• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Do triangle counts still matter?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
While studying why some default objects from MSFS load slowly into ModelConverterX, I came across some object that have very high triangle counts for a scenery object. For example the hangar below has around 1.2 million triangles. Until now I think the general consensus always was that it is not smart to use so many triangles on a scenery object. Do we need to change that opinion for MSFS now or is this still a waste of resources?

1603831484717.png

Country
us-arizona
Arno, I'm curious at how much video memory is used for that mesh versus trying to mimic the details with more higher resolution textures? It might be less resources (reasonably speaking) to use higher poly dense meshes like this then? Glad you brought this up as the project I'm working on isn't super focused on poly count but rather high detailed meshes that are optimized.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I also noticed that the glTF file for that hangar is not that big. I think for the roof props they use instancing to place the same mesh multiple times. That might be more performance efficient.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi all,

I have to revert some of my statements. It turned about that the glTF code as stored in the BGL file uses some ASOBO specific extensions to store the primitives. As I did not support these yet the triangle count was exploded that much (when reading the glTF file according to the specification the same triangles ended up 16 times in this model). Actually the building only has around 67000 triangles. That is still quite a lot for a hangar, but not as extreme as the 1 million plus I mentioned before. I have updated MCX now to support this ASOBO extension as well.

Country
unitedkingdom
On a similar line i have made a model of a seaside pier. It has 6000 triangles and will use one 4096 x 4096 texture. Do i still need to create LODs and mipmaps for something like this?

Regards
Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited: