• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Failed initialization of Blender

Country
us-ohio
I did not reinstall SDK and I tried opening it as admin. Here is the screenshot for the python code because I could not find where Blender says it thinks the modeldefpath is (I tried reloading Blender to see if it would read the changes then but I don't think it did).
shot157.png
shot156.png

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
I went through the code trying to figure out what could cause the issue. I found one major problem: the manual detection of the SDK doesn't work. At all. So until I fix that, we need to rely on the auto-detection of the SDK. But your problem doesn't seem to stem from that anyway, since the SDK path seems to be picked up correctly.

One thing I read on the web was that it might be an encoding issue. When you open the modeldef.xml file with notepad, does it state UTF-8 on the bottom right? Also, is the header of the modeldef file correct? It should be:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

Country
us-ohio
I went through the code trying to figure out what could cause the issue. I found one major problem: the manual detection of the SDK doesn't work. At all. So until I fix that, we need to rely on the auto-detection of the SDK. But your problem doesn't seem to stem from that anyway, since the SDK path seems to be picked up correctly.

One thing I read on the web was that it might be an encoding issue. When you open the modeldef.xml file with notepad, does it state UTF-8 on the bottom right? Also, is the header of the modeldef file correct? It should be:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
I can confirm that the modeldef file has the xml and utf numbers correct.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Too bad, that would've been an easy fix. :)
Sorry, I'm out of ideas - for now. I'm working on a fix for the manual detect of the sdk though. maaaaaaybe it does something for you, but I'm skeptical.

Country
us-ohio
Too bad, that would've been an easy fix. :)
Sorry, I'm out of ideas - for now. I'm working on a fix for the manual detect of the sdk though. maaaaaaybe it does something for you, but I'm skeptical.
Roger, thanks for trying though :)

Country
malaysia
Hi @Jason z,

Could you please make a video (via your phone also worth it) and upload it on your google drive and share the link for us to watch your steps? I think that will simply save sometime rather asking so many questions here.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Jason,
Check out the new update, this time with a working manual initialization of the SDK. Maybe it solves your issue as well?

Country
us-ohio
Hi @Jason z,

Could you please make a video (via your phone also worth it) and upload it on your google drive and share the link for us to watch your steps? I think that will simply save sometime rather asking so many questions here.
Here's the video from before installing the SDK fix update:
(sorry about background music)

Country
us-ohio
I'll go give that a try, thanks!
Update: The error it gives me when I manually find the SDK is gone but it still gives me the same error when manually selecting the modeldef and when initializing FSX Toolset.

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
So, using the manual SDK-finder, does it work for you? I.e. after locating the SDK manually, do the animation list and attachpoint list fill up with values?

Country
us-ohio
So, using the manual SDK-finder, does it work for you? I.e. after locating the SDK manually, do the animation list and attachpoint list fill up with values?
I double checked and it's giving me an error again for both selecting SDK and ModelDef. It's saying that the Modeldef.xml file is not in the right place so I created the folder there and copied the modeldef file there as well and it still gives me this error
shot158.png
shot159.png

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Jason...

Can you show the location where the SDK is installed at?

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Man, I'm really sorry you're having such a hard time getting this to work. And I am still clueless what could possibly cause this issue.
I attached a shortened modeldef.xml, that works on my machine. It's just the core and three animations to check whether or not it loads correclty. Could you do me a favor and try loading this file and see if that works?

If it does, there must be something fishy with your modeldef.xml file. If it doesn't it might be some system settings on your machine that wrongly interpret the file. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the region-code issue in GMax - Gmax wouldn't work properly if your windows settings for the decimal used the European , instead of the .
Maybe this is something similar?! Something specific to your machine that doesn't allow the parser to properly interpret the file...

Attachments

• silly_modeldef.zip
    720 bytes · Views: 132
Country
us-ohio
Man, I'm really sorry you're having such a hard time getting this to work. And I am still clueless what could possibly cause this issue.
I attached a shortened modeldef.xml, that works on my machine. It's just the core and three animations to check whether or not it loads correclty. Could you do me a favor and try loading this file and see if that works?

If it does, there must be something fishy with your modeldef.xml file. If it doesn't it might be some system settings on your machine that wrongly interpret the file. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the region-code issue in GMax - Gmax wouldn't work properly if your windows settings for the decimal used the European , instead of the .
Maybe this is something similar?! Something specific to your machine that doesn't allow the parser to properly interpret the file...
Good news, that modeldef you sent me solved the problem. I figured out that some SODE code in my modeldef file must have corrupted it and when I tried to restore the original as recommended earlier, I forgot to remove the last line of code from SODE. I removed that last line of SODE code and now everything is working. No wonder the problem seemed so obscure. It was nothing wrong on your guys' end but rather my end. Thanks so much for helping me figure this out! Now I've just gotta figure out how to reinsert the SODE code without corrupting it again.

Last edited: