• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Detailed textures and rain effects on runways

Country
france
Hi, I try to make runways with photoreal texture.

In the SDK, it explain that we could have detailed textures blended on diffuse texture (for concrete or macadam look) and rain effect can be allows in "precipitation check box".

But it doesn't work in Fs. I have tryed to make the bgl with Gmax and 3ds but the result is same.
I have tested texture in bmp, dds, dxt or grayscale, same result.

Is there any hiden parameter or checkbox to allow? special name to attribuate to the texture ? something else ?

Hi, I try to make runways with photoreal texture.

In the SDK, it explain that we could have detailed textures blended on diffuse texture (for concrete or macadam look) and rain effect can be allows in "precipitation check box".

But it doesn't work in Fs. I have tryed to make the bgl with Gmax and 3ds but the result is same.
I have tested texture in bmp, dds, dxt or grayscale, same result.

Is there any hiden parameter or checkbox to allow? special name to attribuate to the texture ? something else ?

Any news on this area? Now that I'm on the FSX gamepack I'm very interested in a real "FSX looking" scenery.

Kindly,

Blazer

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

When I tested these features they worked just fine. All I did was following the settings shown in the FsX Material document of the SDK.

Not sure if this can really be used for custom runways though, as making ground polygons with MDL files has its own trouble :). But for buildings it works fine.

Country
france
It's works fine now. The trouble was probably because the difuse texture had an alpha channel but I'm not sure.
Now it's work also with alpha channel, in fsx mode export with the rights parameters (Source blend, etc).

I have made all the taxiways of the LFRS airport with photoreal textures. It's very nice. I maybe will distribute this scenery in the future.

You can see the result in my new scenery "Nantes ville" . The Hospital Helipad is made with this type of texture.

Thanks.

Country
australia
would it be possible if this could be explained in more detail.

I have been able to get a reflection to occur when it rains and it turns off when the rain stops, so the settings must be close, but the only effect map i can use is the Global Environment map so is like the window relfections rather than the runway water relctions.

Does anyone know the name of the default rain reflection map?

I have the FresnalWater.bmp in the fresnal map, but am assuming i need to specify a rain effect bmp or make one.

Country
france
For make runways and taxiways, i make a Fsx texture wiht four or five maps.

diffuse color : the map of runway
Self-illumination : the night texture
Bump : a texture wiht blue channel in alpha layer
reflexion : my own reflexion texture (or nothing if i use the global environment texture)
Détail : a detail texture (same as bump but in grayscale)

The bump texture is important to change the glass effect to a rain-effect.
I put the detail effect to 20% value
bump effect to 20% value
reflection scale to 40% value
Disable bloom effect
Enable Z-write Alpha
enable No shadow

For make you onw reflexion texture, you can use the N-vidia pluging for Photoshop. You create one image in 1536x256 (6x256). Eatch part of 256x256 pixels is a internal face of a virtual cube. The order seems to be left, Front, top, bottom, back, right.
The name of the global environment map is
globalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds. You can open it with imagetool.exe

For the result of my work, see my new scenery of St Pierre & Miquelon (http://marcoh.gratisim.fr) or search on AVsim.

Country
australia
Thanks mate, contrary to popular belief i to have been haveing some succes in creating FSX ground poly detail with Full FSD SDK2 compliance.

Country
australia
I now have a fully fuctioning FSX ground poly with cool detail map, bump map and rain effects. Thanks for your help.

its pretty tricky to get such a large poly looking right, as you need to shape the poly to match the earth surface. SP1 for YMML will include this. SP1 will make my scenery 100% fully FSX-SP2 SDK compliant.

No Z bias, shadows and lights work on it, no floating edges. The results are just fantastic!!!

Marty

www.fullterrain.com

Country
newzealand
Is there a secret for getting runways/taxiways from the FSX gamepack? Did you do anything differently Marty?

Country
mexico
For make runways and taxiways, i make a Fsx texture wiht four or five maps.

diffuse color : the map of runway
Self-illumination : the night texture
Bump : a texture wiht blue channel in alpha layer
reflexion : my own reflexion texture (or nothing if i use the global environment texture)
Détail : a detail texture (same as bump but in grayscale)

The bump texture is important to change the glass effect to a rain-effect.
I put the detail effect to 20% value
bump effect to 20% value
reflection scale to 40% value
Disable bloom effect
Enable Z-write Alpha
enable No shadow

For make you onw reflexion texture, you can use the N-vidia pluging for Photoshop. You create one image in 1536x256 (6x256). Eatch part of 256x256 pixels is a internal face of a virtual cube. The order seems to be left, Front, top, bottom, back, right.
The name of the global environment map is
globalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds. You can open it with imagetool.exe

For the result of my work, see my new scenery of St Pierre & Miquelon (http://marcoh.gratisim.fr) or search on AVsim.

:eek:your scenery are awesome man, and sloped runway too.outstanding work!!

Country
indonesia
how do you make a sloped runway? :D

SB_capture_5.jpg

Country
belgium
I not find solution for my taxiway and apron under rain

Hello,

I work for moment on EBCI for FSX,
I hope find some help for rain reflexion ...

All are good in the development for me ...but about rain reflexion, I never find the solution ...
I tried this method explain before, by Marcoh, but without good result for me !

I'm also sorry, I'm not very easy with the English speak, I live in Belgium, french speak ... Then, I'm very sorry if you not very understand me, with my explain !

How I work ?

For apron and taxyway, I make my personal texture and poly with sketchup, I put in FSX on the ground over the ADE apron and taxiway for have a solid material under my texture poly, made with MCX ! (I'm not satisfaction with ADE for apron and taxi result ).

This is a pictures about my apron and taxiway now

EBCI82.jpg

EBCI80.jpg

Well, all best except when under rain, not possible activated the rain reflexion on this surface. I tried a lot of possibility in MCX but never find the corect parameter !

I think is great if Arno make a complete tutoriel about this effect ... for make rain reflexion on apron and taxiway with MCX and personal texture ...

That's my parameter tried in MCX ... do you see some error or suggest ???

1v8t8fg2waco.jpg

Thank's

Manuel

Last edited:

hcornea

Resource contributor
Country
australia
If you are using the groundpolygon wizard in ModelConverterX, the surface is compiled with asm code (FS2002)

As a result, unfortunately, FSX advanced material parameters are not supported.

Precipitation / reflection is one of these parameters.

You would need to make an FSX native surface as described by Marcoh

Country
belgium
Thank you Hcornea ...
I think you are put me on the way ...:)
Yes, I use the "groundpolygon wizard" in ModelConverterX for import my DAE files ... Because that's the easy tool ...
After your post, I tried with the same parameter, but with the option "Import" DAE / "export" to FSX BGL ... and Yes, now I see a difference and the reflexion are present under the rain ...
I never imagine, this different way for make a BGL, use 2 different system compiler ...lol

Now, Just necessary find the good level parameter for a correct effet for me ...
Thank you ... I think you are unlocked the situation about my problem !:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Country
belgium
Thank you Tic

But I tried this "hazard" method, with a second layer 0.05 on top ...but without result for me ...:( ... I hope also in the futur, for an correcte explained tuto for go to the same result about your pictures ... )

In another way ... I tried import my DAE file by import buton and export to FSX BGL by export buton ...
I find the correct level for a correct reflexion under rain ... but by this way, versus ground polygon wizard, I'm not find this very importante setting :
-Project flat polygons on ground ..., visibility, season, slice polygons ...

I tried the option in menu "special tools", [correct object for curve earth] but I think, with or without, the result are the same ... on the long way, I have an altitude materiel problem, ( see pictures, :(:(:( ! ( not this problem with polygone wizard )

2 choice ...:confused:
import with "ground polygon wizzard" option, good result placement ... but, except not reflexion rainy possible ...

Or import by import buton, OK for precipitation reflection ... but not find solution for my polygon follow the FSX curve earth ... :(
( MCX 1.3.0.0)

mtghscaml2o7.jpg

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Do not use MCX, it will convert your ground poly to FS2002 style, no rain reflection.
You need to do in FSX gmax game pack and export it as mdl and place this layer with XML.
Set up the material as it is discussed in that thread.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

When you say altitude material problem, do you mean the polygons flicker?

That's a normal side effect of using mdl files for ground polygons. That's why most people use the fs2002 style polygons.

As mentioned in many of the other threads about this problem, it needs a lot of tuning to remove the flickering when using mdl files for ground polygons. You probably need to add a lod where the height above the terrain keeps increasing.

Some people say the added rain effect is not worth all the extra trouble, but I'll leave that choice to yourself of course :)