• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Engine Start?

Country
unitedstates
Some of the airplanes I have require engine starting (ctrl-e) and others are running when the simulator starts.

Where is the variable that controls how the engine is started?

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa.

Generally it depends on what condition the sim was in when the aircraft was loaded (i.e. was the engine running in the previous aircraft when you hit Load Aircraft) or whether the engine was running when the flight was saved if you select Load Flight.

That is assuming that there is no special code in the aircraft itself to shutdown the engine when it loads to force the user to perform a full start-up procedure every time.

Si

I have tried shutting the engine down then restarting the sim and saving the flight with the engine shut down.

Neither seem to work.

Where would the code be to start with the engines shut down?

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

I have tried shutting the engine down then restarting the sim and saving the flight with the engine shut down.

Neither seem to work.

Where would the code be to start with the engines shut down?

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

Just start with fuel flowr off if possible

I mean code it to fuel flow off. I've thought of this technique b4. Idk if it's possible or works.

If it's a third-party aircraft then you might be out of luck. The programmer could have put code inside a C gauge to open the fuel flow and start the engine when the aircraft loads. If they've done a similar thing in a XML gauge then you might be able to find it if you extract all the gauges from the cab file. (Bear in mind that most people wont appreciate their work being reverse engineered and if you break anything, they're not likely to be sympathetic though.)

I know for a fact there is weird behaviour in helicopters, and there may be similar behaviour in fixed wings, you've not said what kind of aircraft you're talking about, but:

If a helicopter (based on the legacy 206 (engine type 3) implementation) is loaded in mid-air, the sim automatically starts the engine. This can occur even if the aircraft is loaded on the ground, but the location have 3rd party scenery that changes the ground elevation level (down by as little as a few inches) from the the default. This seems to be because the aircraft is loaded at the default scenery elevation, and when the lower 3rd party scenery loads a little lower, and the elevation map is replaced, the aircraft is now off the ground, so when the loading finishes and the sim starts, the helicopter drops a few inches (sometimes not even noticeable) but the engine starts and continues to run.

I don't know whether this is relevant to you, but it goes to illustrate just how awkward some problems in FS are!

Si

Thanks,

You have answered the question!

It's the altitude change causing the problem.

I am working on aircraft carriers where the altitude change in the scenery is used to set the runway to the deck level.

So this is a problem that cannot be solved.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

Back