• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Display Aircraft on default ATC Radar

Country
unitedkingdom
I've had lots of help from here over the years and although I've searched the forum, I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for so hope somebody can help.

I (as some of you know) like to act as an ATC.

I've recently been joining multiplayer sessions via various different software.
FSCLOUD, FSHOST and FSD servers (non VATSIM).

I can open the default ATC Tower in Freeflight mode and see the AI traffic sent by my sim.
If I turn the default AI traffic off I would like to see the traffic sent by the various clients above but this doesn't happen.

Is there anything I can add to the default radar display that would show the traffic?

I assume that there must be a TCAS gauge or similar that can display this type of AI traffic, so could code from them be added to the default radar in anyway?

I have come across a post that enabled me to show my AI traffic on the GPS acting as a sort of TCAS display, but again it didn't show the traffic sent by the various clients.

Can it be done or should I stop searching?

Country
thailand
If you don't get the answer in here, it might also be worth posting this in the Living World and AI forum as well as the multiplayer forum at AVSIM.

You've seen this thread?

Members such as Roy Holmes, Paul (Gypsy Baron), Tom Gibson, Roman Stoviak, Dietmar ... I believe they all know multiplayer pretty well and will be able to answer.

Bob

and another from the Living World & AI Forum: AI in Multiplayer Mode

Last edited:
Country
us-california
I'll check in here on this subject with my 'suspicions' on the issue. First of all, most folks are flying
in the multiplayer environment in order to interact with other 'live' pilots, thus AI isn't really desired :)

The multiplayer servers I fly on, DigitalThemePark, automatically disable AI aircraft as such from being
seen by anyone other than individual users who see their own AI aircraft locally. That is, those sim objects
do not get broadcast to other players on the server.

I'm not sure if this is an optional setting or not on all servers. Generally AI aircraft are kept out of the server
to prevent overloading/flooding which could prevent user-aircraft from joining a session.

There are addons such as TacPac that do generate and inject sim objects into the server and unless the
server is dedicated to TacPac users, those are generally banned on most other servers as those launched
weapons have a propensity of leaving ghosts on the server. The same is true for tow aircraft.

I know I have seen ghosts present on the DTP servers from time to time. As many as 8 or 10 taking up
that many 'slots' out of the optimal 16 or 20. I've never been able to ascertain the origin of those ghosts.
The only recourse is to reset the server to get rid of them.

I use a modified version of the Raytheon ANR-75 radar gauge in my aircraft and I do see all the other
aircraft in the session within about 1000 miles but no AI. I don't use any 'local' AI aircraft at all. All my
aircraft, ship and airport traffic settings are at 0% as I'd rather have all my VAS used for the scenery
environment (OrbX/FTX) and the other aircraft in the MP session. I do all my flying online with the
91st Bombardment Group and we have multiple aircraft flying in formation on our missions, all with
unique textures so minimizing any non-essential elements is preferred.

The ANR-75 is a derivation of the FSX Tower Radar gauge. There are a whole set of calls to the FS9GPS engine
to enable various features on the display. One is traffic. I have added XML code on my gauge to give me various
details on the 'selected (highlighted) target such as heading, track, ground speed, altitude and range and bearing
from me. If AI aircraft were allowed on the server, they would show up on the radar gauge.

Others with detailed knowledge of server parameters will hopefully join in here to put further light on
the subject.

Paul

Country
unitedkingdom
Thank you for the replies so far.

The ANR-75 gauge sounds promising.
If as you say it is also based on the default radar guage, I can see no reason why whatever code displays the multiplayer traffic can't be added to the default radar gauge.

I'll start be looking there once I get a few minutes spare.

On another note it would be nice to know how the server you fly on has been edited to not send AI to other players.
Is this an FSX server?
I would imagine being able to do that would be high on every FSX group admins list.

Country
us-california
Andy,
I'm not sure how the DTP servers are set up to not display AI. You might ask the site owner "Zoolander"

via this LINK.

I know when I did a quick test last night I enabled some AI traffic and saw it on my ANR-75 and also
on the FSX Traffic Toolbox Map and List in FREEFLIGHT.

As soon as I went online to the DTP server the traffic was gone, confirming my belief.

The servers I fly on there are FSX only. I think he may also have a P3D server but I'm not sure.

I know that MP traffic is seen on the tower radar in multiplayer without any additions or modifications. I'll
double check that when I get online to fly in the next day or two.

The ANR-75 is available over in the AVSIM library LINK HERE

It SHOULD display MP traffic 'as is' without modifications. I have modified mine for use in formation flying
and as a 'common point' for icons to launch some of my other 91st BG specific gauges.

If you download that gauge let me know how it works for you. There shouldn't be any changes needed.

Paul

Country
unitedkingdom
An update to this incase anybody else is looking for the same thing I am.

It seems traffic on the above servers can not be seen by Simconnect ( I may be wrong).

Using a FSUIPC TCAS display I see the traffic.
Using a TCAS which reads the Simconnect data, I do not see the traffic.

My plan of action is to include FSUIPC traffic on the default FSX radar display.

I am far from being a programmer and have no idea how to do this, but I am still going to try.

Any pointers would be very appreciated.

Even better if anybody know if this has already been done, please let me know.

Country
us-california
Andy, I just logged on to a server that had active traffic and joined as "Air traffic controller"
under the "Role" entry at the top of the Multiplayer 'Sessions Options' window and saw the
MP traffic on the radar screen.

If you have Terrain enabled, it is hard to see the traffic as the default yellow color doesn't
show very well but with terrain off, the black screen shows trafiic nicely. (On my derivations of the
radar gauge I change the colors to suit me)

I'm not sure why you aren't able to see the traffic.

Are you joining the session as 'Air traffic controller' ?

The server I joined was:
ms F L I G H T S.net
IP 23.255.202.27

Tower_ATC.jpg

I can't understand why you are unable to see MP traffic with the default Acceleration radar gauge.

Paul

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Paul.

Yes the default Radar display in FSX works great when connecting to an FSX Multiplayer Server.

The problem I am having is that I am not connecting to an FSX server I am connecting to a personal FSD server (non VATSIM or IVAO etc).

Because of this the other players are being sent to me via a pilot client (for instance FSINN) which although shows me an aircraft model whilst looking out of my Tower window, it doesn't show a blip on my radar screen.

As mentioned above I have found a TCAS gauge which does display the traffic I'm looking for, which makes me believe it would be possible to add it to the FSX radar display.

I just don't know how.

Country
us-california
What is the gauge Andy? Is it an XML implementation?

I'm off to the land down under for a couple of weeks but when I return I can have a look at the gauge code if it
is XML and see what might be done.

Paul

Country
us-california
Thanks for the info Andy. I'll have a look at it when I can.

I'm in Sydney now and will be out, walking about alot, for the next few days :)

Paul

Country
unitedkingdom
I'm having a little play with this at the moment.

I'm looking at the radarscreen.xml and session_info.xml.
Would it be possible to replace C:ITrafficInfo with an FSUIPC variant?

If so how would I include this?

I'm not a programmer, I'm just looking for a solution to something that I can't find elsewhere.

Country
unitedkingdom
After reading up I see that FSUIPC can not be used with XML.

So I imagine that I would need to try and write an FSUIPC gauge in C++ to replace the original radar screen?

I have attached an image below incase anybody still doesn't realise what I am trying to acheive.

I was hoping there was a different variable I could change in the radarscreen.xml which would show the traffic.

It does seem strange how the traffic shows on the ground, in the view menus and traffic toolbox just not on the radar screen?

Attachments

• LR-53.png
    LR-53.png
    321.7 KB · Views: 731
Country
thailand
What is your C:ItrafficInfo:Filter value? Should be around line 91 in session_info.xml.

Country
unitedkingdom
WarpD said:
Radar may be excluding because the aircraft is still on the ground?
Same thing happens with airbourne aircraft Warpd. :(

What is your C:ItrafficInfo:Filter value? Should be around line 91 in session_info.xml.
Correct line 91,

Code:
<GaugeString>%((L:Filter) (&gt;C:ITrafficInfo:Filter))
%((L:ListFirstVis) 8 + (C:ITrafficInfo:ListSize) min s2)
%{if}%((L:ListFirstVis) sp1)
   %{loop}%(l1 (&gt;C:ITrafficInfo:CurrentVehicle))
     %((C:ITrafficInfo:SelectedVehicle) l1 == )
     %{if}\{rev}\{blc=@FontColor}%{end}
     %( @CurrentCallsign )%!s!\t
     %((C:ITrafficInfo:C:ATC MODEL, string))%!s!\t
     %((C:ITrafficInfo:CurrentDistance, nmiles))%!d! nm
     \{nr}
     %(l1 ++ s1 l2 &lt; d)
     %{if}\n\{lsp=16}%{end}
   %{next}
%{end}
</GaugeString>

and line 12 I have this, I have tried different values other than 25 after reading documentation on itrafficinfo.

Code:
  <Script>(L:SessionInfoInit) 0 ==
(L:Filter) 0 == and if{
   25 (&gt;L:Filter)
   1 (&gt;L:SessionInfoInit)
}
(L:ListFirstVis) (C:ITrafficInfo:ListSize) min (&gt;L:ListFirstVis)
(C:ITrafficInfo:SelectedVehicleID) (&gt;L:SelectedVehicle)
1607 3000 * (&gt;C:ITrafficInfo:Radius) (* 3000 miles *)</Script>

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
How are these 'servers' creating the other aircraft on your system? It seems to me that the people who create these clients need to be in this discussion as only they would know why aircraft they're injecting into your sim don't show as actual traffic.

Country
us-california
It has to be an issue with the server(s) you are using. The default FSX Acceleration Radar gauge
shows multiplayer traffic just fine. I've modified versions for my own use to give me various
data on traffic using the FS9GPS standard calls such as those you show above (C:ITrafficInfo)

If you can see the aircraft in flight then you should be able to see them on the radar gauge. I
just can't imagine where the breakdown could be.

I'm still in Australia so haven't had a chance to look at that TCAS gauge you mentioned. Perhaps
late next week I'll look into it to see why it works for you yet the radar gauge doesn't.

Paul

Country
unitedkingdom
I've just had 5 mins spare and made some headway.
If I click on the aircraft in the Traffic Explorer and tell it to do something (a T&G, land or give it a FP to follow) it enables the traffic in the session info and on the radar screen.

So at a guess they start as sleeping?

Does anybody know how I could give them all a kickstart when I open my radar without individually clicking them all?