• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Dornier 328 series

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Almost there, at least exterior-wise.

Those pics aren't 100% up to date. I've fixed the small bugs (= mapping/texture inconsistencies, contact points) since taking those.

Readers of the FSDev Wiki will know that door. (When aircraft contain bones...)

Contact points got fixed. Totally empty, the model even has the same stance on the ground as its real counterpart. :D

The spoilerons...

...and the spoilers will get a few hydraulic cylinders to liven things up a little.

The escape hatch, window rivets and the number on the nose, as well as more small details are decals by the way, say clones of the underlying surface polygons with an alpha-channeled texture which makes only the actually visible parts (= number, hatch, rivets) display. This isn't necessary but it's a convenience for aircraft painters as I didn't have to make the mapping unnecessarily complicated to display those details!

The main landing gear. It used to have bones and skinned mesh, but tests in FSX were totally unsatisfactory so I reverted it to "normal" animations.

Polycount so far: ~102k
Drawcalls: 124 (less than most default airliners)

Go easy on me, this is just my first model. :D

P.S:
Bill (N4gix), in case you're reading this thread...can I use the taxi lights of your freeware Global Express? They're the only ones I could find in my FSX folder.

P.P.S:
Can someone help me out with the rudder spring tab? It works, upon applying rudder in either direction, but when idle it's always deflected to the right.

The XML code:
Code:
<PartInfo>
        <Name>rudder_spring_tab</Name>
        <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
        <Animation>
            <Parameter>
               <Code>                    
                  (A:AIRSPEED TRUE, knots) 160 &lt;
                 if{ (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT, percent) } els{ 50 }
               </Code>
            </Parameter>
        </Animation>
</PartInfo>

Last edited:
Country
us-california
P.P.S:
Can someone help me out with the rudder spring tab? It works, upon applying rudder in either direction, but when idle it's always deflected to the right.

The XML code:
Code:
<PartInfo>
        <Name>rudder_spring_tab</Name>
        <AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
        <Animation>
            <Parameter>
               <Code>                    
                  (A:AIRSPEED TRUE, knots) 160 &lt;
                 if{ (A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT, percent) } els{ 50 }
               </Code>
            </Parameter>
        </Animation>
</PartInfo>

Great looking project! Now I don't really know XML, but let me take a stab at it for a second. Do you know if the els{ 50 } should be 50? Maybe it should be set as 0 (maybe in FS left deflection is a negative %, right deflection is a positive %)...just my thinking, but I am sure you already tried that :D

Good luck on the rest of the project!

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Have you verified that the output of RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT is 0 - 100?

Many times, the output is 0.0 - 1.0, so you need to multiply by 100 to get the results you want... :D

And yes, feel free to use the taxi lights from the freeware GLX.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Have you verified that the output of RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT is 0 - 100?

Err...how? *Scratches head* :eek:

Many times, the output is 0.0 - 1.0, so you need to multiply by 100 to get the results you want... :D

I'll just try that.

And yes, feel free to use the taxi lights from the freeware GLX.

Woohoo! Thanks Bill! :D

And thanks Dave!

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Err...how? *Scratches head* :eek:

I keep a very simple XML scripted "gauge" available just for reasons like this:

Code:
<Gauge Name="LVars" Version="1.0">
   <Image Name="GrayPlacque.bmp" ImageSizes="54,28"/>
      <Element Name="Rudder Deflection">
            <Position X="1" Y="10"/>
            <Text X="135" Y="10" Bright="Yes" Length="120" Font="Arial Bold" FontSize="9" Color="White" Adjust="Left" VerticalAdjust="Bottom" Multiline="No">
               <String>%((A:RUDDER DEFLECTION PCT, percent))%!3.2f!%</String>
            </Text>
   </Element>
</Gauge>

Create a small gray bitmap 54,28 pixels and name it "GrayPlacque.bmp", and place both it and this xml script in a sub-folder of your ..\
Gauge folder named "LVarTest"...

Call for the gauge anywhere on your 2d panel using an entry such as:

gauge30=LVarTest!LVars, 10,10,108,56

Load the a/c and watch the display to see what values the variable returns as you move the rudder...

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
good luck. :D

Oh, I need that right now indeed!

The hydraulic cylinders for the spoilers aren't behaving like they're supposed to in FSX and my bucket of ideas as for the cause is running dry. *Grr*

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Not really, except throwing the model into the hands of a FDE developer and struggling with spec and bump maps.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
*Pant, pant*

Conquering a country on your own just armed with a hammer is easier than those spec and bump maps. The trial and error, headscratching and banging the head on the desk was awful...really awful.

Veeery subtle rainbow effect on the cockpit windows.

Helloooooo, APU!

Spoiler actuators.

Next: Maybe 3D lights. Oh joy! :eek:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
The "main lights": http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139841&postcount=40

Secondary lights:

Daytime - a weak ground splash and a weakly illuminated lamp (probably invisible due to the white livery):

Dusk - the lights growing stronger and more visible:

Dusk with rain - in areas with high humidity (rain, clouds) the light beams will become visible:

Nighttime - party on!

Nighttime with rain - beams!

Cabin lighting:

Modeled lighting is a tedious affair, but so much more flexible than simple night textures! (Variable intensity!)

Last edited:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I'd have never thought I'd see the day...oh well, here we go.

328_Rel_PSA.jpg

http://code.google.com/p/fsx-dornier-328/

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I've already dropped a note of thanks at FFDS, but will add one here as well. Thanks for the early Christmas present. I look forward to putting her through her paces.

If nothing else, now I'll have the basis for generating some AI traffic for it... :rotfl: