P3D v4 Export form Gmax to .mdl problem

Hello all.
Second question today... I've already seen SDK Installation wiki. Is there a way of succesfully exporting models from Gmax to .mdl and then putting them into P3D v4.5 using MCX without purchased FSX Gold/Acceleration? I have P3Dv4 SDK installed. I am using Gmax with fsx gamepack. When I try to export something Gmax says "failed to find fsx sdk installation path". I've looked it up on internet and realized, that I am probably gonna need FSX SDK. Is there a way to get FSX SDK?

Thanks,

Patrik P.

EDIT: I found a thread with a link to P3D 1.4 SDK. I heard that it can be used as FSX SDK. Will it work?

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Hello...

If FSX SDK is unavailable, you can only use the P3D SDK v1.4. Any of the later versions of P3D SDKs will not, that is do to compatibility.

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Unfortunately, the gamepack for GMax is not compatible to P3D SDK v1.4. It was written for the FSX SDK ONLY. I'm not sure if it is even possible to rewrite the gamepack to use with GMax.

The only alternative is to use Blender with the P3D SDK v1.4 for FSX along with the blender2fsxp3d toolset.

Unfortunately, the gamepack for GMax is not compatible to P3D SDK v1.4. It was written for the FSX SDK ONLY. I'm not sure if it is even possible to rewrite the gamepack to use with GMax.

The only alternative is to use Blender with the P3D SDK v1.4 for FSX along with the blender2fsxp3d toolset.
Thank you for your help!

Oh, I have to add the question:

How about using Gmax with the FSX SDK furtheron? On my old PC, I had installed FSX and used Gmax about years, also when I also installed P3Dv4. Everything I create with Gmax worked fine, just because I got the mdl exporting option.
Now with a fresh installation of Win10 on my new PC, I would like to use the FSX SDK as well.
So what about copying the FSX SDK in complete to my new PC and start Gmax from there? First steps run fine, except for a hint:
"gmax_FSModelExp.dle" failed to initialize. Ignoring that, Gmax opens fine, I could do all my configurations properly instead of the mdl exporting options.
So maybe this can be the solution to all who want to continue working with Gmax FSXGamesPack. Only step for success should be the right FSX SDK installation on the P3Dv4 PC. As written above, Gmax is going to run, but some minor configurations has to be adjusted....

Hello, Manfred,
i don't know french either, but the translation works with a translation program of your choice, quite well.

Thank you, Mike. Yap, got it - wow, will be a hard step to get it managed. Would be much easier to get success by using the FSX SDK to my opinion. But no solution in sight, I fear....

Hi Manfred,
to your problem with the error "gmax_FSModelExp.dle" you can find the solution under my link above.
Under the item "Comment utiliser Gmax dans Prepar3D 64bits et Windows 10" click on "Gmax_P3D4.1" (blue).
A PDF file will open there.
It explains how to configure GMax for P3D.
And also the error "gmax_FSModelExp.dle" is explained.

After configuring GMax for P3D GMax uses the P3D-SDK and its modeldef.xml to create models.

When exporting the created model to a MDL file GMax uses the "gmax_FSModelExp.dle"...
In this "gmax_FSModelExp.dle" the path to the modeldef.xml of the FSX-SDK is hard coded.

So you need the FSX-SDK for the export.
You can install it or create it fictitiously and enter it in the registry of Windows.

So you are on the right way to install the FSX-SDK.
All you have to do in the FSX-SDK is keep your modeldef.xml from your P3D up to date.

Configuring GMax for the P3D is not as bad as it seems at first sight.

Configuring GMax for the P3D is not as bad as it seems at first sight.
Waaah - of course it is (to me for sure...) :yikes: ;) .
Now in the meantime, I got it starting without any report. I would appreciate it very much if you could give me a little hint how to do the appropriate changes in the modeldef.xml - or do I have to place the modeldef.xml to some special area?
I have the FSX SDK still on my C: drive....

Simply copy the modeldef.xml from the P3D-SDK (Modeling/3ds Max/bin) to the FSX-SDK (Environment Kit/Modeling SDK/bin)
Or set a symlink.
So that both modeldef.xml are always identical.

Thank you.
Now it grows small step by step. Modeldef.xml is added, but still no other exporting option than "plasma (P3D)"....
Still exciting...

Hi,
I'm new here in the forum and this is my first post.
And I would like to share my experience with Gmax in conjunction with P3Dv4 under Win10 with you.

With me Gmax runs in connection with P3Dv4.5 under Win10 without problems.

How to get Gmax to run with P3Dv4 under Win10, there is a very good tutorial here (https://sites.google.com/site/patdebarrsimus/home/tutos).

Mike

See also:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://sites.google.com/site/patdebarrsimus/home/tutos&prev=search

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=de&u=https://sites.google.com/site/patdebarrsimus/home/tutos

NOTE: Most of Pat de Barr's links are to PDF files also written in French

After download, one may open these PDF files in ex: :idea:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Alternatively one may "preview" (not 'open') PDF files in Mozilla FireFox

Then one may select / copy desired sections of text, and paste into Google Translate:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=hidAXuPCKcmStAbW45OQAw&q=translate&oq=trans&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i131j0l9.1868.2897..7267...0.0..0.140.424.5j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..0i362i308i154i357.LLFOzJkmIgE

Translated results can then be pasted into ex: Windows NotePad / WordPad and saved to a file.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Hello GaryGB,
the problem of Manfred we have clarified by PN and is meanwhile already settled.
Thanks for the help to translate the text.

Hi Patrick:

Many thanks for sharing that translation with the FS Developer community. :)

PS: I saw this:

"ATTENTION: be very careful to scrupulously respect the syntax of the seizures that will follow ..."

Will I have to get a prescription for anti-seizure medication to reduce the risks of working with 3DSMAX / GMax ? :scratchch

< Just joking, of course ! > :laughing:

GaryGB