• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX DHC 6 - Twin Otter

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Very well done Dave! From what I can see on images that tail is just right.

ATM they don't really look like PT6's :oops:

Well I can't really judge it from these images but I think if you rose the engines a bit that might already help? because the shape looks about right, but I think the prop's centre should be on the same height as the centre of the leading edge? I can't really judge it from this image I guess, anyway I've got al confidence you'll figure it out! Keep up the good work!

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
A breakthrough, literally :p

breakthrough.jpg

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Looking good Dave! Will you make a low-poly interior?

Of course I will. That's mandatory for aircraft at this size. :D
I hope I can use it straight away to make a higher poly VC of it.
I also have a few ideas for differen variants but let's see how far this gets.

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
What was missing were the exhaust pipes. They really make the look of a PT6 engine despite my dirty modeling. :D

engine2.jpg

And a first attempt at propellers.
Keep in mind I'm comparably inexperienced in aircraft modeling, so pleas don't judge too hard :oops:.

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Thanks, I'm trying my best :)

Well I don't know a lot about DHC 6s but I'm pritty sure I'd recognize one if saw one, an that looks like a DHC 6 to me. The modelling of the prop looks nice, so unless you didn't bother looking at images of the props that are actually used on a DHC 6 I'm sure they're alright ;)

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I think you're doing a great job Dave. You're modeling skills can only improve the more you plug at it.

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I'll probably get killed for this but I just fiddled around with the passenger seats a bit.

For the patient ones that are still interested in this after years of silence (sorry for that) I'd like to share an early WIP image of the high poly model that will be used for baking textures:

passenger_seat_render.jpg

Let's see if there's still a chance to get anywhere with this :duck:

F747fly

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Looks like that's shaping up to be a great bake object. Well done Dave!

Let's see if there's still a chance to get anywhere with this :duck:
Don't worry about that men... projects that have come back and have been lasting for years somehow still get interest from people (oh uhm... which one do I mean?).
Good work will always be appriacted!

Country
germany
No, jokey. Just a response of

>>If it looks like that I'll better not show you the dirty mesh it consists of :p <<

Great project so far.

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Some more renders with some more individualism:

passenger_seat_render_2.jpg

Some storage bags at the back:

passenger_seat_render_3.jpg

The bags still look a bit too perfect. I think I'll fiddle around with that a bit more.
After that I think I can move on to the next step: Mapping all of this :stirthepo

dave hoeffgen

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Here comes a fully mapped row of high poly seats with a first attempt at cloth material:

passenger_seat_render_4.jpg

I'm still thinking if I should map every seat individually in order to get the best result regarding variation at the cost of texture space and (probably) quality. Any ideas?