• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Error 6 from gdalwarp

Country
us-florida
I downloaded aerial images from National Map to use as photo scenery. Tried using gdalwarp to convert images to wgs84 projection. Data provided was NAD 83 / UTM zone 16. Spatial Reference.org returns this as EPSG:26916(changed from 16916 to 26916). I get "ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 26916 not found in EPSG support files." when I tried to convert the first image. Does anyone know what causes this?

Ed

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Is GDAL installed correctly? It could be the epsg data file is missing.

If the images you downloaded are geotiff files you usually don't have to tell which projection they now have. You can just tell to which projection you want to convert.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
EPSG:16916
or
ERROR 6: EPSG PCS/GCS code 26916 not found in EPSG support files

Country
us-florida
Arno,
GDAL is probably not installed correctly. This is my first attempt to use it and I really have no idea what the correct installation procedure is. I have already copied all of the dlls into the apps folder as a shortcut to fix the missing *.ddl error messages I got on the first few attempts. Also copied gcs.csv to the same folder. Now I get the error 6 message. Any advice you can give on using gdal would be appreciated.

Rhumabaflappy,

My error. The correct value is 26916. See image below.

Ed
26916.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Copying around DLL files to make things work is never a good idea. GDAL is a bit tricky, since it has a data folder with needed datafiles as well. If it can't find that folder you might have trouble.

I would advice you to use the OSGeo4W installer to install GDAL. Then use the OSGeo4W shell. It has all the environment variables set correctly.

Country
us-florida
Thanks for your help Arno. I got gdal installed and successfully converted my test image.

Ed

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Glad to hear you got it working now!

Country
us-florida
One more question. Does anyone know what image format is best for photo scenery? Any advantage to using one format over the other between bmp, tga, or tif? Thanks.

Ed

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I prefer to work with GeoTiFF because that makes the inf file much simpler. You don't need to provide so much coordinates and other numbers. But besides that any format that doesn't compress your photo and loses information would be fine.

Country
us-florida
Thanks Arno. As was stated on another thread here in the past the USGS no longer distributes aerial imagery in GeoTiFF format in order to speed up the download time and improve their service. Since I have to convert from their Jpeg2000 format I just thought I would see if one of the formats was considered to be better. By the way gdal converts the projection type and the image format in one pass. Nice.

Ed