• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Do you actually use the Project Editor's "Build All"?

tml

Country
finland
As far as I see, it has some annoying deficiencies. Like, is there any way to make it include a standalone module .wasm file into the built package? What is "building" a package anyway except just copying files over from PackageSources to Packages/your-package-name and creating the layout.json and manifest.json? But if that is all it is, how can it take so long?

Currently I have to create the modules folder and copy my .wasm there manually, and then update the layout.json. (I use https://github.com/HughesMDflyer4/MSFSLayoutGenerator for that.)

Another silly issue is that it insists on copying *all* files from PackageSources. Including any random temporary files you might have there. Or backup files your editor might have a habit of making. There should be some way to tell it to ignore files with names matching some patterns... (I am an Emacs user and Emacs creates these backup files with a name ending in '~'. But OK, Emacs surely can be configured to put them somewhere else, or not create them at all. Obviously I use version control so I don't really need those anyway for safety.)

A third minor issue is that it complains (in the Console window) about unrecognised folders and files in the top level. It should just silently ignore them IMHO. Or then I should just keep my Blender files, various notes and documents, and Wasm source code in another folder...

Anyway, I wonder, is it actually simpler and faster, and less mysterious steps that you don't really know what they do, if you just work in an already "packaged" directory structure? Not use "Build All" at all?

Country
germany
Well, it does that with many files. Amd it.converts textures to DDS.
Why would you want to manually convert all the textures to dds, generate the json and xml for those, the project files and what not? There are enough steps in a project that give you something to do, are you workaholic? :) there will be hundreds of items, maybe thousands (some airport have hundreds of textures alone)

How did this question even start to grow on you :) (not serious questions, don't get it won't pls. I'm kidding.)

I don't know.... I wouldn't want to have blender files and incoming work materials, docs and all that in the project folder. That is strictly separated for me. One folder that has projects and another folder that has the working space.

Btw, you don't have to use the editors build all funktion.
Can be done outside with fspa ckagemanager without the sim started.
Besides that, of course you can manually change things in the xmls and probably one has to at some point. But the SDK clearly states that it's recommend and advised to use the build tools and editor to make changes.

But probably there are other things that happen on a build anyway too.

Reactions: tml
Country
australia
I quite often edit sound packages, gauges and .cfg files without rebuilding. The package compiler only copies those files anyway which is why you shouldn't leave temporary files lying about. As far as I know for aircraft the only thing the build package actually makes changes to are the models and textures so if there is any changes to the model or texture then I need to rebuild but anything apart from that is freely editable (unless you add a new file in which case you need to edit the .json file to include it and in that case it's just easier to rebuild).

And use batch files. If you need to repeatedly copy files make a batch file to do it for you.

Reactions: tml

tml

Country
finland
And use batch files
Er, no, old Unix guy here, I much prefer to do my command-line work in a Cygwin shell (or Ubuntu on Windows Subsystem for Linux shell), use Makefiles, shell scripts etc instead of .bat files. But that is just me;)

tml

Country
finland
Why would you want to manually convert all the textures to dds
Hmm, good point, I am not that far yet in my project that I would have had to handle those.

(But as such, I certainly would not do it "manually" separately for each. If I end up not using the Project Editor, I write some Makefiles to automate the work, of course.)