• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Effect and MCX question

Country
unitedstates
I know how to attach an effect to a static model but can you attach an effect to an animated model and have it move with the model? Thanks in advance for the help.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

It can be done, but not very easy. You have to manually tweak the X file so that the attachpoint is inserted at the right location in the scene graph. There are some threads describing this.

Country
unitedstates
I have an airport beacon that I made and it rotates. I want to attach a green light effect to the green lens side of the beacon and a white light effect to the white lens side of the beacon and have the effects move with the beacon. I have the effects created but when I try to attach them now they don't move with the beacon.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Attachpoints made in MCX are always attached to the root node of the scene. So therefore they are not moving, then the attach point needs to be placed under the animated node. Like I wrote before this can't be done in MCX yet, it's on the wishlist. You would manually have to edit the X file.

Country
unitedstates
Thanks. I will give the manual edit a try and look forward to the upcoming feature. :)

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I just Googled a bit for it and it seems a drag and drop of nodes in the hierarchy editor should not be too hard to implement, so I'll try to give it a try soon. Just not now, since it is time to go to bed and get some sleep now.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Did you check the linked thread above?
THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL AND ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Unless it's already common knowledge, here's a short how-to on how to add an effect to a specific part in a hierarchy. This is especially useful for adding lights to flexing wings or moving parts.

I've successfully managed to attach a nav and strobe light to each flexing wingtip of an aircraft with this procedure, using nothing else but Notepad2 and MCX.

You really need to be comfortable with editing very large text files, finding stuff in MCX' hierarchy editor and, of course, adding effects in the attached object editor. A text editor with syntax highlighting, especially for bracket pairs is almost mandatory.

Well, here it goes...

Country
unitedstates
I did check that out. Hopefully today I will have some time to experiment with this and see what I can do.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have also started implementing the new MCX functionality to move nodes in the hierarchy.

Country
us-texas
I have also started implementing the new MCX functionality to move nodes in the hierarchy.

I can imagine the possibilities of making retractable landing lights with the new dynamic lightning effect!!!!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I have just finished the node moving in the hierarchy editor, so it will be in the next development release.

I'll try to make a quick video demonstrating the feature as well.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

You can drag the attach points to any node you want and that will become the parent node. What do you mean with further down?

Country
canada
I can only move them within the first 16 nodes that are displayed. I can't move an attached point to a node further down the list that I have to scroll to.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Ah, now I understand. I guess I'll have to let the list scroll when you reach the bottom.

Another option would be to add a cut and paste shortcut.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I move them one page at a time. Drag it as far as you can, then let go. Then scroll. Then drag again. A pain, but I don't know of another way. Copy and paste might be an option, or let the list scroll when you drag the object below the bottom.