Draw coastlines lakes with Google earth and compiler to bgl

Hi
I have once drawn the coastline as well as the islands but how can I convert them to the bgl file?

And how can I make mesh for fsx?

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-earth-and-compiler-to-bgl.443374/post-803937

Hi
I have once drawn the coastline as well as the islands but how can I convert them to the bgl file?
Hello:

You can use SBuilderX version 3.15 to do this by drawing vector lines on either of several imagery tileserver backgrounds in the work-space. :idea:

Since you have already used Google Maps imagery via the Desktop Edition of Google Earth (aka "GE") to draw vector poly-lines as "Paths", you should save the Google Earth 'Path' object as a *.KML file format.

Then convert the *.KML to a *.BLN file using rhumbaflappy's KML2BLN utility:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=eWFoW4OcK8_6sAWekLGQDg&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+rhumbaflappy+KML2BLN&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+rhumbaflappy+KML2BLN&gs_l=psy-ab.3...23037.44207.0.44774.29.28.1.0.0.0.118.2165.26j1.27.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.4.391...0j0i131k1j0i3k1.0.8G0a9tBYncQ

Next, "Append" the *.BLN to a new SBuilder project (to 'import' it).

FYI: If a 'Path' is saved as a *.KMZ, re-name a COPY of the existing *.KMZ as a *.ZIP file extension and extract the *.KML file contained inside.

During the "Append" process you can assign the vertex point Altitude, and FS SDK CVX vector texture type desired for the coastline object.

If you state Geographic coordinates for where you wish to use this vector data and terrain mesh, we may be able to advise you better. ;)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hello:

You can use SBuilderX version 3.15 to do this by drawing vector lines on either of several imagery tileserver backgrounds in the work-space. :idea:

Since you have already used Google Maps imagery via Google Earth Desktop Edition to draw vector poly-lines as "Paths", you should save the Google Earth 'Path' object as a *.KML file format.

Then convert the *.KML to a *.BLN file using rhumbaflappy's KML2BLN utility:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=eWFoW4OcK8_6sAWekLGQDg&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+rhumbaflappy+KML2BLN&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+rhumbaflappy+KML2BLN&gs_l=psy-ab.3...23037.44207.0.44774.29.28.1.0.0.0.118.2165.26j1.27.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.4.391...0j0i131k1j0i3k1.0.8G0a9tBYncQ

Next, "Append" the *.BLN to a new SBuilder project (to 'import' it).

FYI: If a 'Path' is saved as a *.KMZ, re-name a COPY of the existing *.KMZ as a *.ZIP file extension and extract the *.KML file contained inside.

During the "Append" process you can assign the vertex point Altitude, and FS SDK CVX vector texture type desired for the coastline object.

If you state Geographic coordinates for where you wish to use this vector data and terrain mesh, we may be able to advise you better. ;)

GaryGB
Here is the file http://finndo68.com/download/Coastline.kml This is Arsuk in South Greenland it is what I will make if I can:

Hi again:

I suggest that you first review this tutorial by Luis Feliz-Tirado:

Terrain Design

File Description:
Terrain Design for Flight Simulator X

This simple illustrated document explains the basic concepts in Flight Simulator X terrain, and how to change them using SBuilder for FS X. Make new water bodies, roads, vehicle traffic, airport flattens, remove autogen, add more detail - anybody can do it easily and quickly.
My most sincere apologies - I am unable, for lack of free time, to offer support of any kind. For questions or problems, please post in the Avsim scenery design forum.

Filename: terrain_design_for_flight_simulator_x.zip
License: Freeware
Added: 14th December 2009, 13:29:15
Downloads: 16648
Author: Luis Feliz-Tirado
Size: 3991kb

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=141643

BTW: Have you tried converting the *.KML file you linked into a *.BLN format using KML2BLN, then tried to 'Append' the resulting file to a new SBuilderX project ? :scratchch

PS: There is a more detailed 76 Meter LOD-9 terrain mesh BGL for Greenland already compiled and ready to use available via Torrent download from the FreeMeshX project:

FreeMeshX – USA

FYI: You may only need N60W040.bgl and N60W050.bgl FreeMeshX - USA files for your project depending on how much of Greenland you wish to upgrade. :idea:

http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/

http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/bit-torrent-download-links/

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi GaryGB
Yes I have try it KML2BLN.
What to do next after "APPEND" no saving?
I don't like FreeMeshX No coastline in Arsuk, Greenland :-(

Finndo

Hi again:

After the *.BLN is Appended, one can copy & paste the GE 'Path' object within the SBuilderX workspace.

One copy of your GE 'Path' object can be edited as a poly-line only; this may be assigned as a shoreline.

The other copy of your GE 'Path' object can be edited as a polygon only; this may be assigned as a water body.

In SDK TMFViewer:

[Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\TmfViewer.exe

...If you open:

[FSX install path]\Scenery\0401\scenery\cvx3510.bgl

...then right-click and select Identify Vector Features for:

* CVX vector shoreline poly-lines

* CVX vector water polygons

...you will see default texture GUIDs assigned to those objects.

In Windows NotePad, if you open:

[FSX install path]\TERRAIN.CFG

...the vector object GUIDs can be correlated with a default texture name that appears in a pick-list of SBuilderX.

One can then assign that texture name to your CVX vector polygon or poly-line objects to be output by SBuilderX.

Note: One must exclude & replace default CVX vector objects so FreeMeshX terrain mesh can show above sea level and not be flattened by 'default' vectors.

This type of work-flow is explained in the Terrain Design tutorial by Luis Feliz-Tirado cited above. :pushpin:

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi again:

After the *.BLN is Appended, one can copy & paste the GE 'Path' object within the SBuilderX workspace.

One copy of your GE 'Path' object can be edited as a poly-line only; this may be assigned as a shoreline.
Finndo: And this should be as I have drawn a coastline?
The other copy of your GE 'Path' object can be edited as a polygon only; this may be assigned as a water body.
Finndo: Water body??

In SDK TMFViewer:

[Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\TmfViewer.exe

...If you open:

[FSX install path]\Scenery\0401\scenery\cvx3510.bgl

...then right-click and select Identify Vector Features for:

* CVX vector shoreline poly-lines

* CVX vector water polygons

...you will see default texture GUIDs assigned to those objects.

In Windows NotePad, if you open:

[FSX install path]\TERRAIN.CFG

...the vector object GUIDs can be correlated with a default texture name that appears in a pick-list of SBuilderX.

One can then assign that texture name to your CVX vector polygon or poly-line objects to be output by SBuilderX.

Note: One must exclude & replace default CVX vector objects so FreeMeshX terrain mesh can show above sea level.

This type of work-flow is explained in the Terrain Design tutorial by Luis Feliz-Tirado cited above. :pushpin:

GaryGB
My guestions is start with Finndo: above

Hi again:

Your original "Coastline North" GE 'Path' vector object is a pure hydro polygon; it must be copied to make a poly-line for a "Coastline North" shoreline.

Your original "Coastline South" GE 'Path' vector object is a pure shoreline poly-line; it must be copied to make a polygon for a "Coastline South" hydro polygon.

See: SBuilderX Menu > Help > SBuilderX Help > {Search} Tab > Keyword to Find: COPY > click [List Topics] > Working with Points, Lines and Polygons

FYI: After the *.BLN is 'Appended' to SBuilderX, one can copy & paste each of the GE 'Path' vector objects within the SBuilderX work-space.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-earth-and-compiler-to-bgl.443374/post-804033

One copy of your GE 'Path' object can be edited as a pure poly-line; this may be assigned as a shoreline.
'Coastline' (aka "shoreline") is a poly-line vector object, and must be distinguished from a vector 'polygon'.

Your GE 'Path' *.KML converted to *.BLN and Appended to SBuilderX as a vector object must be edited by Line tool to make 1 copy as a pure poly-line.

In SBuilderX, select this poly-line > right-click > Properties > {Vector Lines} tab, assign: "Shorelines_Generic_Ocean - #117"

NOTE: This makes it compatible with other local shorelines in default scenery, based on its vector ID in cvx3510.bgl viewed in TMFViewer

TMFViewer > Identify Vector Features GUID {68900A2A-6679-4580-88EA-8BFED4DAC361} correlated with its entry in Terrain.Cfg shows:

// FSX shorelines - generic ocean shoreline
[Texture.114]
Name=Shorelines_Generic_Ocean
Color=FFC0C000
guid={68900A2A-6679-4580-88EA-8BFED4DAC361}

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/t...-earth-and-compiler-to-bgl.443374/post-804033

The other copy of your GE 'Path' object can be edited as a polygon only; this may be assigned as a water body hydro Polygon
'Water body' (aka "hydro polygon") is a polygon vector object, and must be distinguished from a vector poly-line.

Your GE 'Path' *.KML converted to *.BLN and 'Appended' to SBuilderX as a vector object must be edited by Polygon tool to make a copy as a pure polygon.

In SBuilderX, select this polygon > right-click > Properties > {Vector Lines} tab, assign: "Hydro Polygons - Generic Ocean - Perennial #142"

NOTE: This makes it compatible with other local shorelines in default scenery, based on its vector ID in cvx3510.bgl viewed in TMFViewer

TMFViewer > Identify Vector Features GUID {2D103429-89EB-4CB3-A61E-E188E79C77E7} correlated with its entry in Terrain.Cfg shows:

// Hydro Polygons - Generic Ocean - Perennial
[Texture.199]
Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_Perennial
Color=FF2938FF
guid={2D103429-89EB-4CB3-A61E-E188E79C77E7}

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hi everybody

I am a bit late on the subject, but I found an Online-Source (KML Toolbox) to convert KML-files to other formats. Here is the link:

http://www.zonums.com/online/kml2x/

On this Website there are also some other usefull Tools for conversions avaiable, be it for Airport Design Editor (ADE), SBuilderX, FSX_KML or any other design tool, try by yourself!

Kind regards from Switzerland

Conrad