• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Duplicate AFCAD's

Country
us-texas
I am currently working on custom scenery for KGYI (North Texas Regional Airport). I began with the default AFCAD which was named Grayson County Airport and stripped everything except the main runway. . .I renamed it, as there was a name change in 2008. On top of that, there is also an airport designator F39 (the FAA Designation) for Grayson County Airport. I am just about complete as far as custom work is concerned and I've placed all the taxiways, parking ramp and parking spots per the photoreal ground texture which I used as a background in ADE.

I have noticed, however, that some aircraft landing at the airport seem to get lost once they exit the runway. One in particular seems confused about where it should be going and taxi's all over the place, occasionally crossing a taxi path at which point it corrects itself and taxi's on that line. Is it possible that because of the various airport codes and Names that I have a duplicate runway interfering with the main AFCAD I've done in ADE? If so, how do I lock those out?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
If you renamed your new airport with a different ident than the stock one then this won't exclude the stock airport. You should load the stock airport and delete everything and then save and compile that to lose the stock airport. If you still have an addon airport file that is named for the stock file then make sure that it does not duplicate anything in any of the other files

Country
us-texas
I didn't change the ICAO code, that wasn't changed, just the airport name. The Airport remains KGYI.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
OK - then I guess you need to search for any other airport bgl files that might contain this airport and could be providing unwanted features

GHD

Country
england
I don't think it has anything to do with duplicate afcads.

I have two airports (out of hundreds) where this happens for no apparent reason.

One is a typical British WW2 triangular runway setup and the other is a single runway with two exits.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
I have seen this happen a couple of times. I fixed it by adding additional taxi nodes in the runway link. (But, maybe that was just luck!)

Don

GHD

Country
england
I solved my latest by deleting two links and inesrting a single link:

Of course the aircraft don't follow the photo-line textures but at least they don't wander off the edge of the runway and zig-zag back to the taxiway.

snip-------------

I have noticed, however, that some aircraft landing at the airport seem to get lost once they exit the runway. One in particular seems confused about where it should be going and taxi's all over the place, occasionally crossing a taxi path at which point it corrects itself and taxi's on that line.

The smaller the default AI Aircraft the more likely they will wonder around (after exiting the runway) before finding the taxiway. This occurs at many FSX airports that have the very small FSX GA planes such as the Maule and PA28.

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Jim, could this be due to the range of the search for an exit from the runway somehow being related to aircraft size/speed/braking distance/etc. such that smaller, slower aircraft are more likely to be affected? In the few cases where I have seen this issue at my airports, I've resolved it by adding more taxi nodes to the runway link

Don

Jim, could this be due to the range of the search for an exit from the runway somehow being related to aircraft size/speed/braking distance/etc. such that smaller, slower aircraft are more likely to be affected? In the few cases where I have seen this issue at my airports, I've resolved it by adding more taxi nodes to the runway link

Don

When smaller GA planes land (even in calm winds) and slow to taxi speed they veer left or right then resume (in a straight line taxi mode) to the exit when one exist close to the roll out.

Many years ago (2007) Reggie made a suggestion to George to place extra nodes on the runway to help eliminate the veering. Did it work? Some say it helped some say it did not help.
George

Do you have MS's SDK Traffic Toolbox Explorer available ?
Can you tell if the behavior occurs during a mode change from Landing to Rollout ?
Many aircraft will turn slightly to the side during the final braking steps if they are on a very long runway link.
I guess the behavior is to assist them in turning around to back taxi to a runway departure point.
You might try putting a few nodes down the center of the runway link - especially one about 50-100 feet each side of where the aircraft stop and turn.

the full post
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ai-landing-behaviour.5808/

However the problem continues on taxiways and some default small airplanes cannot find their parking spot because of the left and right veering problem when turning. Tail dragger type AI planes show the worst behavior versus the tricycle gear type plane.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The default Piper Cub is very bad at this; the replacement FDE available improves this considerably (but not completely).

Country
sweden
I don't think it has anything to do with duplicate afcads.

I have two airports (out of hundreds) where this happens for no apparent reason.

One is a typical British WW2 triangular runway setup and the other is a single runway with two exits.

I've run into a few of those also over the years and it was due to Ultimate Terrain.