• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

exporter settings

Hi,

After applying the last patches, modelconverterX cannot automatically store the XtoMDL path anymore. I have to manually give in the path each time I start the program otherwise I get an error when exporting.
Either my path is too long (in the C:\program files\SDK\...) or a bug has crept in?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

It should still remember it. A little while ago I made a change that forces the users to provide the path once more, but after that it should be remembered as before. I do not have trouble over here with it.

It does not, Arno. I checked several times.
Fyi, I have v1.1.0.0. or so it says in the "about ..."
Not a big problem though.
By the way, sorry I missed the FSweekend. Happened to be in Belgium when I remembered, and then it was too late.
Have another question however, that might be of interest to others as well:
I have decompiled some FSX stock library objects, imported them in modelconverrterX, changed the dimensions and in some cases the textures as I want to use them in a scenery project (Ceuta) that is almost finished and that would be uploaded as freeware (of course). But am I infringing on some MS copyright doing so?

Rob

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

It does not, Arno. I checked several times.
Fyi, I have v1.1.0.0. or so it says in the "about ..."
Not a big problem though.

I would still like to understand why this is happening though. Maybe you can try to once delete the old settings file and see if things work afterwards? It should be located in your local settings in a folder called SceneryDesign.org. On my Windows 7 machine here it is:

C:\Users\arno\AppData\Local\SceneryDesign.org

I have decompiled some FSX stock library objects, imported them in modelconverrterX, changed the dimensions and in some cases the textures as I want to use them in a scenery project (Ceuta) that is almost finished and that would be uploaded as freeware (of course). But am I infringing on some MS copyright doing so?

Simple answer, yes. If you are not the author of the objects you are not allowed to edit and redistribute them.

I had two config files but even deleting both did not solve the problem.
I edited the config file and now the settings stick.

Thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
OK, I'll write it down on the issues list so that I know this happened. Will be difficult to trace now, but then at least I know if the problem occurs again.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I found it. The XtoMDL path was overwritten at startup if the ModelDef.xml path was not defined correctly. This has been fixed in the latest development release.