DirextX Importer for 3ds Max?

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Does anyone know if there is a plugin for Max that will let me import an X file? I have searched the usual script sites batting zero.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Your title seems a little misleading in that DirectX is the graphics interface algorithm and the relatively unknown .x file that we deal with in the simulator, is not really considered part of DirectX. Granted, it was introduced with DX2, but I think it's fair to say that both DirectX and game object files have moved on.

The X file format refers to files with the .x file name extension. X files were introduced with DirectX 2.0. A binary version of this format was subsequently released with DirectX 3.0, which is also described in this documentation. DirectX 6.0 introduced interfaces and methods that enable reading from and writing to .x files.

X files provide a template-driven format that enables the storage of meshes, textures, animations, and user-definable objects. Support for animation sets enables you to store predefined paths for playback in real time. Instancing and hierarchies are also supported. Instancing enables multiple references to an object, such as a mesh, while storing its data only once per file. Hierarchies are used to express relationships between data records

The .x file format provides low-level data primitives on which applications define higher-level primitives through templates.

Three-dimensional models created in Discreet's 3ds max or Alias|Wavefront's Maya applications can be converted to .x files with the DirectX Extensions for Alias Maya.

The Discreet acquisition happened in 2005, you might get more hits if you asked for a ".X file" importer. Just saying, there are developers that couldn't draw a circle in 2005 and probably have to Google Spencer Tracy.

Anyway, MCX will convert to Collada and also it's Hierarchy Editor will completely swap out individual, or linked animations, like engines or landing gear. So you could potentially get a carcass into 3ds Max and then splice on the old animations, or whatever. I tried it the other way, I added new animations to an old model. Here's some other links you might check.

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Just saying, there are developers that couldn't draw a circle in 2005 and probably have to Google Spencer Tracy.
Too true. ;)

Good to hear from you rk. Your right about DirectX and .X but I couldn't remember the correct nomenclature. I'm trying to remember what the original name was for the Microsoft .X SDK which became the FS SDK.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Wasn't the term for it ESP? Maybe those links will help, its like a lost art. You start reading through some of those reviews and documents and it seems like Microsoft put a lot of thought into it before they changed direction.
I think they saw the rise of AI. Won't be long before we create a scenery like writing a play. We'll simply define the elements and placements and Cortana will go about retrieving detailed representations of each object. Kind of like when Trinity downloaded skills to fly the Huey, but less practical.

Until that day, or perhaps as part of the dance, we still must go through the motions.