• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Feature Request - Way to add samples via scenProc for Texture Filter Editor

Country
unitedstates
Loving the IR detection feature in scenProc for creating trees via the Texture Filter Editor. However, one has to manually select and drop in image samples in the Feature Detection. I typically select around 15 bmp samples, each around 1000x1000px. which is all fine and dandy on small batches. But we are creating images/vegetation with 1000's of images and would like to select samples based on those images for accurate detection.

As a humble request, would it be possible to add a step in scenProc where the user can select a folder which contains the samples they wish to use? Adding the step would replace or override any samples that were placed manually in the tool. Something like we have already:

DetectFeatures|FTYPE="RASTER"|B:\Scripting\scenPROCv3\scriptsVEG\VegTrace-211.tfc|String;VegType|tree|NONE|DONTPROCESSHOLES

then the user could add this step in addition if they wish something like:

DetectSamples|FTYPE="BMP"|B:\CHICO\Section_161\image samples|?|?| <-- just an idea to use the samples found in the path folder. Have no idea what attributes, if any would be required.

Waiting with bated breath, ha!

thx, marcus

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Do you know that you can just select multiple files at once in the texture filter editor? There is no need to select them one by one.

As the samples are only used in the texture filter editor and are not used by the DetectFeatatures steps I don't see a need to be able to set them from the script.

Country
unitedstates
Thx, yes, I am aware of being able to select them manually. That is what I have been doing. I wanted to automate this step in some manner and this was the easiest way I could think of... by the ability to select by a folder. I was afraid the request was to specific. But we use 15 samples per image to ensure accuracy and wanted to remove this manual step of selecting new samples

Hey, just thinking out loud (as I have not tried this), if I had samples already selected and placed in the TFE and then changed the samples but not their filenames, if I restarted scenProc/TFE, would that refresh samples to load/use these new samples because the sample filename was same? Or, let's say TFE is relying on the path/folder where those samples are located so I keep the path the same, the filenames the same but I have changed the samples. Could that "sneak by" TFE to show use the updated samples?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
No, the samples are stored in the TFC file and not referenced by their path. So that would not work.

I think adding a button to remove all samples would help (I have hit that obstacle myself as well). Then adding the new samples is easy to do by multi selecting all in a specific folder.

But are you really using 15 samples per image? I usually start with about 10 samples for the entire area (all images) and only add more when I encounter detection issues. The samples I then add are for those specific issue situations.

If you have too many samples it is a lot of work to check them all when you tune parameters of the script. Does not sound effective to me.

Country
unitedstates
Actually, I have not tried it yet. I usually work in sizes of LOD10 and my code creates 15 samples per LOD10 image. I could always reduce it to say back to 10 or 12 if you think 15 is overkill. In a test I conducted, I used 10 samples and it did work very good for the surrounding 24 images (I work in areas that are 25 LOD10s at a time). So, if I had to, I could just keep using 10 but I thought automating the switching/loading sample process would be so helpful and would provide more accuracy? I figureI have everything automated except the "sample injection" process, why not add this? too? Again may be over kill.

What I also found was once I create a TFE profile, I did not need to change it for an entire area. Now I am going to test more areas which have more varieties of landcover but maybe if will remain accurate as the photographic imagery was all collected at the same time?

Any way of automating this inside TFE, what you said below:
"I think adding a button to remove all samples would help (I have hit that obstacle myself as well). Then adding the new samples is easy to do by multi selecting all in a specific folder.

marcus