• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

default.xml via add-on.xml

Country
germany
Hi, I want to add additional autogen informations to P3D4.1.
I try to use the add-on.xml method.
But every time I load this files the autogen inside the sim is messed up (especially ORBX is then missing autogen).
If I use the autogenconfiguration merger tool by arno, all is fine. It uses the same default.xml file.
I have no idea how to solve. What I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• NapoliXAutogen.zip
    779 bytes · Views: 226
  • MadeiraXEvoAutogen.zip
    798 bytes · Views: 165

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

When you select a different autogen definition via the add-on.xml P3D will not actually merge them. It just replaces the definitions with the one you are pointing to. So in this case only your default.xml file will be used.

So the only way to merge is to use the Autogen Configuration Merge tool or have your own merging on install (for the default.xml file that is not so complex).

Country
germany
Hi,

When you select a different autogen definition via the add-on.xml P3D will not actually merge them. It just replaces the definitions with the one you are pointing to. So in this case only your default.xml file will be used.

So the only way to merge is to use the Autogen Configuration Merge tool or have your own merging on install (for the default.xml file that is not so complex).
Hi Arno, thanks for your feedback. I already use your fantastic tool.
I assume the current behavior of P3Dv4 is a bug. In the SDK it is stated that P3Dv4 will read the add-on.xml as additional file. I hope P3Dv4.2 will fix it.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It would be great if the Prepar3d engine will support merging in the end. But I'm not sure if they have it planned. The sdk documentation is a bit vague here.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I just checked the SDK and it says:

Refers to a component that adds an additional autogen directory that Prepar3D can use to resolve autogen files.

So it adds another directory where the sim will look for autogen files to load. It doesn't means that if it finds multiple files they are merged the way I read it.

Country
germany
I just checked the SDK and it says:

So it adds another directory where the sim will look for autogen files to load. It doesn't means that if it finds multiple files they are merged the way I read it.
Hm, maybe you are right. In my understanding I always read additional>merge and not alternative>replace

Country
germany
There is also the autogen.cfg file where you can add folders like for simobjects, effects, ...
This does also not work in the meaning of merge.

Country
germany
Another point: All Addon components are described as additional in the SDK. It makes no sense that he autogen should then behave different than the texture or scenery or simobjects components.