• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

E3 2018... No Simulators in sight...

Country
argentina
It's kinda sad no one of the big publishers are developing new simulations... not even military flight sims... we're a niche after all :(

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I think flight simulation has become so demanding of realism that no game developer is willing to wade in. The recent cancellation of Dovetail's efforts is not surprising, nor was the collapse of Microsoft's Flight. As a group, we are so critical and demanding that no one can deliver a satisfying product. In retrospect, FSX was an amazing achievement, probably not to be repeated. The few viable sims we have are probably what will exist for the foreseeable future, with P3D and XPlane being the primary sims.

Country
us-arizona
Remember that Prepar3D and XPlane are 'evolving' still. P3D just went 64bit, which they wanted to do back in the days of FSX being designed.

Gamers are not like flight simmers. Gamers need a trail to follow, a medal to win, a battle to fight, something to do. In FS, they are lost, lolol... They are like.. what do you do?? They do not know about flying, exploring, etc, etc.

Side note... I was checking out Farming Simulator 2 or 3 years ago. I was really impressed and was checking out the scenery. I found I could park a tractor and cross a field and climb up a mountain. I went exploring through the countryside on foot, lolol... I thought, if only they could make this scenery 'huge' they could make a humble flight simulator for it. Put some airplanes in it. But mind you, then come the airline people who want at least half the worlds hemisphere so they can do Heathrow to New York runs, so they are angry they cant do that. Others want space, so they are upset...

But... exploring that mountain in Farming Simulator, that was a bit of fun.

How about that russian sim that uses fractal coding? That thing is amazing. I have totally forgotten the name of it and the studio that is building it. Taking forever, but they are open to garage studios that wish to use their engine. You could easily create other worlds, which I would love to do... Make a hyper drive and hop from planet to planet.. Purchase new planets and really have a wild setup.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I think flight simulation has become so demanding of realism that no game developer is willing to wade in.
I (respectfully) disagree. Flight simming has lost its "twinkle."
Amelia Earhart and Charles Lindbergh were COOL. United Airlines making mothers prove parenthood of their infant child is not so fun to deal with. I'm not going to go into the rights and wrongs, valid arguments on both sides and the whole situation is a sign of the times. To sum it up, leaping off into the bright blue sky has become rather pedestrian. If you are unable to envision machines replacing pilots, then you will not agree with this perspective, as I am absolutely certain the change is inevitable.

I believe destinations remain the bread and butter of flight simming. People enjoy virtual 360° tours of the Great Pyramid, but they really enjoy "going there". The popularity of simulators representing (presumably) more mundane activities, train engineering and bus driving, imply flight simming will remain popular, at least in some form. I do not use train and bus sims and I do not know how detailed they get in the navigational and operational aspects of their sim, which to me defines flight simming, a destination being an excuse to start the engines. I am not you typical consumer, my flight simming simulates me as a developer.
:)

Country
norway
Xplane and P3D Are definately moving forward.
And what about AeroflyFS2? Also check out deadstick and aerosoft's upcoming glider simulator :)

Finn

Sent fra min HUAWEI VNS-L31 via Tapatalk

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Bought X-Plane 11 after having tried the demo one too many times. So far, it's the mistress I've always wanted because my marriage to MSFS has gone stale. It's far from perfection, mind you, but all the "Oooohs", "Aaaaahs" and "People pay money to have that in MSFS?!?". And it really feels like something completely different instead of P3D's "more of the same, just slightly better".

Country
us-arizona
Bought X-Plane 11 after having tried the demo one too many times. So far, it's the mistress I've always wanted because my marriage to MSFS has gone stale. It's far from perfection, mind you, but all the "Oooohs", "Aaaaahs" and "People pay money to have that in MSFS?!?". And it really feels like something completely different instead of P3D's "more of the same, just slightly better".

I might try it out. Many of my customers have gone to XP11. I downloaded XP10 last night. meh... I'll have to save up for 11.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I might try it out. Many of my customers have gone to XP11. I downloaded XP10 last night. meh... I'll have to save up for 11.

The demo for 11 is free and you can at least take off in the ten minutes it gives you with unocked flight controls.

I've got a hunch that you'll really like the visuals.

P.S: Make sure to bring A LOT of RAM!

Country
us-arizona
The demo for 11 is free and you can at least take off in the ten minutes it gives you with unocked flight controls.

I've got a hunch that you'll really like the visuals.

P.S: Make sure to bring A LOT of RAM!

I have 16 Gigs. I hope thats enough. My GC only has 2 or 3 Gigs of VRAM though.

Are you experimenting with exporting to XP11?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I have 16 Gigs. I hope thats enough. My GC only has 2 or 3 Gigs of VRAM though.

Are you experimenting with exporting to XP11?

At the moment, I just want a simuator to fly in.

Model exporting shouldn't be much of an issue. Flight dynamics and systems also seem manageable. It's the gauges, that's the most alien thing to me.

Country
us-arizona
I heard the hard part for modelers is animations. Also, I wonder if they have a 3ds Max export option yet?

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
looks full of potential. Points made earlier about the simmer being a different animal to the gamer - absolutely correct! Having been offered an hour flying on a battle sim ( yawn) took off shot down loads landed. 20 minutes job sorted. No real skill except press rocket or guns , fly at floating ammo box, done. Best part was the scenery using vr headset. Even did a top gun air break manoeuvre for good effect ....... If we had a flight sim that had graphics like black ops , assassins creed etc , wow, door locked, windows covered, sound bar on, vr set on and some nice cockpit tools we,d all hibernate never to be seen again