• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 EDAH - Heringsdorf Regional Airport

Country
germany
EDAH - Heringsdorf Regional Airport (released on 06-30-13)

Hi,

this is my scenery design training project: EDAH Heringsdorf.
The Airport is located in the north east of Germany on the island of Usedom.
See Google Maps: http://maps.google.de/?ll=53.87004,14.155197&spn=0.079757,0.188313&t=h&z=13

I've been playing around with MS Flightsim since FS 2002. Mainly focused on flying PMDG's products and a little bit aircraft livery painting.
Last august I came across Google Sketchup, this community and all the cool applications by Arno which made me want to try scenery design.

Right now I'm concentrating on developing my modeling and texturing methods.
But there are many tasks on my list to learn:
- how to add all the lightning effects
- how to animate scenery (a couple of moving cars in the airport area are a must-have)
- how to use ADE (in depth) I was only able to make a some flatten and exclude triangles by now.
- how to adjust landclass
..... :rolleyes:

Some images of the current state:

teaser4.jpg

teaser2x.jpg

teasert.jpg

teaser3m.jpg

Cheers Volker

Last edited:
Country
finland
Sieht doch schon super aus!

Really nice work! I haven't flown to Heringsdorf yet, only to Peenemünde a couple of times. But it would be interesting cause of the warbird-collection.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Nice!

Someday I'll do a proper pre-1990 rendition of EDAH. It saw quite a lot of diverse military traffic back in the day.

Country
germany
Hi!

New development screens of my scenery project. Modeling and Texturing is a time intensive task....but I made some steps forward. Buildings will ready soon, next on my list: runway signs, lights, antennas, finishing of the taxiway markings.....etc.

T-24h from now until 2013. Happy New Year Party tommorow!
Cheers Volker

Attachments

• edah_teaser12_3.jpg
    edah_teaser12_3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,277
  • edah_teaser12_5.jpg
    edah_teaser12_5.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,155
  • edah_teaser12_6.jpg
    edah_teaser12_6.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,033
  • edah_teaser12_7.jpg
    edah_teaser12_7.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,074
  • edah_teaser12_8.jpg
    edah_teaser12_8.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,082
  • edah_teaser12_9.jpg
    edah_teaser12_9.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,106
  • edah_teaser12_13.jpg
    edah_teaser12_13.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,146
  • edah_teaser12_12.jpg
    edah_teaser12_12.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,191
  • edah_teaser12_10.jpg
    edah_teaser12_10.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • edah_teaser12_14.jpg
    edah_teaser12_14.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,061
  • edah_teaser12_141.jpg
    edah_teaser12_141.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 981
  • edah_teaser12_142.jpg
    edah_teaser12_142.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,086
Country
unitedkingdom
Hey Captain7. Looks great! how long have you been designing scenery for?

Are you using DXT5 textures on the fence with an alpha? From my experience this gives a white "edge" to the textures, and when zoomed out, especially at night, makes the fence look lit up. I changed mine to DXT3, which solved this.

Country
unitedstates
Hi Volker,

Man - that's some seriously fine model work... Looks better than my project - also FS9... I've put down photo scenery with SBuilder - but - it doesn't come out with resolution even close to what you have - I guess I need ground polys for that... Looks real good... How did you make the ground polys - are they just big planes - or - is each - runway - taxiway - etc modeled - as it's own object ?

Regards,
Scott

Country
germany
Hey Captain7. Looks great! how long have you been designing scenery for?

Hi Shaun,
Thx! It's my first scenery. But I'm very experienced with photoshop which helps a lot ;)

Are you using DXT5 textures on the fence with an alpha? From my experience this gives a white "edge" to the textures, and when zoomed out, especially at night, makes the fence look lit up. I changed mine to DXT3, which solved this.

Yes the fence is an alpha texture. In the screenshots above is was a DXT3 bmp. And I changed them to DXT1 now and it looks better now!

Hi Volker,

Man - that's some seriously fine model work... Looks better than my project - also FS9... I've put down photo scenery with SBuilder - but - it doesn't come out with resolution even close to what you have - I guess I need ground polys for that... Looks real good... How did you make the ground polys - are they just big planes - or - is each - runway - taxiway - etc modeled - as it's own object ?

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott,
Thx! The underlaying photopoly does also contain taxiways and the runway, but without any details like markings etc. It contains just the base colors and rough ground structure.
Above that layer I added a couple of semitransparent textures layers (each as individual 3D objects) which contain the asphalt structure, dirt marks, runway markings or the tire rubber. These have a much higher resolution than the groundimage and give the crisp details. Most of them are used as infinite/continously textures (don't know the correct word?!).

Cheers Volker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
germany
Since I havn't read the tutorials about adding light effects to objects yet, I tried to model taxiway lights without effects, just textures. Looks not bad I think, even from higher above you can see the bright pixels. Maybe I'll leave it like this? What do you think?

teaserlights.jpg

Cheers Volker

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
It looks good for taxi lights. For runway lights you'd have to use effects or SCASM lights though because they wont be very visible.

Country
poland
Volker,

This scenery looks awesome!
Taking into consideration it is you first ever, you seem very talented.
Additionally thanks for supporting our beloved FS9.
I hope it won't be you last work.

I wish you all the best in 2013 and can't wait to fly to Heringsdorf.

Take care,
Rafal

Country
unitedkingdom
Your ground polygons look very good. May I ask what you used to make them and what layers you have?

Is there a noise layer from the photoscenery on the top?

I'm struggling with my ground polys....:(

Country
australia
Those lights look very nice.

I also am a firm believer in using smart texturing as much as possible. These fancy light beam splash effect things you see around rarely end up looking that good.

=

Country
germany
Thank you Rafal and flyhalf for feedback!

@Shaun: Most of the groundtextures are composed of (free) textures from this source http://www.cgtextures.com/index.php and as you assumed there is a "noise" layer on top of the grass areas of the groundpoly. If you like to you can use the file attached.

Ciao Volker

Attachments

• edah_grass-structure.png
    edah_grass-structure.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 832
Last edited:
Country
germany
...first attemps with night lightning of ground & buildings.

edahnight.jpg

...and one of the many near-derelicted hangars on the airport area (which makes this airport really interesting)

edahhangar.jpg

Cheers Volker

Country
netherlands
Wow, Volker, if this is a first, training project, I can hardly imagine what a proper project from you would look like!

Country
germany
...added some airport antenna buildings, added one more of the old hangars and polished of many existing parts of the model.
I'm really astonished that there is only a low framerate drop compared to the default airport. It's about 69 vs. 76 FPS in top down view on the airport area with my 3 year old system (Acer Aspire, i7 2,8, ATI 5850). Considering that I planted many many trees to get the real look, there's much room for more polys :)

edahteaserjan01.jpg

edahteaserjan03.jpg

edahteaserjan02.jpg

edahteaserjan04.jpg

edahteaserjan05.jpg

Cheers Volker