• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

E3 2018... No Simulators in sight...

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
I certainly don't think FSX was a disappointment. Still being sold. Tens of thousands of users, thousands of addons, and sprouted a huge supply of 3rd party developers.

That's what it is now, but when it came out nobody could run it, it crashed all the time, and had poor backwards compatibility. FSX is, I believe, the bestselling Sim of all time, but by the time that happened ACES had shut down. It eventually became what it is today, but I remember that a lot of people stuck with FS2004 for many years until FSX became playable and had its own collection of add-ons. I have FSX, P3d, and XP11. I think they're all great sims, but the second two came out with many fewer bugs than FSX did in 2006. What do you think is wrong with the second two?

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
theres been no new flightsim because the so called "community" is toxic to any company that tries, be they big or small. The complaints either go the way of "gamey and not a serious flightsim" to "just another company after money". P3d was only "accepted" because in its few few iterations it was basically FSX with a few fixes.

FSX had so many bugs because ACES wanted to break away from the old sim code (which was pretty much the same since CFS2 days) but were forced to keep backwards compatability. Remeber the uproar when it was leaked by testers that SP1 broke old models??

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
I'll have to agree with that, the flightsim community is by-and-large completely unbearable. This forum and the flightsim subreddit are the only places where people are just here to enjoy the hobby and share ideas.

Country
unitedstates
theres been no new flightsim because the so called "community" is toxic to any company that tries, be they big or small. The complaints either go the way of "gamey and not a serious flightsim" to "just another company after money". P3d was only "accepted" because in its few few iterations it was basically FSX with a few fixes.

FSX had so many bugs because ACES wanted to break away from the old sim code (which was pretty much the same since CFS2 days) but were forced to keep backwards compatability. Remeber the uproar when it was leaked by testers that SP1 broke old models??

Its ability to use modified FSX planes might give Flyinside Sim a leg up as well, if it can survive community indifference long enough.

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
From the FlyInside user manual:

FlyInside adds cutting edge virtual reality support to Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D

Is that still the case? It simply enhances FSX or P3D?

Edited:

Found my own answer. FlyInside needs to update their manual/wiki. FSX or P3D is not used in their new flight simulator. I can see some promise in their new sim. But I also saw some promise in Flight, and that was a commercial disaster, and folded quickly. For about $35 US, we can all become beta testers...available on Steam.

Last edited:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
theres been no new flightsim because the so called "community" is toxic to any company that tries, be they big or small.

If you think the Flight sim community is toxic, you should try the photographic forums. Tin hat required, plus body armour!

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
If you'd like to see a more up to date toxic flightsim community, try the semi-official one for X-Plane. You'll need a hazmat suit. No wonder the X-Plane devs stay away.

(As usual, the developer section is one of the few semi-sane places.)

Country
australia
[Checks calendar]
[Checks thread title]
[Checks calendar again]
[Shrugs]

o3OAL5I.gif

ROFL!

Country
australia
From the FlyInside user manual:

Is that still the case? It simply enhances FSX or P3D?

Edited:

Found my own answer. FlyInside needs to update their manual/wiki. FSX or P3D is not used in their new flight simulator. I can see some promise in their new sim. But I also saw some promise in Flight, and that was a commercial disaster, and folded quickly. For about $35 US, we can all become beta testers...available on Steam.

The new sim is pretty good. IMHO it fills a gap, or at least it will with a bit more tweaking. FlyInside Flight Simulator is focused on great, fluid performance in VR, which it achieves. Aerofly FS2 also has amazing performance in VR, and is a simulator I really enjoy, especially with the focus on VR and photoreal imagery. Where AFS2 is lacking, among other areas, is with complex aircraft and flight dynamics. It is more a scenery simulator for VR. FlyInside on the other hand has a great range of models which are all outstanding in FSX and P3D, from Milviz and TFDi. The scenery in FlyInside is pretty basic, but not terrible, in fact after the recent updates (and on my new system) the vegetation and 3D house models look really good. I think if the flight dynamics are improved, and if the range of complex aircraft ports are perfected a bit more to mirror their FSX/P3d versions FlyInside is filling that void of a fluid VR experience with complex aircraft. It seems very hard to achieve such a fluid experience in FSX, P3D or X Plane, even if they are usable in VR.

JB3DG

Resource contributor
Country
southafrica
This website, FSDeveloper.com, is awesome. We have some great people here. Thanks for the peace and also everyone helping each other, making us a strong community.

Its one of the few forums where everyone is mostly quite respectful, dignified, gracious, and lacking the toxicity in other FS forums. There are 2 or 3 blunt blokes here that I can think of, but our skins are thick enough to take them.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
There are 2 or 3 blunt blokes here that I can think of, but our skins are thick enough to take them.

[Takes a bow]

Ah, the good old "good dev - bad dev" game. Separating the weak from the promising, one "Wrong forum", "You'll be in way over your head" and "Project leadership is a useless skill in this environment" at a time. It's like the 3ds Max/GMax Gamepack installation, but in human form. Struggle. Feral instincts. One with nature. Survival. Feeling ALIVE. [Stares into the distance, eyes narrowed, sipping coffee. Far away sounds of heads banging on desks, greying eyebrows and screams of agony]

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Ah, the good old "good dev - bad dev" game. Separating the weak from the promising, one "Wrong forum", "You'll be in way over your head" and "Project leadership is a useless skill in this environment" at a time. It's like the 3ds Max/GMax Gamepack installation, but in human form. Struggle. Feral instincts. One with nature. Survival. Feeling ALIVE. [Stares into the distance, eyes narrowed, sipping coffee. Far away sounds of heads banging on desks, greying eyebrows and screams of agony]

Bjoern, old bean, you’re plagiarising the next instalment of Norbert...

TurboCompound

Resource contributor
As someone else pointed out, this is an exact duplicate of an older thread (E3 2018 was quite a while ago). I think the original poster might be a bot.