Done the Gmax task and now...?

Well.. finally all the pieces are in place... but I need put trees in the scenery.
Having all made in Gmax ¿What do you guys, recommends? ¿Put trees in Gmax too or use another tool? ¿What tool can I use?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I would place trees with XML code. Not sure which version of FS you work for, FsX includes quite a few tree objects by default. And for Fs2004 there are some good object libraries available.

It seems you made everything in one big GMax scene, does that not completely kill your performance?

Hi,

I would place trees with XML code. Not sure which version of FS you work for, FsX includes quite a few tree objects by default. And for Fs2004 there are some good object libraries available.

It seems you made everything in one big GMax scene, does that not completely kill your performance?
Only loading time... but hell... it's a big city :D

Yes, I can't really see how this would work using just one big GMAX file -- what if you used it with a different mesh, wouldn't some objects no longer be at the proper height?

Yes, I can't really see how this would work using just one big GMAX file -- what if you used it with a different mesh, wouldn't some objects no longer be at the proper height?
Yes.. but because Buenos Aires is in a very flat area (The pampa) it really has no effect in the terrain... :D
Well... not exactly... there are some minors height differences in the default terrain so I use a very large flatt area.
The scenery is not one large file (The max polys I try to compile is like 30.000, if the file has more polys, the compile don't work) its made with 5 files for major buildings and 5 files for residential homes.. every bgl has different Image Complex properties so depending on the Image Complexity that the user selects, more or less buildings are showed.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The biggest problem with having everything in one object, is that also all buildings will be drawn at the same time. Even if only one building for your scene is actual in the view, all will be drawn. That is because it is determined per object what should be drawn and not for each polygon in the object. So that is why people usually prefer to render all objects around a local origin and place it at the correct location with XML code. That allows better control over which objects to draw and when.

Especially for big sceneries, that can have a huge influence on the performance.