• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Editing or creating Seasons BGL file for a certain area of the globe?

Leo2789

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
Hello,

I have an addon scenery for the area of a whole country (Portugal) that came with its own 'local' seasons bgl file, mainly to add snow to the highest mountains in winter, which was lacking per the default seasons.bgl from FS2004.
Despite this, I'm still not entirely satisfied with the snow distribution in winter and would like to add a few more patches. Now the problem is that I can't find any clear information about this anywhere, I checked tons of forums, read the Terrain SDK and nothing has helped!
What I would like to know is the following:
- Can season BGLs be decompiled and if so how? (because it would be much easier to just edit the one I have than make a whole new one for the whole country!)
- How exactly do you edit/create a seasons file? Ive read about making INF files and such but it all seems too techy and complicated to me :( I read that seasons are treated in a way somewhat like landclass by the sim, so is there a tool like SBuilder or EZLandclass where you can just easily map various tiles with the season you want?
Also I am aware of the 12 seasons (1 per month) stuff and that the LOD of seasons is much lower than that for LandClass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

There is an experimental tool that can decompile some resample made bgl files.

But I think in general it's easier to make your own. You need to make a bitmap for each season and an inf file that combines all. Then resample can make a season bgl for you.

Leo2789

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
Hi @arno !

First of all let me give you a BIG thank you for all the tools you have developed over the years for FS scenery design!

I see, would you know where I could get that tool?
Also i have no idea how to make bitmaps, and the inf file making is still a confusing matter to me, I have to read the SDK again and thoroughly!
This is to use the default seasons by the way, theres no intention of doing photoreal seasons and such! (in case you understood it as such)

Thanks!

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
If only I could remember the name :D

I can upload a sample inf file if that helps.

Country
unitedstates
Can season BGLs be decompiled and if so how? (because it would be much easier to just edit the one I have than make a whole new one for the whole country!)

There's no need to decompile and modify the default seasons.bgl, you can make a small seasons adjustment just for the area you're interested in. Further if it's only the month of March you want to change it's possible to make a seasons adjustment that only affects the month of March.

Here's the thread that turned the lights on for me:

Leo2789

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
There's no need to decompile and modify the default seasons.bgl, you can make a small seasons adjustment just for the area you're interested in. Further if it's only the month of March you want to change it's possible to make a seasons adjustment that only affects the month of March.

Here's the thread that turned the lights on for me:

Thank you @JRobinson ! I'll read up on that thread and see if it can help me out! The method using EZLandclass sounds promising!

Country
unitedstates
TBH I didn't catch the FS9 tag so I'm not sure if:
you can make a small seasons adjustment just for the area you're interested in. Further if it's only the month of March you want to change it's possible to make a seasons adjustment that only affects the month of March
...is actually true for FS9. I know it is for FSX & beyond, I've done it.

At any rate here's another thread where Holger explains it for FS9 and provides an example he did for Alaska: