• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Finland sceneries

Country
finland
Hi!

I have been showing here some sceneries that I have been working on. All of the sceneries below are now available at www.fsnordic.net File Library freely to download.

Let's begin with a general update for the whole Finland.

Finland Base Pack
At the moment it includes Water class and the most accurate mesh data for the whole country. (10m mesh)
An update to version 1.1 adds some objects necessary to other sceneries and street lights for biggest roads in Finland. (The street lights are actually true to life parts of the roads, but sadly only the biggest roads)

Basepack.jpg

FIN_Obstdata
Finland obstacle data includes the tallest masts, chimneys, windmills and some construction cranes for the whole country of Finland. I haven't had time to model many towers but the tallest one "Näsinneula" in Tampere is included. (Also in the screenshot below)
The masts, chimneys and windmills are modelled in their correct height above ground.
You need SODE module for this scenery.

Obstdata.jpg

Finnish lighthouses
I have shown screenshots of this scenery before and the scenery and it's various versions has been available at FSNordic forum but this is the first major release. (Although I call it version 7)

The scenery includes dozens of Finnish lighthouses with correctly modelled light sequence but no sectors in the lights.

Lighthouse.jpg

At some point "I totally lost it" :D and added seamarks to FSX. The seamarks are in their real life positions some of them even in the biggest lakes in Finland. You might think this is total madness in the Flight sim, but they actually spice up the coast nicely and very beautifully the archipelagos. You might not want to keep this scenery active if flying airliners to the biggest airports in Finland. ;)

The included seamarks are:
Lateral marks
Cardinal marks
Safe water marks
Isolated danger marks
Byous

If you download Finnish lighthouses scenery, make sure you update the seamarks from this zip file.
http://www.tatukantomaa.net/FSX/FIN_Lighthouse_Seamarks_fix.zip

Lighthouse_2.jpg

Lighthouse_3.jpg

I am not fin(n)ished yet..... :santahat:

Next up is my beloved Rovaniemi.
Rovaniemi revisited 3
The real life EFRO got a new asphalt and new runway lights last summer. So I have updated the scenery and created new runway light systems using SODE module. For the first time... also the two jetways are animated using SODE.
Uninstall the previous version, Rovaniemi revisited 3 includes a new polished Rovaniemi scenery.
Rovaniemi_rv_3.jpg

And last but by no means the least.... actually this is the biggest one of all similar to ORBX region sceneries:
Postcards from Lapland

This unusual name comes from the fact, that the scenery has many photoreal areas that represent the beauty (or ugliness) of Finnish Lapland. All Lapland airports have now photoreal surroundings with seasons and autogen. It was not possible to include any real life 3D models of airport buildings and such but the terrain looks much better. For those of you who are not familiar with the landscape I recommend checking the surroundings of all the airports listed below. I'll quote the manual here.
Lapland.jpg

Kilpisjärvi helipad
  • Detailed waterbodies
  • LandClass raster
  • LandClass polygons
  • Detailed roads and railways
  • 2-5m mesh for selected areas
  • Utility lines divided in two main parts:
High voltage electric lines have masts in real life positions (thousands of them in Lapland area)

Lower voltage electric lines have masts in generated positions (tens of thousands in Lapland area)
  • Enhanced airports. All Lapland airports have an enhanced AFCAD layout
EFAA - Aavahelukka (Close to Äkäslompolo, Ylläs)
EFEK - Kilpisjärvi helipad
EFET - Enontekiö
EFIV - Ivalo
EFJP - Jäkäläpää
EFKE - Kemi-Tornio
EFKM - Kemijärvi
EFKT - Kittilä
EFMP - Martiniiskonpalo
EFPA - Pokka
EFRU - Ranua
EFSO - Sodankylä
EFRO - Rovaniemi has it’s own detailed scenery and is not included in this package.

The Lapland scenery is divided in two parts:
Lapland_basic (airliner mode)
Lapland_added_detail (VFR mode)

For the basic part only the biggest airports are active, less roads and other details. When you add the detail part in active sceneries you get very accurate model of Lapland. Great for VFR flights.
(Note: Lapland_basic must be active with the detail part)
Lapland_2.jpg

No Grand canyon, but the canyon in Kevo looks great in sim too.

Lapland_3.jpg

Ylläs close to EFAA - Aavahelukka airfield

Lapland_4.jpg

Olostunturi close to village named Muonio

So there you have it. Thank you everyone who have helped me here in the forum, especially thanks for authors of wonderful tools. Arno's ScenProc has been running hot in my computer... ;)
Also thanks for SODE, SBuilderX and ADE.

Merry Christmas. I will try to check here in case you have some problems or questions and you can also reach me through E-mail that you can find on the manuals of these sceneries.

Last edited:
Country
sweden
Fantastic work Tatu! I have just two questions, I use Taburet Night 3D Finland and I actually really like it. Is there any way to install the Lappland electricity masts only? Also, is all of this compatible with Finland X which I use?

T. Andreas

GHD

Country
england
There are at least two missing library objects:

{f0539cd8-68a1-41d1-a83e-579dcedc206d}

{221b0e9b-a7bd-4916-b706-473651d855e6}

Both of these are referenced multiple times in LAPLAND_ADDED_DETAIL

Country
finland
There are at least two missing library objects:

{f0539cd8-68a1-41d1-a83e-579dcedc206d}

{221b0e9b-a7bd-4916-b706-473651d855e6}

Both of these are referenced multiple times in LAPLAND_ADDED_DETAIL

Hi. Those are the electric poles and referenced thousands of times:D. You could install the Finland_base_pack. Or if you don't want to do that, then take at least the Finland_base_pack_update_1_1.zip and:

Copy Finland_library.bgl to Lapland_basic/Scenery folder.

Last edited:
Country
finland
Hi
Looks really great and some of us do not consider it as madness to add seamarks... at least not more madness than adding ships :D
Henrik
Yeah, I know. When I was testing lighthouse helipads I landed many times on a ship and let the ship take me somewhere else.

By the way... I was asked to do the cranes of Helsinki Vuosaari harbor for Obstdata scenery. I did that, but added the harbor too. Any possibilities to get the cargo ships docking there? :ziplip:

Country
finland
Fantastic work Tatu! I have just two questions, I use Taburet Night 3D Finland and I actually really like it. Is there any way to install the Lappland electricity masts only? Also, is all of this compatible with Finland X which I use?

Thanks. The lights first. The answer is yes. Finland_base_pack_update_1_1.zip includes the lights (named "katuvalot"). Install just the Finland_library.bgl and the textures and leave all the "katuvalot" bgl's out.
You can also remove streetlights from Rovaniemi by removing Rovaniemi_lights_XXX.bgl files.

I updated to FTX_Global a year ago and it broke FinlandX. That's one of the reasons that I decided to do this a bit differently. Also the source data is much more accurate now. This should work however.
1. Leave FinlandX below all the new sceneries in scenery library.
2. Remove mesh_XXXX.bgl files, Finland_seasoning.bgl and FinnWaterClassXDither.bgl from FinlandX Scenery folder.
3. Install Finland_base_pack above FinlandX updated but without katuvalot bgls in your case.
Then Lapland
Then Obstdata
Then lighthouses
Then Rovaniemi
etc.

It should work this way. :)

Last edited:
Country
sweden
Thanks a lot! I also want to say extra thanks for the seamarks and lighthouses as I recognize some of them from the real world here around Vaasa, excellent!

T. Andreas

GHD

Country
england
Hi. Those are the electric poles and referenced thousands of times:D. You could install the Finland_base_pack. Or if you don't want to do that, then take at least the Finland_base_pack_update_1_1.zip and:

Copy Finland_library.bgl to Lapland_basic/Scenery folder.
Hmm, I do have the Finland _base_pack active, but there isn't a Finland_library.bgl :confused:

Here are the contents:

H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack>dir /b /s

H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Texture
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\0_Helsinki_Mesh_2m.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\0_Koli_Mesh_2m.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\0_Lahti_Mesh_2m.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\0_Ruka_Mesh_2m.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\0_Tampere_Mesh_2m.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\0_Vuokatti_Mesh_2m.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\1_Finland_mesh_Center2_10m.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\1_Finland_mesh_center_10m.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\1_Finland_mesh_south_10m.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\1_Lapland_mesh_10m.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\Finland_WaterClass.bgl
H:\Finland\Finland_Base_Pack\Scenery\FinSeasons.bgl

GHD

Country
england
I hope you get it to work.
Well, it does tax my AMD Phenom II X4 940 @3.0GHz with 8GB RAM running XP :)

Since I do not have SODE, I removed Rovaniemi_Revisited.

I now have a missing object {9dd5ea38-7261-4e1b-84e6-33fa46c39801} used by:

Seamarks_1.BGL
Seamarks_10.BGL
Seamarks_4.BGL
Seamarks_5.BGL
Seamarks_8.BGL
Seamarks_0.BGL

Country
azerbaijan
Thank you very much, Tatu! It's good to see FinlandX side by side with amazing freeware packages for Norway and Sweden. The more area is covered the better... :) Actually I want to thank you for taking my memories back to good ol' FS9 days full of unforgettable experience of flying over Finland...

Country
denmark
Yeah, I know. When I was testing lighthouse helipads I landed many times on a ship and let the ship take me somewhere else.

By the way... I was asked to do the cranes of Helsinki Vuosaari harbor for Obstdata scenery. I did that, but added the harbor too. Any possibilities to get the cargo ships docking there? :ziplip:

Yes, that can be done :D

Country
sweden
I have request for Tatu, Replot Bridge in Korsholm near Vaasa. It's Finlands longest bridge and one of the most famous landmarks of the region. Yet, it hasn't been reproduced within FSX, there actually isn't any bridge at all in default FSX scenery or Finland X in it's place even thought it was inaugurated as early as 1997(!). I've seen an FS2002 variant at fsnordic but I'm not sure it's placed right or compatible. Any way, if you ever find the time...;): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replot_Bridge

Country
finland
Hi Tatu, I am very happy finding some of your lighthouses; they are beautiful and interesting. A problem is for me to find the topics. For instance the lighthouse in Helsinki with helipad. Where is this lighthouse? I only found Majakat, which is not in your PDF_list and has no helipad! In GE I found near Herlsinki Soderskar but not in my FSX. Is there a other possibility for me finding the lighthouses?
Season greetings from Vienna!

Yes, I can understand that it is hard to find them. I think part of the fun is actually searching them.... not always very easy to find.

You can use this for example:
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luokka:Suomen_majakat

That is a list of all the lighthouses. (Majakka = lighthouse) Click the link and you get coordinates.

Here is a bit unclear map, but maybe you can read the names and see roughly where the lighthouses are.
http://www.lighthousetourism.net/seminaari/Suomen_majakat.pdf

In default flight planner it is possible to do a flight plan to custom coordinates. For example let's find Helsinki lighthouse. First go to Flights -> Flight planner
Then do a flight for example from
1. EFHE (Hernesaari helipad) to
2. EFHF (Malmi airport)
3. VFR
4. Direct - GPS
5. Find route

In the map view that opens drag the red flight plan line to the sea somewhere to an empty spot and you'll get a custom waypoint named WP1

Then on the right side of the window select the WP1 in the list and then Edit waypoint
You can write the name in the description and now just change the coordinates to Helsinki majakka (lighthouse)
N59.949
E24.926333

Click OK and now you have a flight plan to the lighthouse guided by GPS.

If you fly during DUSK/DAWN/NIGHT you can see the lighthouse's lights.... Helsinki lighthouse is quite far away from the city but if I remember correctly you can see the light to Helsinki. (Bearing is roughly to the south)

On the way you probably pass and see another lighthouse called Harmaja, blinking red light. :)

Happy hunting! ;)