• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Exclude for FS X

Country
us-newjersey
We may have a bug here. At least we have a problem. The "Creating Scenery..." SDK says:

"Note that if excludeAllObjects is set to true all scenery objects will be excluded, whether specifically placed or created by Autogen."

I made an xml-file by hand and compiled it using the new compiler. It compiles fine, but the autogen trees are not excluded.

Remember the objects tied to VTP lines in FS9? You needed a VTP-exclusion. This may be something like that. So we have to test an exclusion made with with the tools of the "Terrain and Scenery" SDK.

Peter

Hello Peter.

I have had some experiance with adding scenery in the past 2 versions of FS (FS8 and FS9). Using my FS9 AFCAD file, I was able to actually install my custom airport in FSX. Amazingly enough, the textures are updated, and I have moving airport vehicles on my property! Pretty cool, how the FS9 file adapted to FSX, just like that! :D I bought FSX Deluxe, and downloaded the SDK last night. Trying to figure everything out, however, has been quite a challenge. :eek: I need to do several things here. 1. Flatten the area, 2. Exclude the trees. The rest of autogen is gone, but I don't understand how to create a VTP-Exclusion. 3. Flatten the terrain, as I have giant land formations popping up around my taxiways. Please help!! As I progress from here, I'll be sure to inquire about creating an airport boundary that is season sensitive, like the defaults, and, ultimately, ILS approaches that FS will recognize... a work in progress! Attached are my AFCAD file, and some screen shots of what has been going on. Thanks! Roman

Attachments

• AF2_KCIA.bgl
    48.6 KB · Views: 408
  • MicrosoftGCSterr 1.jpg
    MicrosoftGCSterr 1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 425
  • MicrosoftGCSterr 2.jpg
    MicrosoftGCSterr 2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 458
Country
denmark
Hi Roman,

You should take a look at this thread http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2979&page=6 and others in that forum.

The utility discussed there, FSX_KML, is free (get it from the Wiki-->manual page) and easy to use. You also need Google Earth and something to connect GE to FSX. I use FSEarth (payware) but a freeware utility was uploaded to AvSim a few days ago: Look for "yaget_fsx_v093.zip". I did not try that, though.

Google and FSX_KML together produce the shapefiles you need for "shp2vec" from the SDK. They are tagged by FSX_KML; the tag "Exclude__Everything" with a GUID of only zeros will exclude all default terrain elements within the bounding box. Others add the needed elements. When used correctly only one new file is produced (by default called cvx... but you may rename it to whatever you choose), the shp2vec-tool secures the correct layering.

The only thing to remember (as with all kinds of exclusions) is to place the new file in a folder with a higher priority than the default terrain folders.

Peter

Country
netherlands
Exclusion for FSX

Hi,

Thanks for all your attention.

I tried the Exclude again using ExcBuilder, not changing BGLcomp or anything else, and it works.

FSX only seems to be much more picky about the borders of the exclude rectangle............

Hi Fern,
Did you use ExcBuilder V2 together with FS Connect in FSX?
Thanks
Bert

Country
netherlands
Hi all,

As for the autogen tree the friend above could not remove: I successfully removed the autogen tree with an VTP2 polygon. If you don't want a "grass" vtp polygon on your airport, you can give the poly the same texture as the scenery around it and nobody will notice there is a polygon there :)

Kindly,

Blazer
I have designed scenery for FS2004 and it works weel in FSX too, only some autogen-buildings and trees are showing up even when the autogen-slider is on Parse...
I want to remove autogen-buildings and -trees using ExcBuilderV2 and the Bglcomp.exe
Until now i didn't succeed.
Please any help?

Country
us-newjersey
Hi Roman,

You should take a look at this thread http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2979&page=6 and others in that forum.

The utility discussed there, FSX_KML, is free (get it from the Wiki-->manual page) and easy to use. You also need Google Earth and something to connect GE to FSX. I use FSEarth (payware) but a freeware utility was uploaded to AvSim a few days ago: Look for "yaget_fsx_v093.zip". I did not try that, though.

Google and FSX_KML together produce the shapefiles you need for "shp2vec" from the SDK. They are tagged by FSX_KML; the tag "Exclude__Everything" with a GUID of only zeros will exclude all default terrain elements within the bounding box. Others add the needed elements. When used correctly only one new file is produced (by default called cvx... but you may rename it to whatever you choose), the shp2vec-tool secures the correct layering.

The only thing to remember (as with all kinds of exclusions) is to place the new file in a folder with a higher priority than the default terrain folders.

Peter

Ok Peter, I will try to do all that.. I have read numerous forums, but they discuss scenery design at a higher level. I basically understand that certain programs are needed to perform specific functions, but how to actually operate those programs is a different animal, especially since many of them are C Prompt driven. I will try my best. if no success, I will continue asking. Thanks for your patience. Roman

Country
us-newjersey
Hi Roman,

Peter

Success! I was able to use Google Earth Plus (had to subscribe to get the Polygon function working), and the FSX KML program. no more autogens, perfectly flat. Next item is the grassy, or default airport boundary, so my runways and taxiways are not lying on default scenery textures. Any clues on this? I have never been able to run SBuilder, due to a slew of Runtime errors, so I pretty much gave up on that program. Thanks again!

Country
germany
here is a picture of my problem...
This did not appear in FS9:mad:
Does somebody have an idea?

Attachments

• Hamburg_harbour.jpg
    Hamburg_harbour.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 400
Country
us-newjersey
here is a picture of my problem...
This did not appear in FS9:mad:
Does somebody have an idea?

OK, do you mean that you built that building and got trees out of the roof, or did you simply try to exclude the whole area and out your own building there? 'll take a stab at this, having figured it out only Thursday night myself. I used Google Earth, in conjunction with FSX_KML program. This enabled me to navigate to the exact place in the real world as I was in the game. I could not, however, get FS Connect to initialize, so I had to line everything up by hand... took abour 20 min. of resizing and repositioning, but I got it. Anyway, using the Goole Earth Plus (you need 'plus" to do this), I found my area, and drew a polygon in Google Earth. I was careful to set the altitude of the polygon in the advanced properties tab before I saved it. I saved it from Google Earth to FSX_KML as a KML file. (I had the choice of saving as KMX or KML) Then, in FSX_KML, I opened the new KML file, which I named "KXXX Exclude" Then, I added the following tag to the KML file:
Airport_Backgrounds_Flatten_ExcludeAutoGen
This will prohibit the trees from autogenerating, as well as flattening everything nicely. I hope this helps. I'm a real novice, but as I discover something, i love to share it with anyone else that can benefit. I learn better that way, too! Good luck, and please let me know how you make out! Attached are before and after photos... I not only had trees popping out of the aprons, but huge rock and terrain shapes popping out between my runways and taxiways. Roman

Attachments

• MicrosoftGCSterr 6.jpg
    MicrosoftGCSterr 6.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 401
  • MicrosoftGCSterr 3.jpg
    MicrosoftGCSterr 3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 421
Country
netherlands
OK, do you mean that you built that building and got trees out of the roof, or did you simply try to exclude the whole area and out your own building there?................................................................................. I saved it from Google Earth to FSX_KML as a KML file. (I had the choice of saving as KMX or KML) Then, in FSX_KML, I opened the new KML file, which I named "KXXX Exclude" Then, I added the following tag to the KML file:
Airport_Backgrounds_Flatten_ExcludeAutoGen......................
etc
Roman
hi Roman,
Can you please explain to me how you exactly you did this Then, I added the following tag to the KML file:
Airport_Backgrounds_Flatten_ExcludeAutoGen.
I have tried very hard but cannot get it tagged in FSX_KML.
Thanks in advance
Bert

Country
germany
Hi Roman,
no I did not create an exclude. You only see the Object placed. We have more than 9000 Objects placed and I do not want to write an exclude for every oobject:)

Country
us-newjersey
hi Roman,
Can you please explain to me how you exactly you did this Then, I added the following tag to the KML file:
Thanks in advance
Bert

Bert, here are photos of what I did to tag.

PLease let me know if you need more assistance. Roman

Country
us-newjersey
hi Roman,
Thanks in advance
Bert

The photos dod not come through last time. Roman

Attachments

• FSX KML 1.jpg
    FSX KML 1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 460
  • FSX KML 2.jpg
    FSX KML 2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 439
  • FSX KML 4.jpg
    FSX KML 4.jpg