• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS -Everything you know about upcoming Flight Sim from Microsoft-

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Its interesting reading the comments and statements here. MS are doing a great job drip/feeding in to the public domain. After all that is what they do with all their XBOX releases since day one. marketing are probably rubbing their hands as we type at the speculation!

The issues of on line, offline subscription are already I suspect agreed. The Vid makes a very commonsense statement - funding. With with scenery changing daily and airports upgrading, down grading being building sites and plans for many to include differing equipment, licences to land aircraft plus the next generation technology then I suspect that Ms have watched the lack of demise of their flight sim with interest. Add to this the current investment by so many system owners in AI then it just makes the who story more interesting.

Will it be standalone - I think yes to a basic level of scenery, equipment etc (just enough to make it a "can I have XYZ please" at Xmas and birthdays etc (all other religious and celebrated holidays and days included). Will it be on line YEP! as we see now more and more have a base engine and the rest is online stream. MS know that fibre is in the progression stages across the planet - One only has to peep at those using XBOX and many of the games there to know they are doing it right now.

Subscription - pretty well can say personally YEP, they will need to continually fund the environment with changes we all see in real world. I>E look at EGLL and its potential 3rd Runway, the building work required to do that and not just the runways but associated terminals etc - GATWAY 2030 in Aruba (TNCA) Wow what a difference that going to pull .

Will it be called a game or simulator ? Look at many of the latest shoot em ups published by MS for XBOX - graphics that are practically cinema quality, Ai that learns and can move the environment around so the "player" cannot replicate and know where the enemy is about to jump out.
Plus consider this - ATC. With the amount of people that dont fly (I think we forget these) but join the likes of vatsim and Ivao (other online systems are available) the ATC levels will be an opportunity for people to work on a grander scale online and interact in real life(ish) situations) . as to calling it a game or sim - will it matter because Sim can put some off as they dont mentally dont see it gaminsh and simmer s the opposite

AI and its use - WOW look out future. Anyone who has used an online receiver for real world atc and has tuned to the likes of JFK, Heathrow etc knows the volume of equipment above our heads at anyone time. An AI system taking that available date could add to the reality mega fold.

Cost V users - based on a million simmers across the globe who either fly or control then stick a 300$ tag on there and 300 million potential income, and thats before the gamer get at it.

Its a real interesting watch a present because by just chatting about it here we are doing what MS marketing wants - driven curiosity followed by demand

Will they launch globally - no doubt! will they be issues like each Xmas of registering or subscribing ABSOLUTELY as teh servers struggle with new customers

Its a really interesting one Dr Watson and one we will have to wait and see

Country
canada
************* Speculation .... for the popcorn enthusiast

Just read the fine print in the Game Pass site.

I believe there is a difference between Off-line, On-Line and Subscription. MS has already hinted that there will no subscription, but ...
In order to play multiplayer - you may need to have an active game pass account. What about what they call co-operative networking.
Would MS introduce a VATSIM like feature in the new sim - that would keep a lot of people on game pass? What about real time weather?
Let alone the minor bug fixes and updates etc.

You should be able to download a digital copy and play Off-Line.

Games will not be deleted from your hard drive until you delete them, even if they have been removed from the Xbox Game Pass library. However, once a game leaves the Xbox Game Pass library, you will need to purchase a digital copy from the Xbox app or the Microsoft Store, insert a disc, or obtain another form of entitlement to continue playing the game.

How Does off-line work?
Most games available in the Xbox Game Pass PC Games plan on your Windows 10 device support offline play but check the details of the game to make sure yours is supported. Games from the Xbox Game Pass library can be played while the PC is offline, but for no more than 30 days before the PC must reconnect to the internet to verify an active subscription. Most games with a campaign mode will be playable offline, but games with network co-op or multiplayer features will not work while you’re offline. While playing offline, some features, such as the ability to purchase additional items, will not be available.

System requirements from the site.
OS Windows 10 (v. 1903 or higher required for many games)
Processor Intel Core i5-8300H; AMD Ryzen 5 3550H
GPU NVIDIA GTX 1050; AMD Radeon RX 560
Memory 8GB RAM, 3GB VRAM
Storage 150GB
DirectX® DirectX 12 API
Monitor 1080p

System requirements vary by game; performance scales with higher-end systems.
Not supported on Windows 10 in S mode.

150 GB??? maybe for ALL the games. That's a strange requirement. I don't have a disk with 150 GB left on it. But I was able to load the game pass app. MS needs to be more specific on this "requirement"
Windows 10 - but even a specific version. I tried loading the game pass app and HAD to upgrade to ver. 1903 before it would even install.

What countries will it be available:
The Xbox Game Pass PC Games plan is currently available in the following markets:

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czech Rep, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, *Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, UK, US
*(purchase at your local retailer)

Purchased at your local retailer?? - Hmm, a bunch of DVDs?

Game Pass for the PC is also in beta so things can change.

***************** End Speculation

Game Pass Site here

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
Oh man... I use Windows 7 Ultimate.

this is grim... :( I love Win7.

no no no no no....

I do not mind buying a HD for the sim. Done. I do not mind getting a better GC. I need one. Will have to look for a deal. Times are tough. But windows 10? arghhhhh....

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Country
northernireland
Bill; if you hate the interface (I do...) then take a look at Stardock's 'Start10'. It gives you back a Windows 7-style start menu. Since I was forced by hardware failure to upgrade to Windows 10 some two years back, I've found it to be as stable as Windows 7. Mind you, I don't run any updates until I've done a tech-search to see if there's any known/possible problems. That caution has served me well and I've not had a crash... yet. There's also OOSU10 which kills off ALL telemetry, so no spying by M$.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
TBH Bill - Ive come from win 7 > 8.0 > 8.1 and now in 10. Its ok. I use a stardock for my HD storage and some application run from it really well so I dont load the SSD in the main unit for much other than absolute essential stuff. That keeps the load times down to a minimum. With MS looking at setting out the new sim/game call it what you will they are already loading many gamer features in to updates. The negative here is currently there is a way of stopping updates but ts a real pain in the APU. But Ive found 10 better with the newer solid state drives plus they are much faster on transfer rates as well. So a mix of new rig and W10 seems ok. I suspect that many xp, 7 and 8 win systems will in the next few months almost disappear with software that can run on them being so limited that t will be difficult to find things that actually will still work. there is of course the chance that the likes of a Linyx may cope with emulation but that is a BIG if.

What dragon I think refers to is - https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

In 10 there is a noticeable amount of Xbox functions that appear to be coming, its almost like a cross over, plus they have posted big changes to Graphic card use for the VR Googles.

The other issue id of course one that has not yet been broached to my knowledge here - Internet speeds. With Online functions and downloads you really will need unlimited. Ive seen an XBOX gamer set their rig to down load one of the War series and it was 16 gig plus and took ALL night at 17m d/l. and when that was trundling on nothing ease in the house had a look in - some users are looking at the newer rigs, and bumping up to fibre with 50 and 70 m down loads and 5 to 9 uploads. Its all money no matter where you turn - just a good shopping day to get the best deals that are reasonably future proofed

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Bill.

You could purchase a 2 TB harddrive, and use a dual boot function... keep Windows 7 on one and add Windows 10 on the new.

Or you could go all in, mortgage the farm, buy a new system, and go Windows 10 in style.

I upgraded to Windows 10 when it came out, and have had no serious issues. I update it automatically. I think most users don't have issues with it.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I fully expect a number of “You can have my Windows 7 (or XP or even 8.1o_O) when you tear it from my cold dead hands! :mad:“ posts before long. Oddly, Vista didn’t generate such loyalty - can’t imagine why.

10 just works, I find. Yeah, I’m on an unlimited fibre connection too.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Windows 10 is great. It runs on 12 year old hardware just as well as on up to date one.

Country
argentina
Windows 7, 8 and now 10 worked fine for me... in fact this PC has been upgraded from Win 8 to 10 and worked fine since then.

Country
us-arizona
Interesting...

I have loaded it unto 2 laptops and it does nothing but stutter. Sometimes it crashes totally. All the updates. One came with W10. So it has the proper hardware.
Having hands on with it with two units is what kept me from going to W10 on my company rig.

oh well... All my sims are on this baby. That would be a massive move. Probably just get a new rig and run FS2020 on that and keep my regular rig for all the others. Then slowly migrate EVERYTHING over as time goes by.

sulks... :(

GHD

Country
england
Every time W10 updtes, I need to update all of my drivers :rolleyes:

I am sticking with XP for developing scenery.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Every time W10 updtes, I need to update all of my drivers :rolleyes:

Huh?
I mean yes, Windows does install drivers, but only in case of my laptop's touchpad, I have to manually roll back to a driver version that actually works.

gfxpilot

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
TBH the W10 driver issue hasnt been one for me on this rig. MS have said that older motherboards will struggle to work with it. I suffered that and is document here in. Many older work fine to version 1803, and Im told (MS) by them will be fine on xp,win 7/8 machines. I brought in a free to use app which for weeks updated my drivers and Ive found it OK. When v1903 came out MS screwed up and thats polite - its documented by them there were issues late 2018 but they seemed to have cleared it - again documented on this site. But I suppose we all may have to considered MS rational. They forced out XBOX because it was focused on the game market and the high demand graphics coming down its throat - if anyone has played on (note played) XB 3 and 4 youll see the game engine and graphics are well up there. People often forget PC's were supposed to be the generic tools and were not edging toward high graphic outputs. Thats why Apple scored well with its machines in the world of graphic design etc.

Win 10 brings down many cross over apps for xbox and I think (not sure) that its to start grabbing the games market more as PCs are not routinely upgraded in business these days so that area as a income is still dragging ts heals i.e. some UK based large agencies are still on XP and 7 despite no support from MS for them. With SSD improving and people using cloud so they are not loading HDs to the max I suspect we will all soon find that we will be forced to scrap our old, loved machines

Country
canada
Go Go Gooooooooooo! Tech Alpha is open.

Spin recovery video. Makes me feel just like real spin recovery practice. o_O

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
Windows 10, is a thing of beauty. I heard all these arguments before about Windows XP :)

Anyway, speaking of beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.