• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Experience with unauthorised uploads of files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
unitedkingdom
I have just noticed the ADE Satellite tutorial I compiled last month (which I uploaded both here, and in a modified version to AVSIM and Flightsim.com) have been uploaded without my permission to both FS2000.org and Simviation.
I have also noticed an application I created years ago have been uploaded to Fly Away Simulation, again without my permission.

Has anyone had any experience in dealing with any of these sites? I am especially worried about my work being on the FS2000.org website as it insists on downloading a setup.exe file, and I do not wish to have my work associated with any sites I do not trust.

Country
us-california
This is very common with Fly Away Simulation. One of the many reasons I do not support them what so ever. Simviation, that's kind of surprising unless it was a random person (and not an administrator). I've no experience with FS2000.org, though. I'll never understand why some people think it's okay to upload other peoples' work without permission.

While writing this post, I did a search on Fly Away Simulation for my name. A number of the freeware projects that I've had my name in over the years are on their site, yet I uploaded not a single one. Sigh...

Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks Brandon.
I shall attempt to contact the sites to see if I can get them to remove the files. I don't hold high hopes for FS2000.org though.

Country
unitedkingdom
In my opinion it does. Especially when it is hosted on a website which insists on downloading files of a suspect character when you enter it, which is the case with one of the sites where my work has been uploaded. I do not want to have my name or my work associated with any such sites.
With the other two sites, it's less of a big deal, however I do not like other sites or people uploading/hosting my files in my name, and making money, regardless of it being directly or indirectly, on my work.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hope you get it sorted man. I would be annoyed too, especially because some charge for normal download rates.

I sent the admins of a few torrent websites which were distributing my work emails asking for them to be taken down. They were pretty taken off pretty much immediately. But I guess they have a system to deal with this stuff.

Country
us-colorado
I would not worry much with Simviation. I had a similar experience a few years ago involving a repaint I made. I sent them an email and it was taken down in less than a day.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I have contacted Fly Away Simulations in the past. They were very slow to respond but did eventually sort things out. I have no idea if it would help but a statement in the readme saying that this file cannot be uploaded to any site without your permission is worth having. I think Simviation might take notice.

Dutcheeseblend

Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Had the same kind of experience with my Fokker D.21. I released it on Simviation, Avsim, Sim-Outhouse and Flightsim.com. A few days after release, I did a search on my Fokker and found it on fsxaddons.com, and later on fs2000.org, and even later on rikoooo.com. The Dutchfs people uploaded the file with my personal permission.
As soon as I spotted my bird on fsxaddons.com, I contacted them via the contact form. I asked there not directly take the file down, but at least them to reply 'so that we can talk about it'. Never heard of them and the file is still there. I noted in my manual:

Disclaimer and copyright notice
Though created and assembled with the utmost care and precision, installing and usage of this package is at your own risk. The files and overall product are the intellectual property of developer Dutcheeseblend / A.H.T. (Daan) Kaasjager and may not be distributed without clear and direct permission from the developer himself.

Yet, people distribute it without my permission.
I don't know if I'd make problems of it. I still do a search now and then, but no other sites upload my stuff.

Anyway, it remains true that it isn't respectful to the authors rights.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Should you get complaining emails from users with difficulties, ask where they got the download from and point out that anywhere other than 'approved' sources is unsupported. You got it from ShonkyFSAddons? Ask them, I don't know where they got it from.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
Thanks, Simviation have already removed the file in question, even though they did not reply to my email.

Country
unitedkingdom
No, just expecting a confirmation to say it's been removed, as I asked them to email me when it had been removed.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
If someone downloads my stuff from sites that I didn't upload it to, I simply refuse to give support in case any problems arise. Simple as that.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Sometimes having control of your addon or tool is important if updates are made, or if you need to remove the item from circulation to avoid legal action. Unauthorized hosting can cause problems.

Dick

Country
unitedkingdom
It is not possible to prevent anything to be put on a website, however the copyright holder has every right to request it to be removed from said website.
Just because something is free, it doesn't mean that anyone can do whatever they like with it.

Flyaway have also removed the file which was uploaded to their site.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
ac-130-deploying-flaressv.jpg

Country
unitedkingdom
My next step is to contact the hosting company, which is what I intend to do with fs2000.org. Or I'll follow Tom's advice. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.