-Everything you know about upcoming Flight Sim from Microsoft-

The video shows that 3rd party developers will be needed for this sim to actually flourish. The airports will need a LOT of work for them to be at current (xplane-p3d) payware standards, even the ones they did.

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
The video shows that 3rd party developers will be needed for this sim to actually flourish. The airports will need a LOT of work for them to be at current (xplane-p3d) payware standards, even the ones they did.
And that is their focus right.... make an excellent sim, with a great API. If you build it, they will come :)

0_Pg-ncZq8VPLhS7wk.gif

Seems this new sim comes with a lot of baggage :p

baggage.png

And food service catering trucks - a whole new third party eco system - baggage and food. Wonder if the bags fall off the conveyor and the contents spill onto the apron?

Alice Springs as a focus airport. No way ORBX is not involved.
As a scenery developer, I see some great stuff, but some major disappointments as well... PBR without Depth Maps.,

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Seems this new sim comes with a lot of baggage ... And food service catering trucks - a whole new third party eco system - baggage and food. Wonder if the bags fall off the conveyor and the contents spill onto the apron?
Aha! Perhaps we might recreate that old BA slogan from the 80s? Breakfast in London, lunch in New York. (baggage in Bermuda... :laughing:)

Heretic

Resource contributor
Heh, they're using the Imgui UI library for their airport animation script editor.

And there now is an official ADE/WED. Neat.

You might want to clean your glasses.

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
I just watched episode 6 again and to say I am amazed would be an understatement....

I remember the many hours @arno and I spent working on animating a windsock.... And him coding the tool for the community to do it...

I remember literally flying half way around the world to beat down the door of @Torgo3000 (Adrian Woods) and bribing Hal with whisky to get them to release a video on how to create an animated gate. @arno again writing a tool to allow us to make those things link up to aircraft.

I remember begging the ACES team to release tools and seeing them work on placement systems and start working on animated people and the like, that never made it to the next version (back then).

I remember having to spend hours and hours to make effects work as runway lights and link them to GMAX objects... Writing Microsoft support articles on too many effects breaking things.... and now you can do all that with what looks like an inbuilt tool?

To see it now. To see these amazing things, but this time be able to share the magic of it all with my kids whom didn't even exist then is.... Just wonderful.

You kids don't know how lucky you have it

Wait... I think I have something in my eye...

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
I got a bit of info from a nameless source. TL:DR the thread, so apologies if this is already known. No more 2D panels - VC only. The SDK is nowhere near ready (the documentation consists of two lines ATM - I saw it). Third-party simobjects need to talk to FS2020 via SimConnect. The version of SimConnect in use is FSX Acceleration; again, I saw the list of available variables.

Vitus

Resource contributor
When talking about aircraft, a while ago, the devs stated that they change the way 2d panels are implemented, mainly by switching to a html-based language, if I remember correctly. So it's not that there won't be any 2d interfaces any more, it's just that they need to be re-modeled from ground up - which is a net positive in my books, because the 2d interface of fsx SUUUUUUCKS! :tongue-ti

Heretic

Resource contributor
Good riddance. 2D panels are so 1990s.

I just watched episode 6 again and to say I am amazed would be an understatement....

I remember the many hours @arno and I spent working on animating a windsock.... And him coding the tool for the community to do it...

I remember literally flying half way around the world to beat down the door of @Torgo3000 (Adrian Woods) and bribing Hal with whisky to get them to release a video on how to create an animated gate. @arno again writing a tool to allow us to make those things link up to aircraft.

I remember begging the ACES team to release tools and seeing them work on placement systems and start working on animated people and the like, that never made it to the next version (back then).

I remember having to spend hours and hours to make effects work as runway lights and link them to GMAX objects... Writing Microsoft support articles on too many effects breaking things.... and now you can do all that with what looks like an inbuilt tool?

To see it now. To see these amazing things, but this time be able to share the magic of it all with my kids whom didn't even exist then is.... Just wonderful.

You kids don't know how lucky you have it

Wait... I think I have something in my eye...
Thank you for your service.

(As you'd say on nowadays' internet.)

Vitus

Resource contributor
I think Bjoern is referring to how outdated the underlying technology is. There's lots of uses for 2d user interfaces. But the way they're integrated in fsx/p3d is just terribly outdated and greatly limits our ability as developers to create modern interfaces. Just take the limitations on color space, or the lack of proper alpha-transparency. On top of that we have to deal with a horrible markup language that was never state-of-the-art to begin with. I'm really hoping that MS will leave all this outdated garbage behind so we can finally develop modern software with modern workflows, modern languages and modern limitations. :twocents:

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
I'm really hoping that MS will leave all this outdated garbage behind so we can finally develop modern software with modern workflows, modern languages and modern limitations. :twocents:
See comment re: SimConnect. Unless they provide an XML-to-SimConnect interface, it implies that only computer language programmers are going to be able to build third-party objects. As the FSXA SimConnect SDK was C/C++ only, that limits it even further. If that is so, there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't drop in the Lockheed-Martin SimConnect libs and gain access to the C# and vb.Net languages.

In truth though, I believe that the SDK will turn out to be far more expansive than the FSXA one is. To say that the version I saw was 'very unfinished' would be somewhat of an understatement.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Hmm. I'd like to see an easily-usable paper-based checklist created in a VC.
Easy: Each page is a textured 3D object. ;)

See Vitus' post for what I meant.
I'm in favor of making Lua the de facto standard scripting language for flight sims. Low execution time, multiplatform and a syntax close to C, but without all the BS.