• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

do you combine mesh

Country
hongkong
In other well known platforms like Unity, people combine mesh to improve performance. In FSX P3D, can mesh combining improve performance too? Can it reduce draw calls?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Do you mean the mesh of a 3d object? Mesh is often used as term for elevation data as well, but I don't think you mean that.

I don't think combining mesh for objects helps a lot, as xtomdl already optimized on export.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
A long time ago I had a VC model in MS Combat Flight Simulator 3 which had started to bog down and found combining the mesh of all the screwheads and other small non-animated parts to a single object helped quite a bit. Just watch with FSX you don't overstep the texture vertex limit.

Country
ca-ontario
In my experience, combining mesh doesn't help much... except probably during loading, but that would be just a few nanoseconds, and happens only once per flight....

I think today's graphics cards are so well optimized to handle vertices that their pipeline does not even distinguish between attached or disjointed vertex groups.

I do try not to have redundant vertices ( I weld coincident vertices wherever possible ) except in a few instances where smoothing grouping proves stubborn and doesn't give me the "look" I'm after. That's where I detach polys into a separate mesh "element" which results in a number of duplicated vertices.

Country
us-arizona
When we export a model to MDL format for the simulator, the exporter combines parts that are the same materials. All the work we did to keep parts separate is welded anyways in the export process. Also the parts are triangulated, losing their quad layouts.

When you reverse engineer/open your model after exporting to MDL format, its unrecognizeable... 8-0

I found out later in my days that combining various parts into one mega part made sense and I started doing that. Sometimes I map the parts before I combine them. Then its easier to animate them, etc. One big happy part.....