• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Dynamic intake animation ( SOLVED )

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi folks, I've got an animated air intake that is based upon Angle of Attack ( Incidence Alpha ). The animation all works as planned, but it "wobbles" rather than moving smoothly from the up position to the maximum deflection position of ten degrees when in high-alpha flight - there must be an element I'm missing in my code. Does anybody have an idea what I've done wrong? :)

ETA: The intake moves a total of ten degrees, one degree for each degree of angle of attack.

Code:
<PartInfo>
<Name>Intake_Auto</Name>
<AnimLength>100</AnimLength>
<Animation>
<Parameter>
           <Code>(A:INCIDENCE ALPHA,Degrees) (E:ABSOLUTE TIME, second) * 100 % 1.0 / </Code>
</Parameter>
</Animation>
</PartInfo>

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
'Lag' is good for slowing things down, see post 35 here;

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi folks,

I've been doing some more work on this and I've noticed that the timing part of the code is causing the intakes to raise up again instead of remaining down based on increasing Incidence Alpha - in essence, they're running through a cycle rather than responding to AOA.

Code:
<PartInfo>
<Name>Intake_Auto_F15</Name>
<Animation>
<Parameter>
           <Code>(L:Intake Ramp Switch, bool)
           if{ (A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, Radians) (A:AIRSPEED INDICATED,knots) 150 &gt; (E:ABSOLUTE TIME, second) * 100 % 1.0 /  }
           els{ 0 } </Code>
           <Lag>10</Lag>
</Parameter>
</Animation>
</PartInfo>

It also runs a bit slow, despite having the Lag entry set quite low. I suspect this is all something to do with the Absolute Time entry but I can't really get my head around it. Any pointers hugely appreciated :)

D

Deleted member 1281

Don't get the overall logic of the code but the principle of Lag is the lower the lag setting the slower the animation. You seem to have it the other way round?

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Don't get the overall logic of the code but the principle of Lag is the lower the lag setting the slower the animation. You seem to have it the other way round?

Well, that sorted the speed of movement! :) Just the cycling of the animation to go. Gotta be something about the mathematical at the end of the code, but without something there the animation doesn't play at all, so I must be referencing something incorrectly. The animation does respond to Incidence Alpha, above 150 KIAS with the intake switch set to "AUTO", so the logic is generally okay otherwise.

Country
austria
first order lag function

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/making-a-bitmap-element-slide-slowly.437777/

https://www.google.at/search?q=first+order+lag+formula&cad=h

my code

Code:
<!-- First Lag Order -->
      0.7 s8   <!-- factor K  lag setting  -->
      (L:XMLKeys_Rudder,percent)         l8 *            <!-- raw_sensor_value -->

(L:XMLKeys_Rudder_PRV,percent)    1 l8 - *     <!-- 1 - k * --><!--  prv_filtered_value -->

+ d (&gt;L:CORE7X_Pedal_Pos_Axis,percent)    <!-- output value -->
            (&gt;L:XMLKeys_Rudder_PRV,percent)         <!-- new_filtered_value -->
<!-- First Lag Order -->

maybe try using degree. there is a greater change of the value

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
first order lag function

maybe try using degree. there is a greater change of the value

Degree didn't make much of a difference, although I agree that it should have done. I don't think that lag is the issue as that's already been sorted. It's the fact that the animation is cycling based on Absolute Time that's my issue. I think that I need a value for Incidence Alpha against the 100 keyframes to sort it, but I'm not entirely sure on the logic required as I thought that animating based on Incidence Alpha would automatically rotate the animation as AOA increased ( although I know that it's not quite the same in the sim as in real life ).

Country
austria
Code:
 (A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, Radians) (A:AIRSPEED INDICATED,knots) 150 &gt;

This gives you only 0 or 1.
I would recommend to write to testgauge to check your outputs.
and then of course you have to set your animation.

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I've tried several different code types but this one still has me stuck. I tried another code variation to see if the intakes would take to three set positions;

Code:
<PartInfo>
<Name>Intake_Auto_F15</Name>
    <animation>
        <parameter>
            <code>(L:Intake Ramp Switch, bool) (A:AIRSPEED INDICATED, knots) 150 &gt; and
                              if{ (A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, Degrees) 5 &gt;
                                  if{ 100 } els{ 50 } }
                             els{ 0 }</code>
            <lag>100</lag>
        </parameter>
    </animation>
</PartInfo>

This one also failed to move. It's an oddity, as surely it shouldn't be too difficult to get something to move based on Incidence Alpha, whether radians or degrees?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Check the capitalization of the code tags and unit. I remember FSX being rather pedantic about this.

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Check the capitalization of the code tags and unit. I remember FSX being rather pedantic about this.

Good spot, Degrees should be degrees - will test it tomorrow, a bit burned out by this one at the moment so making mistakes I shouldn't.

Country
austria
Did a test. Degrees works.
Did a testflight B727.
above 150 knots (A:INCIDENCE ALPHA, Degrees) was below 5.

Do you know what (E:ABSOLUTE TIME, second) means?

for AOA there is A:ANGLE OF ATTACK INDICATOR.

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I'm beginning to suspect that there is something amiss with the model that's preventing the animation from running - it happens sometimes with visibility conditions. Going to check through before testing any further, and will report back.

The aircraft in question is the F-15 Eagle, which can obviously pull very high-G, high-alpha turns, so the intake movement through ten degrees should be easily visible, as well of course when landing and taking off.

Country
austria
Here an excerpt from a very good F18 HUD. the original HUD by Scott Printz.

Code:
            //---- AOA BRACKET
            <Element>
                <Visible>(A:GEAR HANDLE POSITION,percent) 0 &gt;</Visible>
                <Clip Top="160" Left="68" Right="592" Bottom="790"/>   
                <Image Name="AoA_bracket_00FF00.bmp" Bright="Yes" ImageSizes="25,90">
                    </Image>                   
                <Shift>
                    <Delay PixelsPerSecond="120"/>
                    <Value Minimum="2.1" Maximum="14.1">(A:INCIDENCE ALPHA,Degrees)</Value>
                    <Nonlinearity>
                        <Item Value="-1.9" X="-19" Y="-310"/>
                        <Item Value="6.9" X="-19" Y="-46"/>
                        <Item Value="8.1" X="-19" Y="-10"/>
                        <Item Value="9.3" X="-19" Y="26"/>
                        <Item Value="18.1" X="-19" Y="290"/>
                    </Nonlinearity>
                </Shift>       
            </Element>

it uses value from 2.1 to 14.1
Shortly ago a saw a F15 youtube video where you can very good see the movement of this intake.

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Here an excerpt from a very good F18 HUD. the original HUD by Scott Printz.

Yes, I have used similar code for the AOA indexer in my Super Hornets and the Eagles, and it works fine. However, using it as part of a physical animation is not working in the same way at all. The airplane's visibility codes are not blocking anything, so it must be something I'm doing wrong. If I animate the parts to elevator, for instance, they move perfectly. Try them with the incidence alpha variable, there is no motion at all. I'm not sure why.

Country
indonesia
Yes, I have used similar code for the AOA indexer in my Super Hornets and the Eagles, and it works fine. However, using it as part of a physical animation is not working in the same way at all. The airplane's visibility codes are not blocking anything, so it must be something I'm doing wrong. If I animate the parts to elevator, for instance, they move perfectly. Try them with the incidence alpha variable, there is no motion at all. I'm not sure why.
Check your variable is there value changed. If it have changed, then go on animation.
If your code inside modeldef, make it as simple as possible.

Note: lag animation is not sync together between external and internal view.

Deano1973

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have tried pretty much every combination I can think of on this, in terms of code, but have had no success. I created a small dummy part and animated it in the same way, and it fails to respond to anything, which is very strange. But, if tagged with an existing rotation-based animation, such as elevator per cent, they all animate perfectly well. This leads me to believe that the issue is something to do with the relation between the number of keyframes and the degrees of rotation at play in the code. My experience thus far with XML doesn't provide enough knowledge to "see" through the problem, and despite much Googling I haven't been able to find comparable code to test that worked. Even stranger, I have created custom animated rotating / flipping switches until the cows come home and they all work just fine, so why a simple ten degree rotating AOA animation would prove so difficult is beyond me at the moment.

I shall keep plugging away and post the solution here when I figure one out.