Effect Attachment Problem

Yes, and the BMP should have an alpha channel. The alpha consists of different values of grey. The darker the grey, the more transparent is the material.

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Yes, thanks, I work a lot with alphas, but I thought, for a small taxilight it wouldn't be necessary to create a bmp, cause it looks pretty realistic juts coulored with material-colors in GMax. But I think you're right. If I want effects and transparency, it's the best way to use an alpha-bmp. :)

What miffs :mad: me about the transparency with effects bug is that the effects don't even need to be applied to the transparent object - just near it. For instance, I have a control tower where I've placed transparent windows via GMax then placed on the roof OBS lights with the effects setup for them. The attached objects are on the roof ~5' from the nearest window - yet it will cause the entire window object to get displaced 90° around a center point at a distance away from the window object itself. In my case placing the window object on it's side half buried in the ground next to the tower. :yikes: Alpha's can't have hues to them can they? Say .... slightly tinted green ?

Horst18519

Staff member
Resource contributor
Just place the fx seperately with objectplacerXML. That will work fine without interfering with other objects. ;)

Hi,
you have to draw an element (box, sphere, etc) and assign the effect to this.
IE You want to build a chimney with smoke, so you can draw a cilinder (the chimney) and a box on the top. Then you assign the effect for smoke to the box.
You can read the document in FS2004 Gamepack for more information.

Greets
Alessandro
I have a .bgl file with a chimney and a bgl. file for the placement (it's beeing placed serveral times.). I made the Chimney by myself and have got the .mdl an gmax file. My question is, how can I add that fx_ChimneySmoke.fx to my chimney.bgl? Is there somewhere a step by step guide. I'm not using fs2004, I'm using FSX and I already located the ChimneySmoke.fx effect.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Since you say you placed it multiple times, I think it is easier to add the effect to the MDL. So in GMax you need to make a (small) box at the location where you want the effect. Then you run the attachtool script on that box and select the effect file you want. Then export the MDL again as normal and update your library. That should be it.