• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA DC-3 Enhanced

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Why spend a sunday evening flying when you can fix an airplane up that you only like because it plays a role in a famous book about vintage aviation that you're currently reading?

At least I have chalked down a few hours in Max 2015 now and got used to exporting from it. Yay for me, I guess.

Fixes:
  • Switch positions for the boost pump switches fixed
  • Panel night lighting fixed and improved
  • Fuel tank selector for the right engine works as intended now
  • "Fasten Seatbelt" switch now works as it should
  • "Lock tailwheel" lever now moves in the correct direction
  • Carburetor heat levers are now operable
  • Fuel cutoff levers are now operable
  • Panel light switch will not turn off the nav lights anymore

Enhancements:
  • Right engine and wing visible from the VC
  • Patched up some holes so the DC-3 can be flown from the right seat now
  • The cabin model from the exterior is now accessible in VC mode
  • More switches on the right overhead (that do more or less useful stuff)
  • "GPU" to support extended startup procedures
  • Passenger cabin lights are now independent from the cockpit flood lights

Night lighting:

1. Off
XAuVd5a.png

2. Panel lights
LkLZMTq.png

3. Flood lights (aliased to wing lighting)
58MjZGk.png

The new switches:
LMdD3rj.png

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K_xiE2GqmMak1UZi1BVjdNa2s/view?usp=sharing

This might hold people over until that super-highres-ultra-cockpit for Manfred's C-47 is released.

(The VC textures in the screenshots are courtesy of Hani Michal, by the way.)

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Looks good Bjoern!
I feel bad for you being unemployed though....

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Developing for FSX at least keeps me borderline sane, even if it's not CV-grade stuff.

And while I'm at it:
An engineering degree is not a silver bullet for a job unless you're very specialized and know the right people.

But back to the actual topic now.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
The barely visible landing light source effect in the VC view just irked me, so...

Iz3sC3o.png

And yes, that's rain on the window. I should probably request a name change for the forum. "Rain Man" or so.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
And yet another project that totally got out of control. Wipers, cockpit click sounds and a working emergency hydraulic system. And of course even more plugged holes. The model is like swiss cheese!

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Scratch the "emergency" from "emergency hydraulic system". :stirthepo

Country
netherlands
And yet another project that totally got out of control. Wipers, cockpit click sounds and a working emergency hydraulic system. And of course even more plugged holes. The model is like swiss cheese!
Well, if you want to keep busy, I bet you can make those radio's on the ceiling work and model them in 3D too ;)

Country
netherlands
You haven't seen the DC-3/C-47 VVC by Jan Visser, have you? ;-)
I actually did, that video he released yesterday is incredible! Those models, those textures, those sounds... Only thing missing is the smell of oil, grease, leather and sweat ;)

But the cockpit is still in alpha, so who knows how long it will take to complete... And tbh, the cockpit that comes with Manfred's model is nice, but it doesn't do it for me. It's too new and it feels way more at home in the Basler BT-67

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
The hydraulic system is pretty much complete. Just need to make add a dependency for the flaps. You need to watch your pressures now.

I've also stepped up my wiper game a bit at the cost of a PITA texture creation process and more drawcalls and VAS use.

DC3_Wiper.png

I would donate my hydraulic system simulation to Jan's C-47 if he wants to. I don't stand a chance against his model anyway, so it's better go down swinging and contribute something.

Today I've worked on the exterior model a bit. Merged James Eden's remapped fuselages and the other additions from the AWESUM4SUM models with the model from the SDK so I could fix the rudder animation on the LC-47 and the nav lights. Bonus: The result retains the wing flex of the original FSX model.

Well, if you want to keep busy, I bet you can make those radio's on the ceiling work and model them in 3D too ;)

Pass. :confused:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I've made more than enough changes to warrant a proper project title.

Still plucking away at stuff, but I've made progress.
The external model now consists of the (mildly enhanced) models from James Eden and Jon Murchison, which fix the default model's awful fuselage texture mapping and add a few model variations like skis, cargo or larger windows. I also managed to fix the wingflex and add it to the VC, so you can see her flapping from inside and out. Wipers are present as well.

Most work was done in the VC. I've rearragend stuff a bit...

DC3_Cockpit.jpg

The labels for the switches were redone and the main panel is now a continuous gauge polygon that can be played around with. A G1000 equipped DC-3 is entirely possible now.

As a further addition to the systems, I've implemented the mixture handling of the real thing. Four settings are available: Cutoff-Auto Lean-Auto Rich-Rich. But since it could be necessary to fine-tune the mixture, the levers have the default direct adjustment mode as a backup.

Next up: Start procedure, flaps (*Cough*) and revising the cowl flap system. Maybe make the side windows operable as well, but this will require a bit of sound work.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Well, the flaps are in and work as on the real thing (no detents, thanks to XMLTools). The cowl flaps work as advertised as well, with "trail" mode closing them as dictated by the aerodynamic load. Side windows can be opened now and you'll get some wind sounds to boot, but apparently, the noise level with windows open and closed is pretty much the same on the real thing, so that saved me some work.
Added some smaller visual touchups like rebuilt clutter in the back cockpit area and plugging some more holes in the models.

One mod I couldn't pass up is the single-piece windscreen found on many restored DC-3s. Next to offering a better field of vision, the new windscreen was also finally water tight.

DC3_Pano.jpg

Next up are the engines, with implementing the start procedure as step one.

Country
scotland
Hi Folks

Many thanks Bjoern -

For your excellent personal modifications,
and compilation / integration of 3rd party's modifications.

Somehow,
I'd entirely missed this thread previously.

Looking forward
to re-discovering this bird.

PS
One mistake,
you've added rain to the windshield.

It should occur inside the cockpit, (according to Gann). :D

Just a head's up
to any other potential downloader -

FF48 and IE11 browser users
by default, have cookies disabled.

https://drive.google.com
will display package contents appropriately,
but with zero warning, or indication,
will totally inhibit your download attempts.

Unless -
you specifically enable,
at absolute minimum, per-session cookies.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi, I found your enhancement for the stock DC3 and I'm pleased that someone addressed the shortcomings of the aircraft. So I installed you enhancements and pasted your adjustments into the cfg file but the panel light switch still lights up the cabin. You say the cabin switch is aliased with the wing light. Ok. What does that mean? Both have to be on or just one at a time? Tried fiddling with the permutations (only just a couple) but to no avail. Could there be a conflict with the Just Flight/AirPlane Heaven DC3 that I have installed? I know they were very sloppy in assigning the stock 2D panel made for a 3 fuel tank variation to their 4 tank version and this screws up distances for flights etc. Anyway, looking forward to your reply. Cheers!