• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Dual Temp Gauge

Country
us-northcarolina
Ok so I got 2 threads going. I am a nooby and need a lot of help and I have been coming here for a while and getting good help from generous people.

Here is a shot of the gauge I am working on. In the Stoof there are some gauges that were made Left and Right individually. In the aircraft these are actually dual gauges so I am combining them and I felt successfully but I am scratching my head with the needles on this one.
Gauge.jpg

Here is the code I combined and modified I thought correctly. The needle is coded to point East but its not its opposite of what it should be doing. Tell me what I wrote wrong please.

XML:
<Gauge Name="Cyl Head Temp" Version="1.0">
  <Image Name="Cyl Head Temp Dual.bmp" Luminous="Yes"/>
  <Size X="430" Y="430"/>
  <Element>
    <Position X="0" Y="215"/>
    <Image Name="Temp Needle.bmp" Luminous="Yes" PointsTo="East">
    <Axis X="160" Y="5"/>
     </Image>
    <Rotate>
      <Value Minimum="0" Maximum="300">(A:Eng1 cylinder head temperature,celsius)</Value>
      <Failures>
         <SYSTEM_ELECTRICAL_PANELS Action="0"/>
         <SYSTEM_ENGINE Action="0"/>
      </Failures>
      <Nonlinearity>
            <Item Value="0" X="93" Y="284"/>
            <Item Value="100" X="35" Y="187"/>
            <Item Value="200" X="36" Y="114"/>
            <Item Value="300" X="94" Y="17"/>

</Nonlinearity>
      <Delay DegreesPerSecond="90"/>
    </Rotate>
  </Element>

<Element>
    <Position X="425" Y="215"/>
    <Image Name="Temp Needle.bmp" Luminous="Yes" PointsTo="West">
    <Axis X="160" Y="5"/>
     </Image>
    <Rotate>
      <Value Minimum="0" Maximum="300">(A:Eng2 cylinder head temperature,celsius)</Value>
      <Failures>
      </Failures>
      <Nonlinearity>
            <Item Value="0" X="93" Y="284"/>
            <Item Value="100" X="35" Y="187"/>
            <Item Value="200" X="36" Y="114"/>
            <Item Value="300" X="94" Y="17"/>

</Nonlinearity>
    </Rotate>
  </Element>

<Mouse>
     <Area>
       <Tooltip ID="TOOLTIPTEXT_ENG1&2_CHT_CELSIUS"/>
     </Area>
    </Mouse>
</Gauge>

Country
indonesia
The 'point to east', 'point to west refers to the direction the arrow points on the bitmap, not the direction you want it to point on the gauge.
If you're using the same bitmap for both needles, the point to should be the same.
The actual orientation on the gauge is determined by your 'Position' amd 'Nonlinearity' sections.

Country
us-northcarolina
Ok since I know about enough to mess things up could I ask if you would write the code correction for that needle for me please? I have two other gauges to do the same thing to combine and I will be able to copy that and learn how with this and them too. Thank you.

Country
us-northcarolina
I am providing a dropbox for you to the new dual cyl head temp gauge I just created using the DC Volt Amps gauge as an example I did not see before. It appears to be working in FSPS for placement but when I open the aircraft in FSX it is missing just a blank bezel. Please check out the gauge for correctness and then see if YOU can get it in an aircraft. Thank you for taking all this time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlh3zc31prik4zr/Cyl Head Temp Dual.zip?dl=0

Going out to lunch...will check with you as soon as I return.

Country
us-northcarolina
Have you found anything yet? I just tried again adding a <Size to the xml but that did not make any difference. Either in the 2D or the VC the gauge opens up...can be positioned on the panel...saved. When it is opened up in FSX the panel has blank bezels. Waiting to hear from you. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Country
indonesia
Couple of things to remember;
Gauges always rotate clockwise, even those that don't.
Making up your own tooltips doesn't work, stick to those in the SDK.

Try this;
Code:
<Gauge Name="Cyl Head Temp" Version="1.0">
  <Image Name="Cyl Head Temp Dual.bmp" Luminous="Yes"/>
  <Size X="300" Y="300"/>

<Element>
    <Position X="0" Y="152"/>
    <Axis X="160" Y="5"/>
     </Image>
    <Rotate>
      <Value Minimum="0" Maximum="300">(A:ENG CYLINDER HEAD TEMPERATURE:1,Celsius)</Value>
      <Failures>
      </Failures>
      <Nonlinearity>
    <Item Value="300" X="57" Y="30"/>
    <Item Value="200" X="115" Y="118"/>
    <Item Value="100" X="114" Y="185"/>
    <Item Value="0" X="59" Y="275"/>
    </Nonlinearity>
    </Rotate>
  </Element>

<Element>
    <Position X="299" Y="152"/>
    <Axis X="160" Y="5"/>
     </Image>
    <Rotate>
      <Value Minimum="0" Maximum="300">(A:ENG CYLINDER HEAD TEMPERATURE:2,celsius)</Value>
      <Failures>
      </Failures>
      <Nonlinearity>
            <Item Value="0" X="244" Y="275"/>
            <Item Value="100" X="185" Y="186"/>
            <Item Value="200" X="185" Y="118"/>
            <Item Value="300" X="244" Y="30"/>
    </Nonlinearity>
    </Rotate>
  </Element>

<!--
  -  <Element>
    <Image Name="Cyl Head Temp Cover.bmp">
    </Image>
    </Element>
-->

<Mouse>
     <Area Left="151" Top="0" Right="300" Bottom="300">
       <Tooltip ID="TOOLTIPTEXT_ENG1_CHT_CELSIUS"/>
     </Area>
    </Mouse>
</Gauge>

Country
us-northcarolina
I copied this gauge text and put it in the gauge. Then opened it up in FSPS and replaced them in position. They show up perfectly in FSPS but when I open up FSX they STILL are invisible. Nothing but the open bezel no gauge in it. Scratching my head! Attached is the panel.cfg You can see where it is at the bottom.

Attachments

• panel.zip
    4 KB · Views: 124
Country
indonesia
In your panel.cfg file you have "gauge42=Cyl Head Temp Dual!Dual Cylinder head Temp, 852,671,67,67"

You named the file you uploaded earlier as "Cyl Head Temp Gauge".

Did you rename it for some reason?

Country
us-northcarolina
No, is that the problem? Does the Gauge File that contains the bmps and xml have to be the exact same name as the xml code? As I said I know just about enough about xml coding to get myself into a heap of trouble not getting what I want to work the way I want. That's why I'm here for help from you. Thank you for your time helping.

Country
us-northcarolina
I just renamed everything from the folder to the xml code all the same identical name and it still doesn't show up after reinstalling. Also, why does the code for the cover have the <!-- and --> the other gauges with covers don't the just start with <Element> and end with </Element> for future reference.
<!--
- <Element>
</Image>
</Element>
-->

Country
us-northcarolina
After banging my head against the wall and neither of us figuring why this just won't show, I took the dual hydraulic gauge code that I got from another panel and modified it for cylinder head temp and it works. It appears right where it's supposed to be. Thank you for all your help.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I just renamed everything from the folder to the xml code all the same identical name and it still doesn't show up after reinstalling. Also, why does the code for the cover have the <!-- and --> the other gauges with covers don't the just start with <Element> and end with </Element> for future reference.
<!--
- <Element>
</Image>
</Element>
-->
The <!-- xxxxxxx --> comments out the enclosed script. It is a quick way to disable some <Element> you don't want to be read.

Country
us-northcarolina
OK, thank you for your help. I'll try again later. Right now I've got it to fly so I'll fly for awhile not having done that in a week working on gauges and such.

Country
us-northcarolina
Thanks Bill, that's why I ask here and slowly verrrrry slowly but surely I AM learning or at least trying to.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Also, for your general information, the first part of a gauge entry is the folder name in which the various XML gauges are kept. The second part following the exclamation point ! is the name of the XML script:

gauge00=MyFolderName!MyGaugeName, x,y,w,h

Country
indonesia
BTW, I only commented out the cover so that I could see the needles when the engine was cold.

Country
us-northcarolina
Thank you I will try it again later. I have to write a pilot's manual for the aircraft today. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. When (if?LOL) I can get it to work in the panel I have to convert the hydraulic and the oil temps from single gauges to dual just like this one.