• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Errors when using Mass Texture Converter

Country
switzerland
Hello together

My name is Sascha, i'm 16 and live in Switzerland, next to Zurich.

I'm currently modelling a hospital near my city. Unfortenatly i'm having some problem when using the Model Converter X.
I designed the model with Sketchup and converted it to a COLLADA-File. Importing the file into the Converter works without any problems, altough it takes a while.

But if i then would like to convert the textures to DXTBMP with the Mass Texture Converter (which is very useful btw) i often get errors.

Sometimes its a .NET Framework error which tells me there an error in GDI+, sometimes i get an other error when using the Material Editor, where it tells me something is wrong with the memory.

Another error i get is System.Out.of.Memory, if i go and take look at the process in the TaskManager, its about 1.2GB big. I'm using Windows7 on a 32bit system with 4GB RAM. Is this to less or is my file just to big? The COLLADA-File is about 4.7MB big and there are a bit more than a hundred textures in it. Too much? :)

Here are the errors i get: (I'm using the latest developer release from 13.04.2010)
20903935.png

Details: http://zrhvideo.ch/vatsim/1.txt

12499444.png

Details: http://zrhvideo.ch/vatsim/2.txt

Any help is appreciated :eek:

Thanks and greetings from Swiss,
Sascha

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Sascha,

That seems to be quite a big COLLADA file you have there, but I have run tests with models with over 100 textures before. They will run a bit slower and use more memory, but it should work.

Thanks for the details on the error, I will use this information to take a look at the code and see if I can find any issues over there. Would it also be possible to send me your model for debugging, then I can try to reproduce your problems here.

Country
switzerland
Hi Arno

I've attached my collada file.
I hope you don't find too many errors in it. :eek:

Sascha

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

In the model I don't see any issues, but that is no real surprise. Your errors are related with the textures (when converting them) and that is something I can't test without having the textures as well.

If possible, can you email me a KMZ that also includes the textures? You can send it to arno _AT_ fsdeveloper _DOT_ com.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Wow, that is a big KMZ file :).

I was able to import it correctly, use the mass texture editor to resize the textures and use the drawcall minimizer. But the whole process was quite slow and uses a lot of memory.

Like I said I have converted models with over a hundred of textures before, but it seems your model has quite huge textures (up to 3000 pixels in size). I guess that is the bottleneck. ModelConverterX uncompresses these JPG textures when editing them.

Since I can't reproduce the errors here, it seems like it might be that on your machine you are just hitting some memory limit or so. As long as I can not reproduce the bug, it is hard for me to fix it. Would it be possible to use slightly smaller textures for you?

Country
switzerland
Hi Arno

You just saved my day. :)

I took pictures for the complete sides of the building, these are the very big one's, up to 3000px. I now divided them into smaller textures, so now i've got more textures than before, but smaller ones.

And see, now i had absolutely no problems with converting the textures. Minimizing drawcalls worked fine as well.

Really seems like that the big textures i used before were the problem.

Thanks for you help. ;)