Docking system for FSX?

Is this possible? A working docking guidence system for FSX? I've had a bit of a search on here, but there's nothing really helpful.

I know it worked for previous versions of the sim (FS9) with CAT and other tools using bounding boxes I think, but is there anyway of making box with arrows and messages that line up the aircraft?:

Thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

That is also something I am still thinking about. Personally I would make the docking system with the FS2004 gamepack, the FSX MDL format does not have the flexibility for that kind of conditional display. With the FS2004 gamepack it is relatively easy as you can tweak the ASM code (no CAT is used for docking systems btw).

What type are you looking for, I have released some for FS2004 and they still work in FSX as well?

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Yes, that article still applies. Those commands work in FSX as well, but you can not do ASM tweaks on FSX MDL files. So you have to use a FS2004 MDL file.

I have made a SafeGate and SafeDock docking system in the past, you can download them in my VGDSTweaker tool from the Downloads section here.

I did not (yet) a NIGS system, but it would certainly be possible. I am willing to help you with it, but I am not sure if I have time for it very soon.

OK on some more research, I have found out that NIGS (Nose-in Guidance System) in a very broad term.

The kind I want to make is actually for Wellington airport (NZWN) and I think they use either SafeDock type 2 or type 3 (Not the S version). T-2 and T-3 are virtually the same as from what I have read. Can anyone correct me? Also It must be a later/different model than your one Arno, because it looks quite different to yours.

The SafeGate website supplies information about them even including measurements (In mm, so I'll make one up now, but I'll have to do some more reading about the codes).
How will I calculate what I need to calculate so this thing knows where my plane is and keeps it on track?

http://www.safegate.com/fileadmin/Safegate/DGS3_991210.pdf

Nick

Edit: Now I've found out that SafeGate is VDGS not NIGS, but I will stick to the VDGS SafeGate

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I guess NIGS, VGDS, VDGS are all abbreviations for this kind of machine. Something to guide you while steering :).

In the example I made you see that I use the SEPARATION_PLANE command to check the position and distance from the user to the docking system. By setting up multiple of those "planes" to check where the user is you can determine which symbol or distance needs to be displayed.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
It's a command to check the position of the user compared to a sort of virtual plane. It is defined by a normal vector and an offset. The command then checks on which side of the plane you are and based on that different commands can be executed. So that for example a different texture is shown on your docking system.

OK, but how do you make this command? Is it a tweak or a physical object you make in gmax for example? I tried searching for it before I posted the question, but nothing that can really tell me step by step how to make it.

Thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

This has nothing to do with GMax anymore. These are commands that you have to insert when you are tweaking the ASM code as described in the tutorial you mentioned. Making a fully functionality docking system can not be done with GMax and MakeMDL alone, you will have to do to the source code (ASM file) level and insert the logic yourself.

OK, me again....is it possible to have FSX recognize the type of plane you are in and have the system display the correct name.

I have found a video on the tube which is very helpful for seeing it the action.

It looks like a type 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi8dDI8pz8k

Edit: I have finished the model of the system and am currently working on the textures.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

No, in FSX you can not have conditional scenery, let alone make the texture mapping conditional based on the aircraft typed used.

In FS2004 I made the ActiGate module to provide this kind of information to the scenery.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I am quite sure that object is made with the FS2004 techniques. About the aircraft name, does that depend on the type you use or is it hardcoded?

It could be they use a technique similar to my ActiGate, but I must say I never tried to get ActiGate working completely in FSX. As it uses FSUIPC it might still work...

n4gix

Resource contributor
Just because it is running in FSX doesn't mean that they used the FSX SDK to create it...

Been thinking about this again. Can FS9 read the same variables as FSX? Eg position of exit, ground speed etc?

I've tried to use the Actigate.dll in FSX but it never asks me to trust it therefore doesn't work.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

FSX does not seem to have the user variables anymore that ActiGate uses. I have been looking at porting it over some time ago, but it is just not possible.

For a basic docking system you don't need ActiGate though. You would only need it if you want to display aircraft type and those kind of things. The direction and distance guidance can be made with checks in the ASM code.

Hi Arno...yeah, I was looking to have the Aircraft info displayed on there but will have to go without.

What should I be requesting over on the P3D feature request forum to overcome these issues?
Models that can read variables and then do different.... 'things'? :D

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I guess that would be conditional display in standard scenery objects, now that only seems to work in aircraft and SimObjects.