• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

editable mesh/patch/poly

Hi,

This is probably a very stupid question, but I don't really know the differences between an editable mesh, editable patch and an editable poly. Can someone explain briefly what the differences are and when to use which one.

Thank you

Jorrit

jorritvandommelen said:
Hi,

This is probably a very stupid question, but I don't really know the differences between an editable mesh, editable patch and an editable poly. Can someone explain briefly what the differences are and when to use which one.

Thank you

Jorrit

An editable mesh is a type of deformable object in gmax. An editable mesh is a trimesh; that is, it uses triangular polygons. Editable meshes are useful for creating simple, low-polygonal objects or control meshes for MeshSmooth modeling. You can convert a patch surface to an editable mesh. Editable meshes require little memory, and are a natural method of modeling with polygonal objects.

An editable poly is a type of deformable object in gmax. An editable poly is a polygonal mesh; that is, unlike an editable mesh, it uses polygons of more than three sides. Editable polys are useful in that they avoid invisible edges. For example, if you use a cut-and-slice operation with editable polys, the program doesn't insert extra vertices along any invisible edge. You can convert editable meshes, splines, primitives, and patch surfaces to editable polys.

A patch is a type of deformable object. A patch object is useful for creating gently curved surfaces, and provides very detailed control for manipulating complex geometry.

When you apply an Edit Patch modifier to an object or convert it to an editable patch object, the software converts the object's geometry into a collection of separate Bezier patches. Each patch is made up of three or four vertices connected by edges, defining a surface. Patches also have interior vertices that you can control, or let the software control for you.

You control a patch surface's shape by manipulating the vertices and edges. The surface is the renderable geometry of the object.

just to add a note

First, this is not a stupid question. Nothing in the tutorials makes this very clear. I struggled with it for quite a bit.

One thing I've learned is that working with editable poly has some strong capability not present in edit mesh. The ability to cut a new edge into an object appears to be present in edit mesh, but its flaky. With edit poly, you can divide an edge, and then connect the new vertices with a created edge, and it works every time. Also, I like the "border" subobject in edit poly, with that you select an "open" edge, like the end of an object that is missing a cap, and you can produce the cap...works reliably.

Cheers,

Bob B

Hi

First of all I like to thank you all for the quick responses.
It is still hard to understand it, but I think that I seem to get the basic idea. I will read it again and I'm going to try something with those things. I mostly modell complex objects, so if I understand well, it is better for me to use the editable poly in most cases, right?

Thanks again. :)

Jorrit