Failed to find FSX SDK installation path!

I cannot get the FSX export from Gmax to work.
When I try to export the MDL file I get "Failed to find FSX SDK installation path!"
There where no errors duringe the installing of the SDK and the new sp1.

The FSX plugins in Gmax works fine.

JonPatch

Resource contributor
Did you install into the default folders or did you change during installation? You have to run ConfigSDK if you did not use the default ...

Jon

JonPatch

Resource contributor
That non-standard location I suspect is your problem. What do you mean (ie what messages do you get) by "not work" when you try to run ConfigSDK?

I haven't tried to install in a non-standard location, but I know some folks have got it to work. So this is likely as far as I can take you.

Jon

I tried the ConfigSDK, and I did not get any error messages.
But It did not work any better after that.

I guess I just got to try to install it in the default location :(

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I have my SDK installed in F:\SDK\FsX and that is working fine. So I am not sure if the path is really the problem. Do you get the error right after you select the export option or do you get the options screen?

I suspect your problem is not using the correct export option. If you read the documentation, it specifically says to use the Flight Simulator Direct X File (*.X) format, and NOT the one you listed in this forum.

Please, make sure to read all the documentation and don't make assumptions about behavior being *the same* as in FS9; we made some significant changes to the process for FSX, and it's important to understand those changes.

That said, I'm sure you are not the first (or last) to make this mistake; ideally we would have pulled the non-functioning options out of the list, but that would have delayed the release further and added a bunch of risk to getting the exporter to work properly. Please pass on this knowledge to others who have similar problems.

Thanks!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
I get the filename box, and chose Flightsim Model(*.MDL).
I do not get any options box after that.
How did you install your gamepack into GMax? All I basically did after installig the SDK was to copy the gamepacks folder into gmax\gamepacks and start GMax with the proper shortcut. As I said before that works fine.

Ah - please disregard. I was referring to 3DSM, not GMax. I apologize.

Need...more...coffee...
Here you go :coffee:

But still good to see you around here. The documentation is indeed a bit confusing, there are other threads already where people did follow the documentation and ask where the X file option in GMax is (which is not there of course).

How did you install your gamepack into GMax? All I basically did after installig the SDK was to copy the gamepacks folder into gmax\gamepacks and start GMax with the proper shortcut. As I said before that works fine.
That is the same method I used.
I have now tried to uninstall SP1 and repaired the original SDK installation.
Then I reinstalled SP1 and copied the gamepack again.
Does still not work :(

When I install the SP1 I get a error message about "not enough disk space".
I think this might be because Windows cant find the path to the SDK.
But when I choose a disk and a location the installation seems to continue without problems.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Did you see this other thread about export trouble? You might want to check the .NET framework and your DirectX version as well.