• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Developer camera controls - If you didn't know, now you know!

Country
canada
Does anyone know the keyboard command for translate and scale? I know that Rotate is "E" but i havn't found translate or scale yet. I know i can click the middle mouse button, but thats just not as convenient as a key.

I guess "W" works for translate too, but its also "move forward" and a PITA when working close.

I'm also looking for a "duplicate" key. It would be a lot handier than having to mouse over every time when placing duplicate terrain.

While I'm posting anyway, has anyone found a way to make custom key commands for the SDK

Last edited:
Country
australia
I know this has been already discussed but to make it easier if you come from 3ds max the gizmo controls are the same, W for Select and move, E for Select and rotate and R for Select and scale.

hope this helps someone.

Country
australia
I have a Playstation 2 controller. Can this be trained to do the same as an xbox controller. I am absolutely useless at the camera controls using the keyboard...I often seem to zoom off into the wilderness. On that point, is there a key combo that gets me back to the aircraft or centre point

Country
canada
that often happens to me too. I don't know a key combo, but if you double click on an item in the scenery stack it'll zoom in and focus on it to get back to where you were more quickly.

Country
australia
@Tzetsin Thanks for the info. Because the keyboard way of controlling the cameras, is a tad clunky, it would be great to have some emergency bail out routines.

Country
spain
I dont know what i made, but now "R" key in developer camera stopped to work, and i cant elevate the cam. ¿Somebody know?
Thanks

Country
us-california
Just a quick little bit of info for those that don't know:

Holding
Alt + Left mouse orbit's camera
Alt + Middle mouse pan's camera
Alt + Right mouse or Middle mouse scroll dolly/zoom/etc
**edit
Tilde toggles the console window
Middle mouse click on a selected object cycles through move / scale / rotate

Figured someone will appreciate this.
"Hitting Middle Mouse Click Cycles Through Move/Scale/Rotate" OMFG Thank you so much!!! Now I just need to figure out how to default back to my mouse pointer without an object constantly following my mouse.

Country
italy
Does anyone know the keyboard command for accelerate the dev-camera speed?
I have seen that there are different speeds, but I haven't understood how to use them
;)

Country
unitedstates
Does anyone know how to set the camera to a fixed top view? I want to place aprons and lines without them being skewed from using the orbit cam in a top position.

Country
canada
I have a Playstation 2 controller. Can this be trained to do the same as an xbox controller. I am absolutely useless at the camera controls using the keyboard...I often seem to zoom off into the wilderness. On that point, is there a key combo that gets me back to the aircraft or centre point
I replied to this before, but another solution to this is to reduce your graphics settings. I noticed that when zooming in fast and the simulator hits a different LOD the camera will lag, smash into the ground and then rubber band you into parts unkown. lowering the graphics settings reduces the lag and slowing down much sooner and zooming in stages instead of all at once helps reduce this a lot.

in response to 614NLV

in the top left menu, where you enable dev camera and slew, there is an option for camera controls as well. You can adjust fine camera speed and rotation there.

Country
italy
thank you! 👍
I'll try it when I can reopen my project
now I should correct the xml file by hand
but I don't want to waste any more time on asobo's mistakes.
I'll wait for them to fix 🙃

Country
unitedkingdom
Is anyone else having trouble with their movement keys like `R' for up and the other movement keys. It has happened on an occasion that although these keys are mapped on the Control screen they are not working. It's happened again this morning. Weird

Country
germany
You can also create your own camera positions in each of the 3 cameras by pressing the Alt+Ctrl key with a number key on the right keyboard numbers. Using Ctrl + number key you can use this view and switch to one of your own camera positions.

Country
southafrica
For keyboards:
W < Move forwards
ASD < Move left, backwards and right

R > Camera up
F > Camera down

8 > View up
4 5 6 > Turn left, center back on aircraft, turn right
2 > View down

Something funny is going on and I have no idea what!

I reinstalled MSFS due to a system upgrade and now my ASDW keys have no effect in developer mode! I cannot move at all, not even up or down! The mouse scroll wheel for zoom - no effect! The 8,4,5,6,2 keys work just fine.

In drone mode, all the keys work just fine, but not in developer mode. I can use the developer in drone mode, but that is stupid!

Anyone got any ideas for me? I am fresh out!

Country
southafrica
Ok, Solved the issue... Feeling very stupid now!

Make sure your Developer Camera Settings under the CAMERA option on the top menu bar is set to 100% translation. Mine was set to ZERO...