• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE DSF file to FSX?

Country
unitedstates
Hi Arno,
I went through my current options, and noticed in the texture settings that there are different paths that MCX uses to find the DDS files. Could it just be pointed to the wrong place? I attached the screenshot.

Regards,
Kevin Davis

Attachments

• mcx screen.PNG
    mcx screen.PNG
    27 KB · Views: 185

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Are you sure you have the latest development release? I don't see the PNG DDS equivalence option in your settings.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Arno,
When I click on the "?" on the top right of the screen it says the current version is 1.3.0.0. As a longshot, I'll try to restart my computer and see if that helps.
Regards,
Kevin Davis

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No, you need version 1.4. Check the sticky thread in this forum for download links.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Arno,
Out of curiosity, what forum are you talking about, the Scenery Design | 3D Objects | Model ConverterX one? I don't see any sticky threads on that forum. There is a latest version post, but that is from 2009. Is there a different path on the site for the latest version? Could you paste the direct link?
Regards,
Kevin Davis

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
And yes, the sticky forum post from 2009 gives you the link for the latest development release.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Aparantly it's 10 years ago already that I setting the build system for the development release (I forgot it is that long). But although the link hasn't changed, it points to the latest build all the time.

Country
unitedstates
I downloaded the latest development release, but when I load the program, it says, "The application could not be started. Would you like to view information about the issue?" Do I need to uninstall the old one?
Regards,
Kevin Davis

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Nope, you can have them both installed. Do you have .NET 4.0 installed? The error happens directly after you click the icon or do you see the MCX screen?

Country
unitedstates
Good morning, Arno,
I get the error when I double click on the ModelConverterX.exe file located in the .zip folder.
Regards,
Kevin Davis

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Check which .NET framework you have installed. Also make sure to extract the zip, else some libraries can't be found.

Country
unitedstates
Hey Arno,
Making progress! I downloaded MCX 1.4, and that seemed to resolve the checkered texture issue, and I'm at least getting textures in the models. However, no matter which model I load into MCX I get an "Error while loading modeldef.xml file" message. What could be the issue here?
Regards,
Kevin Davis

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You can ignore that message. It probably means you don't have the FS SDK installed, but as long as there are no animations involved it doesn't matter.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Arno,
I'm using MCX on my X-Plane computer, since the models I am trying to convert are OBJ's. I don't have the SDK installed on that computer, because FSX isn't even on there. While the checkered texture seems to be resolved, the textures still look weird, as pictured in the following screenshot.
Regards,
Kevin Davis

Attachments

• mcx screenshot.PNG
    mcx screenshot.PNG
    133.8 KB · Views: 187

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
If these are DDS textures, they probably need to be flipped vertically.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
X-Plane uses the DDS textures different from FS. So in the texture options you need to set flip textures to true.