• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Dll Hell?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have a report over in the ADE forum that a user with FSX SP2 is not able to connect my application to FSX. It seems there are at least three versions of SimConnect (or is it four?). ADE has always targetted the original version and provided that the user did not lose or remove thave version ADE will connect to FSX, FSX SP1 and the Accel Pack with no problem.

Somehow I thought that the connection would use the targetted version of SimConnect and use that with no problem. There is a possibility that this is somehow broken with at least one international version of SP2.

I am using dotNet (C#) as it happens and to be honest I am not sure how I set the target version in the first place except that at the time there was only one version and I referenced the managed dll from the original SDK. I have not checked to see if that the other SDKs have updated managed dlls but I guess they will have. Presumably referencing one of those will change the dll version targetted and used? However if I do that then I guess I can stop a bunch of users from connecting if they do not have the correct version??

Finally is there a difference between the Accel Pack and SP2 as far as FSX and SimConnect versions??

Thanks for any insights

Country
unitedkingdom
It seems there are at least three versions of SimConnect (or is it four?).

Three on release -- RTM, SP1 and ACC/SP2. The SP2 SimConnect was used in Acceleration too.

ADE has always targetted the original version and provided that the user did not lose or remove thave version ADE will connect to FSX, FSX SP1 and the Accel Pack with no problem.

Yes, that's best unless you need facilities in later versions or want to take advantage of the increased performance and less problems (with firewalls etc) that you get from Pipes in the SP2 version.

FSUIPC4 uses the latest version it can find, but it is bound with the manifest for the RTM version because it has to get loaded before it can decide which one to use. Once loaded it finds out what's available then uses dynamic linking (LoadLibrary and all that) instead of static linking.

Somehow I thought that the connection would use the targetted version of SimConnect and use that with no problem. There is a possibility that this is somehow broken with at least one international version of SP2.

No, it shouldn't be broken. But ever since FSX was released I've been getting FSUIPC4 users with SimConnect problems. something (no idea what) gets messed up. I had to post abn Announcement on my Support Forum to tell folks how to repair SimConnect. Just uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't help 00 it doesn't see to touch the WinSxS stuff. You have to delete the relevant WinSxS folders then repair to get them rebuilt. Ugh.

I am using dotNet (C#) as it happens and to be honest I am not sure how I set the target version in the first place

It's defined by the Manifest in your object program, assuming you bind it in (as a resource) -- it is possible to supply an external .manifest file instead for an EXE (a luxury not available to DLLs). Details of manifests for this are provided in the SimConnect dox.

Normally your manifest would be generated from the specification for it in the SimConnect.h file, so if you recompiled with, say, the SP2 SimConnect.h you'd have got a dependent on the SP2 SimConnect.

Finally is there a difference between the Accel Pack and SP2 as far as FSX and SimConnect versions?

Yes for FSX versions, and many if not all of the FSX DLLs, but no for SimConnect -- there's only one SimConnect for both.

Regards

Pete

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Pete that is a big help :) ADE is only using very basic position data so I don't think it needs to target the latest version (unlike FSUIPC)

Last edited:
Country
netherlands
This sounds too familiar...

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=255&topic_id=1279&mesg_id=1279

But on that same forum there is a post from what I think is the user you are referring to: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=255&topic_id=1289&mesg_id=1289

He is reporting the 'E_FAIL' error and I think this is returned/thrown by SimConnect, so in this case SimConnect seems to be working but is not able to connect to FSX. Does the user have a firewall? Is FSX running at all?

Daniel

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Daniel

I think you are right (and yes that is the user). Beatle (of MS) also points to a potential firewall issue. The way ADE works is to look for the presence of Simconnect on start up but at that point it is just seeing if it can instantiate a suitable object. If it can't then it disables the code to allow a connection to FSX.

In this case it can so the correct version is there and being seen by ADE. It is failing when the user tries to connect from ADE to FSX. User confirms that FSX is running. Beatle suggests a firewall or other blocking code. ADE is using the original SimConnect that communicates via TCP/IP so anything interfering with that would cause the error.

Country
us-minnesota
Hello again, I hate to resurrect such an old thread, but I too am now afflicted with this Hresult_e failure message when Airport Design Editor tries to connect with FSX. I have a green simconnect found in ADE. I have tried everything in any topics I've found regarding this problem, short of a full reinstall of FSX,(including a repair of the Accelleration sdk) but to no avail.

Does anyone know anymore about this issue and what it takes to resolve it?

I use vista 64, fsx w/acceleration, ADE 1.37, no firewall and a wired lan. I will try bypassing the router tonight to see if the hardware firewall might be the culprit.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

mendiola_loyola

Resource contributor
Country
peru
I have the same problem with ADE, there is a message saying that ADE can't connect with Simconnet.

Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
Lima, Perú

Country
unitedstates
I have these susggestions that I would try here - not sure if this would help at all and they are things I've run into before:

Can you enable the console on the server in verbose mode? That should tell you what Simconnect server is seeing connection wise, and any errors.

If running Vista 64, do FSX and client program run with admin privileges?

Try a different port number.

Is there anything in the event log on either server or client (check system, application and security logs)?

Can the client run on the same machine as the server for a test? That will validate your simconnect configuration.

Are the ports open on both machines (client and server) and on any router in the middle? The port number is specified in the simconnect.ini (client) and simconnect.cfg (server). I know some overzealous antivirus suites will block. The lack of communication could be a packet blocked on sending, or blocked on receiving, or both.

IPV6 or IPV4 (if 6, try using 4 only). IPV6 has been fluky for me.

Are you using the IP address for the server or the DNS name (that may point to a routing issue). Use the IP address if possible to avoid this situation. Look in particular for messages that say "destination host unreachable" when you do a tracert or nslookup.

Cheers,

Etienne