of two, then FSX should be able to load up to that specific resolution. To my knowledge, addons such as Flight Environment X and Real Environment Xtreme were among the first to take advantage of this, and utilized 4096 by 4096 textures. In theory, you should be able to create 8192 or even 16382 textures, provided you change the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD in the CFG to the appropriate value.

Country
unitedstates
So if a user in FSX uploads a product that contains say 2048 textures he will only see 1024 by default unless he edits the .cfg file? What if the product does not contain mipmaps, what does he see - a blank texture?

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
That is correct. Well, the user might only see 512 if his or her global texture resolution slider is at high instead of very high (or 256 if the slider is at medium), but I doubt that would be the case. I believe addons such as FEX and REX modify the CFG on their startup, but the value wouldn't be retained if the user were to change the FSX settings (from the UI) afterwards.

I'm not sure about the mipmaps, but I'd assume not, as I've never heard of any instance of that occurring.

Country
germany
thank you all for your help!!!
can somebody also give me a help with the other 2 questions?

- how do I start and get the right dimensions of the ground polys?
- how do I get the background of ADEX of my airport as working basis?

thanks again, and sorry for asking so much

aereo

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
The answer for the first question, please take a look at the sticky of this page, FSX Groundpoly Tutorial. It is up to the top of this forum

The answer for the second question, please look at the help file in ADE. Rough guide is: you need to put the photo by clicking the right mouse and click on the menu Add -> image and do fill the information that required.

Asking is not wrong, but helping yourself by searching in google or manual of the program is much better. Then ask when you get problem that you cannot get through.:confused:

We are more than happy to help you with that.:D